A Favorite Cantonese Dish in San Francisco?

I had a Jack Nicholson-like encounter with a server in Hong Kong when I tired to get them to hold the macaroni soup from my breakfast. The bottom line was that they couldn’t withhold it because it as part of the set.

1 Like

What?! How can you not love that stuff!! lol

They were probably going ‘what an odd gwai lo’…

Overcooked macaroni in a clear broth heavy with cornstarch, garnished with slivers of lunch meat “ham” at breakfast. Not exactly Wheaties.

Love the “last frontier” ambience of Leland Ave. Is Wheat House Bakery still going?

2 Likes

If you mean Fancy Wheat Field Bakery, it’s on San Bruno Ave. and is still going strong.

No, this one.

An interesting thing about cantonese noodle is that al dente-ness is expected for other noodle types, but not pastas.

Craving Hung Tao Yee Fu Won Ton and the Beef Stew Won Ton at Sun Kwong Restaurant - 1400 Jackson at Hyde/SF.
Other places to enjoy these favorites?

Yes, but they require time travel. You’ll get your Wor Won Ton, too.

Seriously, though, I think you’ll find these things in 2016 at Capital Restaurant on Clay St. in Chinatown.

I just wanted to pop up and say that Jac’s Asian Bistro (or uh Mac’s Wok) has now moved to Sacramento. Named Cellar Bistro and found in Old Sacramento (think of it as… … I guess Pier 39). Weird location, but food still has the same touch as when I went to Mac’s.

Irving Street in the Outer Sunset district of San Francisco is under construction - pouring new sidewalks - parking is limited near 23rd Avenue.

Canton House Gourmet proclaims a new Grand Opening banner with white tablecloths at 1938 Irving Street near 21st Ave.
Beef Brisket with turnips in Clay Pot, $16 on my wish list.

We shared 3 dishes at Wok Station at 23rd Avenue & Irving Street; Kung Pao Chicken $7.75, Chow Mein $9.25, and Chef’s Special Oxtails with Tomato Gravy $11.95, steamed rice for $2.50. Hot water for beverage, no tea available.
Special Lunch plates, $7.50 with soup, spring roll, and steamed rice are offered.
Limited seating. Most ordering is for Take Out.

Where is this fried duck with taro, Sounds like the elusive pressed duck of my east coast childhood. It didn’t come with that repulsive neon sauce, but with a tolerable brown one.

Elusive is an apt description. Lychee Garden (now Lai Hong Lounge) on Powell Street was the only place I remember having this dish. I think I may have had it at other restaurants and other occasions, but no names come to mind. Following some pics off Google:

Not the same, but I’ve wanted to taste the Special Order Stuffed Duck with Taro at Hakka Restaurant at 4401 Cabrillo St. at 45th Avenue, SF

1 Like