A funny, but embarrassing, parsnip story

I wouldnt even say the core is bitter - at least not on smaller ones that I’ve cooked with the core still in. . I cut it out because if they are large ones, the core takes longer to cook. To my mind, they’re the sweetest veg around (sweet potatoes excluded)

1 Like

I love celery root. I had a great puree of it the other night at a restaurant.

I haven’t been to the Summer Shack in some time, but I don’t think I’ve had their whipped parsnips. I’m there for the Lobstahs! (and G & Ts)

Parsnips are on my shopping list for next week. Although I usualy buy them in the Spring for some reason I just want them now that we’re actualy having Autumn weather. I agree with everything Harters has mentioned, and like him I usually core the larger ones but leave the smaller ones alone treating them very much as I would carrots…

I don’t find parsnips bitter at all, and by spiciness I guess I think they simply have a different flavor than carrots. While carrots tend to be sweet parsnips have a pleasant tangy peppery presence that I love. Although I’ve grown plenty of carrots I’ve never grown parsnips, and I don’t know why.

ETA: Market Basket sometimes has local Spring dug parsnips. Local meaning western MA. Much nicer all around for not having traveled across country to get to New England.

I actually much prefer it to celery. It has the flavor you’d want out of good celery, but without the stringy/woody texture.

And wonderful cut into matchsticks with a classic French remoulade sauce. I’m happy to eat this at any time but always make it around Christmas to go alongside leftover turkey. Such a versatile vegetable.

1 Like