Aldi Yay/Nay Summer 2018

Def. found whole duck frozen at our location in NJ. Great price as you said, delicious and we bought 3 last year in case the offering was short lived.

Thanks! I never noticed it before. Hope itā€™s not a regional offering. My Costco carries the Mapleleaf duck very briefly in the fall. Iā€™ve seen it at other times of the year in the NE and in Florida. This sort of thing makes me dream of an extra freezerā€¦

An extra freezer is a beautiful thing!

2 Likes

I was near Walmart and had some time so I decided to check out their price on Dukeā€™s. Same as Aldi - $3.12.

Interestingly Walmart had Dukeā€™s in the gallon size for less than Costco at $7.82 iirc. I donā€™t buy mayo by the gallon but I have this strange fascination for the damn thing and always have to gaze upon it. I donā€™t even want to speculate on what that means!

1 Like

Some new yays:

Sliced Iberico ham. To me it tastes better than the prosciutto. I even added a little to the top of a quiche before baking - delicious

Knopper chocolate, hazelnut, and milk wafers. These are like Manner wafers but waaaaay better. I donā€™t even like hazelnut and have trouble stopping at one. Good thing theyā€™re individually wrapped.

Sour cream - assume itā€™s a regional supplier. Yummy.

Refried beans - tasty, easy

Burmanā€™s hot sauce - a little salty but good on wings. I wonder which one this is rebranded? Cholula? Frankā€™s?

German beer brats - legit

Meh - new roasted red pepper dressing. A bit thin and tart.

I need to ask you Aldi fans a question. We have just one Aldi near us and I checked it out last week. Approximately a third of the space looks more like a Tuesday Morning than its sister Trader Joeā€™s. Shelving units, office supplies, small kitchen and hardware items the rest of it reminded me of a Grocery Outlet store. Is this their standard set up??

From what I have read on HO Aldi stores vary alot. I know that the store I go to in NJ is moving into a bigger space and it could be very likely that more merch will include products you are seeing. That would be disappointing.

Yeah, they have a home and garden section typically with seasonal items and specials. Itā€™s a German thing. :woman_shrugging:

My Aldiā€™s is an older store. 1/3 is about right for ā€œseasonalā€ specials. Sometimes it has more home goods. other times more yard/garden, then there are times when about half of it is food related.

There can be some great deals!

Most recent buy was two vac packed sides of salmon, eggs and a bag of white potatoes. I know I had a couple more items but canā€™t recall. Bummed that it took me so long to check out. Only two lanes opened

Wish I hadnā€™t discovered the chocolate brioche is a YAY!

Like 32 MagnaBlocks knock-offs(?) for $12.99!

More yays:

Tuna in foil packets

Cannellini beans

Cinnamon-roll dough (tube). Actual spirals with cinnamon sugar, not biscuits with cinnamon bits. Yay! I donā€™t buy this stuff except as a tacky-yet-tasty treat for guests (old friends).

Tub of prepared guacamole (not the bag-in-a-box). Actual tomatoes, onions, and cilantro. Not bad for quick and easy when the store has no ripe avocados.

Fresh mozzarella balls and pearls

Boxed Bibb lettuce

Apple cider vinegar with the mother

Vegetarian meatballs - pretty sure they are Morningstar Farms. My babe likes them rolled in sour cream.

Nays:

Canned chickpeas (too firm)

Organic whole milk Simply Nature plain yogurt - kinda overpriced at $5.49, hope this was a fluke. Actually delicious.

Aldi and Trader Joeā€™s are not really related. They are two completely separate companies owned by brothers whose father founded the original Aldiā€™s in Germany. They run separate Aldi companies in much of the world.

In the US at least, Aldi is much more like an outlet store. Trader Joeā€™s is a discount grocery as well, but it strikes me as a high end discount store.

Yeah. I guess estranged brother is a term some writers have usd. My ā€œsisterā€ reference was likely derived from the frequent comparison of the two chains. After visiting our Aldiā€™s Iā€™ve concluded any comparison is more appropriate to Grocery Outlet, except for Aldiā€™s private branded products and their hard goods.

I see in the online flyer for next week theyā€™re going to be featuring several of their Earth Grown veggie burger patties (here, anyway). Has anybody ever tried any of these? The packaging looks like Morningstar Farms. I like MSF spicy black bean burgers but other varieties and brands I have tried, including at least one other Morningstar variety, have had mushy texture and tend to fall apart too easily.

Deutsche Kuche Pork Schnitzel - 4 - 6oz patties, frozen, $6.99 as I remember.

A lot of the DK products come and go but I see this in the freezer section regularly and decided to try it.

Cooked from frozen, per pkg. directions, I was not pleased. The resultant patty was thicker and tougher than I wanted and I didnā€™t care for the saltine cracker breading.

I defrosted one completely, put it in a plastic bag and went after it with the side of my meat mallet, tenderizing it and flattening it considerably.

The resultant fried schnitzel was much better; youā€™ll get a few bare spots lacking breading but the tenderness factor is much better and I wasnā€™t as bothered by the cracker coating for some reason.

1 Like

Donā€™t know Earth Grown, but the problem with most veggie burgers is that they are low in protein, so donā€™t really substitute for meat. The only ones Iā€™ve found that have enough protein are Boca Burgers.

The chipotle black bean one is good. The generic veggie patty is kind of lame, rather mushy and I donā€™t like the whole pieces of random veggies in it.

I do think they are MorningStar Farms rebranded.

Not the type of thing I buy regularly, but I picked up some chicken breast breaded rings, apparently from Canada. They make a good quick, easy-to-eat protein for our kiddo.

The frozen tater tots are also good :joy: