A Vent: Over Dining Out in Boston

This is all true in Asheville, NC, too. I feel like pleasurable dining out was a casualty of the pandemic that will take a while to recover (or never?).

3 Likes

But why restaurants, what makes small unique shops different? (This board has obviously a heavy food focus but we have to look at it from a more realistic view of a general population)

I would argue they are different. But try the mental exercise of eliminating restaurants. The results might support my argument.

Here’s an interesting example of a model used to support artists in other media: http://www.bostonplans.org/housing/artist-live-work-program

1 Like

That is again a very food focused view which is driven by this very specific discussion board. I would expect that is you would do a poll in the average population what would be more important for them to support, restaurants vs small shops, corner store etc. I am not sure restaurants would win

Is there no rent control on residential dwellings??

No, there is no rent control in Massachusetts.

“Massachusetts law currently does not enforce rent control restrictions, and there is no legal limit to the amount that landlords can increase the rent by. Landlords are free to choose their own rent prices.”

“In Massachusetts, landlords are permitted to increase the rent at any time, provided they give the required notice, are not doing so during the fixed duration of the lease (unless the lease agreement specifically permits it), and do not do it to discriminate or retaliate against the tenant.”

https://www.doorloop.com/laws/massachusetts-rent-control-laws#:~:text=Massachusetts%20law%20currently%20does%20not,choose%20their%20own%20rent%20prices.

6 Likes

Yep. It is in part what spurred us, all the way back in 2006, to finally decide to buy a condo. We came to the realization that a mortgage payment (between the two of us) would be about the same as we each were paying in rent. Now I think we’re actually getting to the point where it may be less…

7 Likes

Yikes! That’s sad :frowning:

1 Like

In Massachusetts, employers with 11 or more employees must provide paid sick time (up to 40 hours/year). Employers with fewer than 11 employees must provide earned sick time, but it does not need to be paid.

While it’s not a lot, it is something.

4 Likes

I share your feelings about this, @Thimes. Slowly but surely, we fell away from going into Boston to dine on any regular basis because of traffic and parking. That’s even before getting into the other factors you mention. The hassle and expense became prohibitive for us. I’m sure that restaurant owners feel the squeeze too.

Dining out is a source of joy so we’ve shifted. We are still fortunate enough to have room in the budget for discretionary expenses, which now go to experiences more accessible to us.

We like supporting a few local spots where we know the owner(s) and staff. Takeout too, because life is too short to settle for overpriced wine with my meal. Late lunches—when there’s no rush to turn a table—on Cape Ann where we can also enjoy coastal scenery. Low-key visits to beer taprooms in our region where we can grab a snack. Dining out when we get to travel, so we can try dishes and foods we don’t have closer to home. Also true: I cook at home more than ever.

On the now-rare occasions when we might venture into Boston, what would catch my eye would be something like Hook + Line. An independent place run by a veteran restaurateur where I’m willing to bet on the food and hospitality. That’s a factor where landlords make the difference, by giving independent restaurants a foothold as amenities that can help the value of their real estate holdings.

6 Likes

Yeah, when it comes to human behavior, few good things happen overnight. At least the sun will come up in the East.

If only the T were at all reliable any more. It’s fine for short hops at non peak hours but not much else. We do a lot of extensive walking in the city, but that isn’t for everyone. If I lived somewhere I needed to commute in to most restaurants, I’d rarely make the trip

2 Likes

Too true, unfortunately.

1 Like

not only does the bso own symphony hall, they own that entire block: huntington avenue to st. stephen street; mass avenue to gainsbourgh street

1 Like

Same for us. We weren’t married in 2002, but it was time (we were 46, and both first-time home buyers). We bought in East Somerville when Assembly Row (two blocks away) was KMart and Chuckie Cheese and some kind of gaming place. The mortgage for our 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath house was less from the beginning than the sum of what we were paying for separate one-bedroom apartments in Arlington and Cambridge.

Now even East Somerville is out of reach for most families, and our 1840 house has appreciated many times over. The housing situation in Greater Boston is very, very difficult.

5 Likes

I was in the area last week. (I live in Manhattan and visit every 1-2 months.) Saw a place in Boston Magazine that interested me. Made reservations about three weeks in advance as I knew I’d be in town that night. SHOJO in Central Square Cambridge has parking but we found street parking and paid with the Cambridge parking app.

It was 5:45 on a cold Tuesday in January so place was not crowded at all. Interesting pan-Asian food, fun cocktails, overall approachable menu, and very well priced. Waiter was new and didnt know the menu but was able to get answers to our questions.

I realize this is merely one experience, but mine was just lovely. Other positive experiences over the past two years include: Yvonne’s (Downtown Crossing), Sulmona (Kendall), Catalyst (Kendall), Dovetail (Navy Yard).

6 Likes

Haven’t read all of this thread, but if you’re only paying a 2% kitchen fee these days, that might be counted as below average.

We’ve come to a similar conclusion on fine dining recently. I wonder if this is a trend that goes in fits and starts every decade or generation? Then younger diners adjust to the new normal and the cycle starts over again? We’re in our mid-forties, not exactly ancient, and should be at the point where our incomes and our sprouts not needing babysitting anymore allow us to flex our fine dining muscles a little more robustly these days, but alas have come to a similar conclusion about the value proposition. The few places we’ve eaten that have felt “worth it” lately are usually lower priced, often ethnic and making a cuisine we can’t really replicate at home, and not places where drinks or alcohol are much of a focus. I think the mid-range restaurants where you order a couple pastas, maybe a fish dish and a pork chop, a few apps to share, and a glass of wine and a mocktail, then leave with a bill of $400 for the family, are the ones that are really pushing us away from dining out.

10 Likes

Are we married? This describes us to a T. I have been traveling abroad more for work (and personal). I think it’s less to do with a generational thing and more a what is going on in this country and our damaged food chain and economic systems. Also, while these trends are national, Boston (and all of New England) seem to be a particularly hard hit area. I know someone posted about NYC earlier in this thread, but I’d question where they are eating as I find plenty of mid priced or inexpensive meals I’d kill for in Boston, particularly in the outer boroughs.

5 Likes

I appreciate everyone’s perspectives - been keeping quiet since I laid it all out there in the beginning.

I get all the pressures influencing price - I guess for me, right now, the negatives far outweigh the positives. Hopefully something in there will give at some point, I do - did - enjoy going out.

Like others have mentioned, there are some small, much more casual, one-off/family run places in my neighborhood that I do still enjoy and will continue to support. But the others are on their own for a while.

Wow I hope someone comes up with a solution to help relieve some pressure and businesses adjust accordingly!!!

7 Likes

Not last I checked… :wink:

3 Likes