Airplane Food

My best friend’s father had a fetish with buying luggage. It used to drive his family crazy. One day he’d come home with the biggest suitcase we’d ever seen. So ask a joke, they zipped me up inside it and then asked him to move his suitcase out of the kitchen.

Those aren’t necessarily carry-ons, hey? if it’s Chinese visitors, than they’re certainly buying up what they can abroad. Can’t trust their own domestic manufacturers. Lately, I have thought that duty free shops could make a killing selling toothpaste, bog rolls and infant formula…

As for checked luggage, I think luggage handlers for Africa- and Philippines-bound flights never see a dull moment.

No shit, Sherlock.

2 Likes

Sample fare on United from Newark to San Francisco. Lowest economy is about $300 round trip, first class is $1200+. So to get ‘better’ food I should pay 4X as much. Not in my lifetime.

3 Likes

I had friends who ordered the halal meal (as the tastiest) and then washed it down with wine or beer…

2 Likes

I hadn’t thought about halal. That’s a great idea. And I’ll also “wash it down.” :slight_smile: Thanks.

1 Like

when I figure out how to avoid that, I’ll let you know – but I have two choices – fly in steerage or stay home.

3 Likes

I love the hostility! Notice United wasn’t in my list and I also wouldn’t count on a good meal on a trans-con flight. You might want to look into credit card churning. It’s a nice hobby that affords you the ability to fly in business and or first. Unfortunately, it has grown increasingly crowded and the game is slowly dying.

United was just an example. I use my point for flights not upgrades. And we regularly have ten hour and more flights.

I saw this ad recently, and was fascinated. I deeply wish I could still request soul food on a domestic flight.

I love how the “Oriental” option looks pretty much like sliced pork roast and baked carrots…but with chopsticks!

Oh, yes. Credit card churning sounds like a super idea.

2 Likes

We don’t play the game but we DO charge everything we can to our card. But I can use those points for multiple trips rather than one in first.

1 Like

Actually, it works pretty well if you do it right and manage your finances properly. Your hostility is unwarranted. If you don’t care to do this yourself, fine, but many people benefit a lot from it (yours truly included).

Disagreement does not equal hostility – something to keep in mind, given this is the second time you’ve used the term in this discussion.

By all means, churn away if it works for ya.

2 Likes

Danger! Danger! Warning, Will RobinsonThread Drift Approaching!

I, too, charge as much as I can to cards which give me points for airline flights . . . either trans-continental or trans-Atlantic First Class. But it’s not “credit card churning” but rather I just don’t spend cash or use my debit card. It’s actually pretty simple/easy.

1 Like

Agreed. I actually didn’t know the term and thought it was something else. IF I used points to upgrade it sure wouldn’t be for the food. When we flew out of LAX to SE Asia last spring I have to admit to being slightly tempted to do a ‘carry on’ of Petrossian caviar :slight_smile: http://www.petrossian.com/boutique-los-angeles-airport-champagne-and-caviar-bar-8.html

2 Likes

Actually, it’s the first time I’ve used the word; the previous usage was by llama21, who said it in response to your remark “No shit, Sherlock.” Which to me sounds hostile, as does your subsequent remark “credit card churning sounds like a super idea.” I agree that disagreement is fine, but your comments and tone go well beyond expressing simple disagreement.

1 Like

Right. My bad.

It’s all subjective. I thought Cathay’s business class food sucked. Turkish, Asiana and Japanese airlines have better eats in economy class.

Also, what’s with Cathay serving noodle soup in business class? Because it’s “comfort” food? It’s no guarantee anymore that everyone is paying to sit up front, but since we’re there, you might as well try to give off the impression that it’s not economy class. It’s clear that there’s no need to do so, I guess…