6 things Philly does best

Do restaurants not sell wine in Philadelphia?

ā€¦And no corkage fee?

For everyone complaining about having to bring multiple bottles of wine to complement an as-yet-unchosen entreeā€™, AND those complaining about those complaining, I have just two words:

Bring Beer. :wink:

2 Likes

That would be another solution.

I think itā€™s more about how different from most other locales the policy is.
But I live in the middle of a wine growing/making region and they want to get wine into local establishments, not put up roadblocks, so my view is skewed too, Iā€™m sure.

Super Bowl ring avoidance

NOT NICE! :sob::sob::sob:

1 Like

Yes, many/most do. But PA has some of the most arcane liquor laws in the country, so there is a very strong BYO culture. As others have noted, itā€™s not just wine . . . bring beer (mostly to Mexican or pizza joints), vodka (to the Russian, Ukraine spots) or whatever you think youā€™ll enjoy with the menu.

Corkage fees are not common in Philly. The only time I recall seeing one was in a restaurant that had liquor license but still allowed BYO.

1 Like

Actually, we are quickly moving into the 20th century. A few years back we were allowed 6- or 12-packs of beer in supermarkets. Recently it was expanded to even allow wine sales in supermarkets. It should be noted these purchases need to be made at a separate checkout where your ID can be scanned to ensure you donā€™t exceed the arbitrary daily limit (144 oz?). Prior to this, if you wanted to buy less than a case of beer you were relegated to over-priced bars or delis with liquor licenses.

Simultaneously, you can now buy less than a case from beer ā€œdistributorsā€ who were previously restricted to selling only cases and kegs.

Anything beyond wine and beer still must be purchased from the state store. But they did start opening some stores on Sundays :cold_sweat:

1 Like

Meant to mention this a few weeks ago when it appeared in The Inquirer: http://www.philly.com/philly/food/Taste_of_the_Northeast.html

http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists/craig_laban/The-Northeast-Restaurants-I-Missed-Or-Left-Off-My-List.html