Airplane Food

saw this just a couple of weeks ago – interesting stuff

1 Like

I rarely get something at the airport, unless that airport A) has supermarkets (uncommon in the states, but more common in Europe/Singapore) and B) it’s a Korean airport.

However, having a snack is more important, b/c delays can affect meal service/blood sugar/other factors.

I’ve brought this sandwich onboard and had flight attendants drooling over it. Don’t worry about “smell.” I use Ortiz tuna packed in olive oil. It’s ridiculously deliciously.

3 Likes

I like that one . Have you tried As do Mar from Italy ?

Hadn’t heard of it but will try to find it.

Obviously it depends upon the airport. For example, SFO actually has some pretty delicious options; so does SEA and LHR. LGW, SAN, MSY – not so much . . .

We did that with BA on our last trip. The extra leg room, etc , was possibly worth the extra money but I’m not convinced. Can’t recall what we ate but do rememeber quality was better than in cattle class.

Agreed. I always try to leave a bit of time to grab a bite in SFO, often to go for the flight home. There is a really decent dim sum place in the United Terminal which makes a great to go box. A few buns, a few dumplings, and they sell bottled beer you can take on the flight as well. Win win.

1 Like

can you imagine doing that job, though?

Feed 300 people:

• something that they all will at least not hate
  • within a set budget
  • that can be prepared in the galley of an aircraft and still be fresh/tasty – all the crunchy bits crunchy, and the stuff that’s not supposed to be crunchy is neither frozen nor mushy nor crusted over
  • that will still be appealing when the altitude deadens the palates of all those people
  • fits commercial nutrition guidelines.

Talk about a nightmare job.

1 Like

I’ve read that Koi Palace is going to be opening a place in SFO.

I’m not just going to “fork you” here, Sunshine :slight_smile: I get so sick of people complaining. I don’t expect Greyhound or Amtrak to provide me good food. Don’t know airlines get such a bad rap.

1 Like

Maybe because airline food didn’t use to be utter shite on a plate? I remember flying Olympic in the 80s, and the food was more than decent.

Considering everything that costs extra these days, I wonder if they couldn’t try to make the food at least edible.

But as I’ve said above - planning ahead will do, too, and with much better results.

I agree with you on this. I regard it as fuel and go in with no expectations.

1 Like

Yes it’s a nice surprise when it’s better than edible. I do wish they would warm the rolls when they warm the entrees, the cold rolls are rarely worth eating.

Like I said in my OP, I wish you could order ahead (without paying extra) so that they don’t run out of your first choice. If they just had you tick the box, chicken, beef, fish or pasta a day or 2 before your flight.

Agree with Singapore – I’ve flown it a number of times when coming/going to Singapore/Malaysia/India. I actually don’t mind the food on SIA. Everything is warm/cold as it’s supposed to be, including the rolls, and they have free flowing wine. In fact, I actually crave this one curry chicken bun they provide in their midnight snack basket! I’ve had those in many places, but I think the SIA one is the best.

Worst meal would be on Malaysian Airlines. Rubbery skin on chicken for every meal. Every meal tasted the same. Won’t have to suffer through that again since I refuse to fly them now after their 2 air disasters.

I rarely fly domestic, but when I do, I usually bring my own cheese/crackers/apple/granola bar combo to tide me over if it’s a longer flight. I don’t bother with a snack on a flight of <3 hours.

1 Like

When I flew Korean Air to Japan, the stewardess went down the aisle taking dinner orders, and I noticed something interesting — to every Asian person, she’d just say “bibimbap?” and they’d nod. When she got to a non-Asian, she’d ask if they wanted “chicken or beef”. I asked for bibimbap and she smiled and nodded. It was actually very decent bibimbap, with little sachets of gochujang and chopsticks. The businessman next to me had what looked like salisbury steak, and he kept looking at my bibimbap bowl enviously.

2 Likes

my 40 year “jobs” entailed a lot of domestic and international flying.
I quite regularly hit the top tier “club” levels of multiple airlines; it’s not a brag - do that, you’ll find it is a real PITA.

I had / have two very simple rules:
1 - never ever get on an airplane hungry
2 - never ‘depend’ on them feeding you

number one reason is the food. and almost without exception I was flying in Business / First Class. a lot of airline food should be classified as hazardous waste.

number two reason is you cannot depend on getting anything to eat.

depend? yup. PHL to BOS to FRA. left BOS near two hours late; the crew had trouble staying either on the deck or the overhead - bumpity bump for hours and hours. all food / drink service suspended. they intended to service breakfast prior to FRA, but found out the food trays were spattered all over the insides of something or other and not fit for service.
so it was: Coffee or Nothing for you Sir?

"Oh, I’m sorry but we ran out . . "
“Oh, I’m sorry but the catering service did not . . .”
an endless list of excuses you’ll not really want to hear about.

for the 5-8 hour flights, arriving at the gate fully fed works.
for the 10-18 hour flights, pack a lunch and snacks. you’ll likely need it.

The entrees are loaded in a container with a heater to warm the hot main course that is then placed on the serving tray. The rolls, if not offered from a basket, are usually already loaded on the tray with the other cold items such as appetizer and salad.

Obviously.