2023 Northern and Central California Food News and Journalism [SF Bay Area, Northern California, Central California, Northern Nevada]

Jose Andres restaurants can be very good but I am a bit worried that it will be in that mall which so far hasn’t great restaurants and so hopefully he will try to up the quality level quite significantly.

1 Like

In the 90’s the excellent Ginger Club was located at the shopping center. It was a Bruce Cost place and an offshoot of a restaurant he had in the city. We loved that place and ate there a few times a month with out kids. There was also an Oakville Grocery and a deli place (can’t remember name) that was popular. The shopping center is still very busy but yeah I was disappointed that he’s opening a place there instead of downtown Palo Alto or Menlo Park.

2 Likes

Pop-up at Contemporary Art Museum - Thurs April 27 at 901 Minnesota SF

1 Like

Soleil nominated for Beard award. Her move from the food section to the opinion page was announced on Feb 6 and a replacement restaurant critic has yet to be named. Union contract negotiations with the Chronicle are still underway.

3 Likes

It’s the new Safeway in Rockridge.

2 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like

Unfortunately that is a pretty horrible block. The couple of times I’ve gone we had to walk through clusters of drug dealers on the streets then watched a junkie comically try (and fail) to steal one of those rental scooters while we ate. Add the lack of downtown office workers and they’re getting killed. The Tenderloin is funny that way, sometimes a block away things are fine.

I agree. I’ve been to La Cocina a few times and have never felt comfortable walking to there from Civic Center BART. Good idea in a terrible area.

Yeah things literally changes block to block (often dramatically) in some parts of SF; Tenderloin, SOMA, Civic Center and the Mission. In any case, Newsom called in the National Guard and CHP to help with the drug dealing. Unfortunately it’s complex issue. Drugs never go away, just relocate. Cleaning up the area is good, but without office workers coming to SF for work/ lunch…it’s a double whammy.

1 Like

My son works for a start up located in downtown SF and has been to his office twice in 2 years. Lots of Bay Area remote work still…

Cafe Colucci Ethiopian in their new larger space at 5849 San Pablo Av in Oakland. Starts ar the 9:00 mark in the video.

On air now! A topic near to my heart. 😍 https://t.co/aDmKjlUVmo

— Luke Tsai (@theluketsai) May 3, 2023

I went to the KQED fest/open studio last Saturday and they had a Q&A with the Check Please producer and the chef/owner of Cafe Colucci - really nice dude.

2 Likes

Is the chef/owner of Colucci in the Check Pkease! video? It looks like he does a good job with tbe imported Ethiopuan spices.

For what it is, Check Please! does a good job and host Sbrocco was a wine writer with the Chronicle and is a friend of Melanie Wong’s. A few years ago I heard a story that Check was in talks to be syndicated to other markets.

Was Luke there? What did the producer say?

2 Likes

Yes, that was him. He said they run a spice shop/import business and the restaurant and so they get great Ethiopian spices. The person that did the interview was coordinating producer Cecilia Phillips. Sbrocco wasn’t there. She said they work with a skeleton crew and tiny cameras so they don’t disturb the diners really while filming. They also had a guest from one of the early shows who talked about getting low-key fame, people recognizing him from his appearance. Luke was not there.

KQED does the open studio every year and they have a stage with performances and bands in the street. I also saw political reporter Guy Marzerati speak - I had no idea he was so young. This was the first year in their brand new building I guess, so it was cool to see the studios, etc. You should go next year, it was a fun event.

2 Likes

Jessica Yadegaran appears to be the new food editor at SF Gate. She has apparently successfully escaped from the snake pit of Alden Global Capital at the Bay Area News Group. Congratulations Jessica.

From SF Gate -

Food Editor

Jessica Yadegaran

Jessica Yadegaran is the Food Editor at SFGATE. She has been covering food and dining in the Bay Area for more than 15 years. She previously worked for the Bay Area News Group, which includes the East Bay Times and San Jose Mercury News, and spent time in various editorial roles at Seattle Magazine, the San Luis Obispo Tribune and the San Diego Union-Tribune. Email: jessica.yadegaran@sfgate.com.

Jeff Edalatpour in the East Bay Express on Calypso Rose in the Emeryville Public Market -

At Verna McGowan’s The Calypso Rose, the biggest seller is a Guyanese oxtail pepper pot. “I can’t keep enough of that in house,” McGowan said.

Mishmish Reimagines Family-Style Palestinian Bites for Bay Area Vegans

Alan Chazaro

Apr 27

1 Like

Also, “San Francisco mall restaurants struggling amidst downtown withdrawal”…business in Westfield Mall restaurants have declined significantly. Seems Nordstrom’s saying it’s crime but it’s really about low sales, no downtown worker or tourist.

2 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes