2023 Food Garden!

Thanks for the cautions. I’ve eaten a couple of the flower buds with no bad taste or reactions.

I don’t have any deer in my urban backyard but I did startle a bunny who was hiding under my Solomon’s Seal this afternoon.

2 Likes

I have a few herds, if you’rein need of some!

2 Likes

Pea update!

Potatoes

Tomatoes

Stone fruit ( apricot and Pluto)

Anyone know what might be going on here?

Reminds me of the scars on my nectarines until I started spraying for thrips I think.

7 Likes

OT, ‘cause not food, but anyone know how to cure this (probable) fungal infection on my indoor money tree? It’s 6’ tall and was very healthy until recently. No sign of bugs.

1 Like

Some random photos from today’s garden. If you hover your curser over the photo, a brief description should appear (for inquiring minds).

3 Likes

Happy replanting day! Got everybody into the big pots.

The little guys in the box are going upstate to grow in the ground.

What’s there: Sungold, Premio, Pink Berkeley Tie Dye tomato; Anaheim peppers; kale; chard; various lettuces; horseradish; catnip; aloe; herbs (basil, cilantro, oregano, thyme, tarragon, sage, mint, parsley). And flowers. I don’t care about the flowers, but H does.

Good luck, plants!

5 Likes

How cool is that!

Job well done!

Could it be too much water? Other than that, I got nothing.

No. It doesn’t look like that - I think the spots are key. But thank you!

1 Like

Thanks! This is the hopeful time of year. I’m keeping a cuke inside, because the cukes always get bacterial wilt and die. So I’ll be doing my bee impersonation all summer.

3 Likes

Ha ha! We laugh about that all the time. In May, everything is hopeful! (Before the hard hammer of reality comes down later in the summer - drought, pestulance, floods, etc…).

4 Likes

The inexplicable dill die-off. The invading aphid army with its ant foot soldiers. High winds that desiccate everything in the window boxes. And of course, pigeon squatters. Literally - they squat in the pots and flatten the plants.

3 Likes

Indoor potted plants normally lose older leaves. If the new growth has issues, or the illness is extensive, there can be several causes:
•As shrinkrap points out, too wet a soil can cause root rot.
•Salt/mineral buildup in the soil can be deadly. When dry, flush the soil well and let that water drain away. Wash out any saucers. Often, mineral buildup is evidenced by crusty, often whitish deposits in the saucer, on the surfaces of the pots.
•Nutrient deficiency. Long-term, you’ll likely need to alternate between regular fertilizer and a Cal-Mag; just don’t miz the two.

3 Likes

Thanks. It’s the older leaves, but A LOT of them. The soil is not too wet. I’ll try flushing the soil and changing up the feeding. It was a tiny little thing when someone gave it to me, and now it’s huge, so I’d hate to see it go.

1 Like

And the heat!

That scene was very traumatizing for me as a child.

2 Likes

Not so bad where I am, knock wood. The only issue is me having to carry more water around than usual.

1 Like

You have one amazing garden.

2 Likes

Yep, here too.

1 Like