3 days in Boston, staying in Back Bay

St. Patrick’s Day may be chaotic. For one thing, there is a parade that begins at 1 pm on Sunday, March 17, and people will start to gather (and drink) well before then. All over the city, not just around the parade route in South Boston.

I have never participated in St. Patrick’s Day public events in Boston (having learned long ago in college that green beer is not something I embrace), so I’ll leave that to locals who know a lot more about that than I do. Your hotel might be able to advise you about what to expect and most efficient way to get to the airport.

I just scrolled down and read the survival guide on the link above. You may want to leave for the airport early…Logan is north and slightly east of parade central, but traffic in all directions will be problematic.

Eatlay at the Prudential Center is a large grocery store/restaurant/wine store/counter/cafe complex that offers lots of take-out options and they could also deliver to your hotel, I think. I’ve never eaten there but have ordered groceries and take out items from them for home delivery and found the quality to be good. If you are thinking of using Uber/Lyft back to the airport, it will probably be expensive with lots of traffic.

I hope you have a great trip with your friend!

2 Likes

@pistachiopeas Just stopping by to add my hello!

I got a Sarma rez the last 2 times I tried, so I’d suggest setting a Resy notification (and a reminder on your phone) for something opening up. (Of course my friends have managed to thwart my actually eating there each time, so I’m considering trading them in if it happens again :roll_eyes::joy:)

(I wasted time on the Neptune line, don’t think it’s worth it on a short trip.)

4 Likes

Also there is the possibility that demand at Neptune might be even greater, given the St. Patrick’s Day “holiday” weekend. They open at 11 according to the website.

2 Likes

Oy, that presents another dimension to your trip. St Patrick’s day in Boston is basically a holiday for lots of people. You and your friend can either embrace it or try to steer way clear of it. I would reccomend the latter but maybe your friend will be in party mode. There would be more adult ways to embrace the holiday, but then again, I’m a pub girl at heart so I might not have the best advice.

ETA: for context, we were in Toronto when the Canadians v US hockey game in the Olympics occurred. The “mayhem” afterwards is nothing close to St Pattys day in Boston

1 Like

I don’t remember the party after any US vs Canada Olympic hockey game being a big issue in Toronto. The Raptors winning some NBA thing a few years ago around May 2019, that was an issue in Toronto. :rofl:I was at home in my apt and had a scare, but I didn’t want to attempt visit an emergency room on a night when drunks and rowdies were partying in the streets and setting police cars on fire, etc. lol.

Specific neighborhoods in Toronto can be a bit of a nightmare after World Cup or Euro soccer games, but it doesn’t spill over into the rest of the city, and it usually has more to do with old world rivalries :rofl:

1 Like

Another option @pistachiopeas is to take the Logan Express bus from the terminal to Back Bay. They run every 30 min, and while you may be sitting in rush hour traffic, you’re not in an Uber with surge pricing!

3 Likes

Tatte is better than flour.

Respectfully, you’re out of your mind on this part. Tatte’s pastries have been almost entirely underwhelming for me – simple muffin type things or overdone mousse-based messes, without much in between. On the other hand I find Flour to be generally very solid especially for middle ground French-style staples, e.g. their excellent kouign amann. I haven’t tried much on the savory side from Tatte so no comments there. (Flour’s lamb sandwich used to be in my regular rotation when I worked nearby.)

In the interest of full transparency I should admit that I have a general aversion to Tatte as it’s a project by the same people who brought us such craft bakeries as Panera and Au Bon Pain.

Sigh. Tatte was BOUGHT OUT by the ABP people but was an independent bakery before that.

I used to LOVE Flour - I worked in the South End in 2003-2004 and it was such a special treat to get a lemon ginger scone - but having everything cooked in one location has really diminished the quality of the offerings. We got a ton of stuff there recently, and everything was overbaked and dry. Tatte isn’t perfect but they do a great morning bun and some delicious savory warm dishes.

Butternut is the queen of the morning bun tho!

5 Likes

The Israeli immigrant who founded Tatte is apparently still involved. These articles give more information about the sale.

I have really enjoyed some food including bakery items from Tatte. I don’t eat sweets or desserts very often. The Tatte Passionfruit Krembo (Tart passionfruit curd topped in vanilla meringue and dipped in Valrhona passionfruit inspiration chocolate) is something I splurge on now and then.

2 Likes

Umm, respectfully, your mileage may vary.

Maybe don’t slag other people’s suggestions.

You can recommend what you like without putting down what others like.

4 Likes

That was not my intention. Sorry if it came off that way.

2 Likes

@a_m thank you for the apology. I’m not sure if there’s another way to take “you are out of your mind. “

1 Like

Apologies again, it’s a phrase I regularly use in casual debates with friends but obviously it didn’t translate well here. Lesson learned.

5 Likes

I love Haley.Henry and it seems like it would be perfect for what you’re seeking. It’s on a quiet side street (aka not crawling with visitors) and yet still very close to everything in a way that makes it feel “special,” especially with a table for 2 where you can have a solid conversation while drinking excellent wine.

3 Likes

Others have chimed in, but, huge. Especially with the T being in the state it is in. It would be best to stick to places where you can make a reservation and leave yourself extra time to get from point to point, especially in any spots downtown that are touristy at all (anything around Faneuil Hall, the aquarium, North End, most bars in most neighborhoods).

4 Likes

No one has stated it explicitly and I should have, but St Patrick’s Day(s) (the entire weekend) is a shitshow in Boston proper. Avoid every area that @Amandarama listed. If you @pistachiopeas and your friend stick to nicer places in Boston proper, you might be spared of the chaos but I would urge you to vet your final choices with this board and we can chime in. Cambridge/Somerville (Oleana/Sarma) is somewhat impervious to St. Paddy’s Day. But, again, feel free to vet your choices with us. Your friend is already in a sad spot…let’s avoid yucky drunk people for what should be a fun trip.

7 Likes

Clear Flour would like a word.

2 Likes

A favorite of mine as well- gluten free!

1 Like

Don’t really think we need the vulgar language but that’s just me.

The Irish may be professionals when it comes to the sport of Hurling. But if you visit the parade area in South Boston you are likely to witness a different kind of “hurling.”

WTF are you talking about?

ETA: Sorry, I couldn’t help myself.

1 Like