2023 Holidays: Ugly Bakes and Confectionary Failures

dropped at birth

5 Likes

Oh noes! Turn it around and nobody will know

No photo because it would only be a pile of chocolate cake crumbs. I made the mistake of baking a very light devil’s food cake in skull shaped molds for Halloween. The cake ripped to pieces when it was turned out and that was after a post bake resting. On the upshot, one of the jammys junior used the crumbs to make rum balls, so no loss after all.

9 Likes

It looks like a nose, add some eyes and say you did it on purpose.

4 Likes

As I found out, again and again, while using a cookbook to learn how to make them. I foolishly decided that this was the first thing I wanted to learn how to bake. Perhaps even more foolish was puff pastry made from scratch.

1 Like

I tried making the Italian Bolzano apple cake from Alexandra cooks. It’s delicious.

Except. . . I baked in my springform pan that is rather fussy about the seal, forgot/ was lazy and didn’t put it on a sheet pan so the liquid batter ran right out and started smoking on the bottom of the oven. I was able to dump the apples into a pyrex and salvage something while watching plumes of smoke swirl around the kitchen praying the smoke detector wouldn’t go off- this was around 1215 am

And then Mr Autumm was in charge of lunch for the girls. Of course he made quesadillas in the same oven. Fortunately it’s in the 50s so I can open windows a bit

13 Likes

Arrghh! Do presumed disasters and/or near misses count??? I put my second pumpkin tart in the oven today, thinking to myself how the filling was so much paler than the first pie. Closed the door, turned around, and found the little bowl with the spices measured out STILL ON THE COUNTER. Arrghh!

Took out the tart, dumped the filling back in the mixing bowl (simultaneously making a mess of the crust rim), whisked in the spices, refilled the tart and put back in the now less-than-ideally-hot oven.

There it bakes, warts and all. ARRGH!

12 Likes

You mean you didn’t desire a plain pumpkin pie :melting_face:

2 Likes

Condolences! I’ve done the same several times
including once forgetting the second half of the chocolate lava cakes! Discovered it just in time and they turned out ok.

Hoping the same for your second pumpkin pie.

I’m guess it will taste wonderful, and just look a little different

2 Likes

Lol! Me thinks it would have been a strange pie, indeed!

Yes! Not the first time I’ve done this. Ever had a sugarless scone?

I think it will be just fine for eating, although half the crust has obviously taken a bath in pie filling. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Not my finest hour with a Karo pecan pie. I broke two eggs into the mixing bowl and my phone rang. 30 minutes into baking time I noticed the third egg on the counter. I baked a little longer to compensate. Still turned out pretty good. We had a slice tonight. And thank goodness I remembered to use Bakers Joy on the pie plate.

10 Likes

Near miss - I’d just refilled the lidded salt bowl I keep on my back of stove ledge, behind and above the burners. I measured salt into the pumpkin pie filling and returned the bowl to the ledge (well, almost) while turning my head to read the measure for the next spice in the recipe. Fortunately the deluge of salt landed stove top and floor, none reaching countertop or the filling bowl. Time-out / 20 minute delay for cleanup of about 3/4 C. salt.

6 Likes

We’ll just call this post “My Crinkle Cookie Fail”. I just made a batch of Chocolate Crinkle Cookies (John Kanell recipe) and they came out ugly and flat. Its the same recipe I used last year (that worked great), but not this year. I have no idea what I did wrong. They’re still edible, but not pretty nor festive.

6 Likes

Check the expiration dates on your baking powder and baking soda. (expired Baking Powder especially, can be the source of “flat”). And did you mis-read, exchanging one for the other, or omitting entirely?

1 Like

I’ll check the expiration date on my baking powder. I do remember adding it.
Thanks.

You might check out your cocoa powder too. I’ve found that higher fat cocoas make great, chocolaty cookies. Some of the grocery store brand cocoas are very low in fat and give a pale, powdery cookie that ends up dry and flat in taste and texture.

I always use Hershey’s. My girlfriend is a chocolate expert, so it is always Hershey’s
 no substitutions allowed! (LOL)

1 Like

Is it possible that your butter was too warm when you creamed it? I made a batch of ginger cookies a few days ago with butter that was warmer than I usually use. Even after chilling the dough for a little while, they came out flatter than usual. Much like those in your picture.

This recipe uses vegetable oil – not butter. I chilled the “dough” overnight (same as last year).
This is last year’s chocolate crinkle cookies, same recipe and it worked

This is the recipe I followed from John Kanell
 his cookies are beautiful!!