A Taco Journey - Delicious, Smoky Carne Asada, Juicy Al Pastor, Luscious Carnitas, Seafood Tacos and More! Tire Shop Taqueria, Villa Moreliana, Flaco, Holbox, Metro Balderas, Tacos La Guera and More [Thoughts + Pics]

Hi @js76wisco,

Thank you. :slight_smile: Yes, as Jeet mentioned, it’s Colossus Bakery. Yes I’ve tried them a few times, there’s a reason I haven’t written about them yet.

But they do make one thing really well and I’ll try writing that up soon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Right? :slight_smile: So good! Chori-Man is crazy good.

1 Like

Even more intriguing. It’s quite a schlep to that area for me so maybe I’ll back burner this trip.

2 Likes

Thanks for your recommendations again for Holbox. Tried the 4 seafood taco special which allowed us to try 4 tacos at a little above the price of 3, along with a scallop cerviche (refreshing and flavorful!). Tried the:
-wood-grilled kanpachi (solid and would try again)
-pulpo en su tinta (first time trying octopus! solid and would try again)
-2 pan seared scallops (delicious, would reorder, and would consider just ordering 4 scallop tacos next time)

On June 17th they’re having a prix-fixe dinner: https://www.instagram.com/p/CP1Q8JuDEiB/

4 Likes

I just had some excellent carnitas at Carnitas El Veneno in South Los Angeles.

They are doing carnitas on the weekend at the 8200 block of S Main St location in Los Angeles on Saturdays and Sundays. They only have carnitas in taco or torta form at this location so they are solely focused on the carnitas which was cooking on site with many of the pig parts kept warm in a cauldron of lard.

I ordered four different types although they have many pork iterations. They recommended using both the salsa rojo and verde together and I added some chopped cilantro and pickled onions and a splash of lime. They were not wrong about using both salsas, damn tasty. Oh, and they heat your tortillas with lard for an extra potent porky presence.

(1) mixta - a variety of pig parts including maciza, trompa, cueritos, lengua, costillita, chicharron, and buche, excellent, every bite was luscious with the different textures of pork coming through.

(2) chicharron - dear mother of god this was insanely good, not too much fat as they chop it up nicely but enough that is evenly distributed and the crispy pig skin was the bees fuckin knees. This is reminiscent of the crunchy pig skin of Ruby BBQ in El Monte.

(3) costillita - incredible, a punch of pork flavor and that amazing mouthfeel of melted down pork collagen. This was my second favorite to the above chicharron and definitely gives Moreliana at run for their money.

(4) cueritos - another winner, cooked really nicely although I did prefer this in the mixto a bit more. Still great nonetheless, however next time I may mix in with the costillito or maciza.

Can they dethrone reigning carnitas champ Moreliana? The chicharron and costillita sure is hard to beat here… They also sell carnitas by the pound. The four tacos look small, but it was quite a substantial meal.

Carnitas El Veneno
8250 S Main St, Los Angeles

https://instagram.com/carnitaselveneno?utm_medium=copy_link

7 Likes

Hi @A5KOBE ,

Nice! :slight_smile: This looks fantastic! Thanks for the report. If you’re saying they’re up there with Villa Moreliana’s versions, that’s high praise. Can’t wait to try it. Thanks.

1 Like

Sonoratown

5 Likes

+1 for the spot-on use use of “bang bang”!

Thank you for this write up…we tried holbox tonight, and altho not as grilled as in the photo, the scallop tacos were delicious. I also had a smoked kanpachi fried taco and a fried shrimp taco…all delicious! If I lived in LA I would go every week!

1 Like