Airplane Food

Just think if they had ‘platters’ of, say, turkey, ham and roast beef. Three different kind of cheeses. Various vegetarian and vegan things. Decent bread. Condiments for those who want to make a sandwich. Fruit bowl? Cookies/candies. Having worked in the industry a lifetime ago and traveling internationally a couple of times a year, I give this a little thought. But then I tell myself that there are those who will complain about no “hot food.” Sigh.

1 Like

I wasn’t even thinking about the smell of the food itself…

Ha ha ha. So true.

Didn’t I read it here or Chowhound, that the smell of peanut can be allergic to people who are allergic to peanut? I am not sure how real a threat is, but is that what you are talking about?

I dont know about the smell of peanut butter, but the airborne peanut ‘dust’ when everyone opens their peanuts at once can trigger reactions in some folks.

No. Not referring to allergies, just the smell of peanut butter. I think overcooked airplane food (redundant?) likely smells worse than anything carried on :slight_smile:

SW still serves peanuts and maybe Delta. I remember reading that one of those, if notified in advance of an allergy, won’t serve them on the flight.

1 Like

I kind of like airplane food, even the so called overcooked ones. Maybe the food themselves are not great, but usually they are served when I am pretty hungry. When a person is pretty hungry, most things taste pretty good.

Overall, I do dislike the airplane flying experience: long security check line, waiting for delayed flight for hours (sometime), people all cramped together on the plane (and I am speaking as a skinny guy too), having to sleep sitting upright, someone lost my luggage… In light of all that, the airline food is probably the most acceptable part for me. :smiley:

I agree with you. As I said, it’s fuel. And on a long, monotonous flight it’s something to look forward to. That and the drink cart :slight_smile:

1 Like

I assume that will be the same for tree nuts too (airborne nuts dust).

I wonder if this true for other things too. So if I am allergic seafood, does it means someone eating seafood next to me could somehow affects me too. My guess is no, since seafood does not fly around.

I’ll just tack this on here. I’m not into blogs when it comes to medical advice but this seems well grounded.

http://mylifewithfoodallergies.com/index/10-tips-for-flying-safely-with-food-allergies/

That level of sensitivity exists with almost any allergy - I had a friend who ate french fries that had been cooked in the same oil as a deviled crab – her entire face swelled up because of the cross-contamination.

A former colleague’s wife is so sensitive to yeast and gluten that she had an allergic reaction when her husband kissed her after having a beer at an after-work happy hour.

Serious allergies are really scary stuf.

1 Like

Worst food experience was on AA in first class where they served tuna quiche. I wasn’t feeling well to begin with and that s really did not help matters. Best was BizFirst on Continental to Hawaii with lobster and that marvelous ice cream cart for dessert. Now I’m usually stuck in coach on the shit can that is United so I bring Triscuits, laughing cow “cheese”, plastic knife and vodka.

2 Likes

Ugh. Tuna quiche doesn’t sound good, period.

1 Like

on ANY level!

1 Like

never ever get on a plane hungry.
or - considering the project flight duration -
any reasonable suspicion you may become hungry.
eat first, regrets you can save for later.

and always pack an emergency food kit.
it’s quite common that things in the air do not go according to stomach plan.

1 Like

Worst airplane meals, we got several from Air China…eeeek…

We tried the Chinese style meal, the Western style meal, nothing was right.

Breakfast with congee, mushroom congee

Chicken rice and don’t even know what is the black seaweed thing with a tasteless strange texture surimi

Beef sphagetti (pasta soft)

No more! Thanks!

1 Like

The paid meal from Air Asia are much much better.

It’s rare that airplane meal is spicy. I guess since you need to pay for your drink, they don’t mind you get very thirsty.

Uncle Chin Chicken rice with a chilli, ginger and garlic sauce

Lemang with Beef Rendang

The portions are small, but they taste better than normal airplane food.

1 Like

I feel like that in either case, they tried. I believe I had much worse looking foods.

1 Like

How on earth are you (or is he or she - this is an old post) able to take vodka on board?

Simple. 3ounce refillable containers from the Target travel aisle. They fit in the one quart ziploc bag along with the toothpaste, hairspray, etc.