2023 Food Garden!

Fear not! The bug in question isn’t a fungus gnat or one of the root maggot adults. It appears to be one of many Minute Pirate bugs. I may be wrong, but it looks like a predator. If it is a Pirate Bug, watch out, they pack a potent sting for a little bug. It has different coloration from the Pirate Bugs here, in VA; but, it sure has that look.

2 Likes

Minute Pirate bug came up on Google Lens!

1 Like

Bet they’d look dashing with Tricorn hats! Arrr me aphids… arrrr! :grin:

2 Likes

Dug up and cooked my meagre harvest of “new potatoes” and a clove of garlic, some butter and cream. Swoon. I’m sated

6 Likes

We also had thunder, lightening, and hail!

3 Likes

I am often frustrated with potatoes, but keep trying, always fingerlings, and in containers.

They are said to prefer cool but not freezing weather, with adequate water (rain, irrigation) for 120 days, and potatoes ready to plant at the right time, and that doesn’t all come together often for me. I usually try in the fall, but occasionally try in the spring if I can irrigate. I’m trying this spring.

3 Likes

I just planted a few yukon golds the other day, and I plan to put some radish seeds and peas for pea shoots in there too, I have to be careful, though, because the load of potting soil we got appears to be bereft of nutrients, which I can add, but I wish it was richer to begin with.

2 Likes

Planted peas yesterday. I love waiting to see them sprout up. Telephone peas on the tall trellis and sugar snaps in another bed. We’re in suburbia and can’t control neighbors trees - every year I get less and less sunlight. Have had to give up on tomatoes☹️. Lettuces love my garden.

5 Likes

I love the stone bordered raised beds. Did you make the beds yourself?

1 Like

They’re molded plastic😁. My brother in law designed and marketed them about 25 years ago.
Amazing they have stood the test of time so well.

4 Likes

I’m jealous of your peas and I hope the bug goes away!

1 Like

Excellent! I’m looking forward to that in…June!

1 Like

Whee- I see a spud sprout. only one out of five, but I’m now feeling like getting into garden mode. The ring is under a mesquite tree, so they won’t get frizzled by the sun. I hope.

1 Like

Still waiting for the cold nights to end. :smiling_face_with_tear:. Even though the days have been quite mild this year, the days have a tendency to so drop into the 30s - a bit too much for my citrus trees, and I’m dying to get them outside for more sun. One of my trees had a small aphid problem, so I play pop the aphids :joy: when I’m back home from work. Otherwise waiting on my seedlings, and the Black Krim tomatoes and peas are the early birds.

3 Likes

Still low forties here at night, and rain,rain, rain!
But peas blooming

The hills are greening

And tomato and pepper seeds started . The Dwarf Tomato Project seedlings are so cute.

8 Likes

Seed order arrived!

DSCF0981

8 Likes

Nice ! I think I see some tomatoes in the back. If so, what kind?

1 Like

Oh yes!! ‘Pomodoro Squisito’ (a new San Marzano hybrid paste) and ‘Lizzano F1’, a cherry type. I can hardly contain my excitement! The little eggplants caught my eye, too.

2 Likes

Things sure look greener than in other pictures you posted! I have a friend in CA who said there were so many Chanterelle mushrooms this spring, you couldn’t walk without stepping on them.

2 Likes

That’s a happy sight!