2022 Veggie gardens!

Full film.

2 Likes

Turns out it was probably a red-shouldered hawk! I found 5he coolest app today, that letā€™s you record and identify bird sounds!

1 Like

Thatā€™s a fine garden guardian (gardenian?) ! Those hawks are abundant here and go after squirrels, mice, rabbits, snakes, voles, rats, etc. They also eat frogs. I made a pool for Wood Frogs to breed in, along with Spotted Salamanders. One day, when the frogs were breeding, the hawk started picking them off. So, I put a bunch of hoops and brush over the pool, so the bird couldnā€™t just swoop down for an easy meal.

2 Likes

I heard birds too! Thatā€™s why I felt red of my bird feeder.

Yep, Red Shouldered hawks are pretty opportunistic; small kittens and puppies are not out the question! Those birds are currently mating and nesting here, making a lot of racket andā€¦ carrying on. In some movies, hawk calls are used in place of eagles, when eagles are shown in the movie, since many eagles have high-pitched, wimpy calls. Many hawks sound more respectable. Hee hee!

I was blending hot sauce yesterday and discovered, to my horror, that Iā€™m out of pickled Rocotillo peppers, vital in most hot sauces I make. So, even though it wasnā€™t planned, I need to start Rocotillo seedlings asap. Rocotillo provides that Scotch Bonnet/Habanero flavor without the heat. And the red color helps, it doesnā€™t brown out like Yellow or orange peppers. Iā€™ve got plenty of Carolina Reaper, but thatā€™s insanely hot, too hot for table use.

3 Likes

Itā€™s the time of year when my garlic throws up a stunted bulb, a yellow leaf, later to be followed by a curved stem.

So I dug up a clove and found this. Is this a nematode or a maggot?

Iā€™m guessing itā€™s a maggot since it doesnā€™t seem microscopic, but when using a magnifier I swear I saw moving things inside what vim calling the maggot.

Forgot the remay.

Copied/pasted from an email:
Oh crap; those are Onion Fly Maggots! In your area, it may be a close relative, the Seed Corn Maggot. They attack onions, chives, garlic, shallots, scallions, leeks, etcā€¦ The Seed Corn maggot often moves back and forth from plump seeds, like corn (probably favas) and onion bulbs, hence its name. There isnā€™t a good insecticide available for homeowners to control for them any more; maybe the commercial growers know of one. A chemical, Diazinon, used to be available, but has been taken off the market.

Onion Flies/maggots are a major headache here, so all my alliums are grown under insect-proof row cover. Reemay used to be the product I used, but Agribon is the current row cover fabric Iā€™m using. That worked great, as there was no sign of onion pests. There are hoops keeping the fabric off the plants. The flies couldnā€™t get under the fabric. If weeding, watering was necessary, I always did that really early, before it warmed up and potential flies were around.

I imagine onion flies out in your area emerged a month ago and started zooming around, looking for alliums. Hereā€™s an article on these nasty pests, from UC, which states they are often serious pests in CA. In my experience, which is contrary to some publications, Onion Flies have seriously attacked garlic.

Even if you donā€™t grow alliums for years, the flies cover miles and can emerge from onions tossed in compost piles, trash cans, etc. I stopped growing alliums until last year, when everything was under hoops and fabric.

Unfortunately, the affected alliums are toast. Years ago, when my garlic was infested, I put all the bulbs in a big stockpot and poured a lot of boiling water over them, to kill the larvae before composting.

Going forward: once the maggots, flies are gone, you can make or buy wire hoops, tall enough for alliums, and cover them tightly with Agribon or similar row cover. This can also exclude thrips and aphids.

I wish the news was better!

1 Like

Thereā€™s got to be a dislike button on this forum. Ewwwwā€¦
I hope my garlic bulbs are enjoying their extended winter sleep. Still covered under about an inch of snow and ice right now.

1 Like

Sigh. Thank you. I canā€™t believe I forgot thatyou told me that last year! For some reason they donā€™t seem to bother my shallots. I hope I didnā€™t fust jinx myself .

I might have to get me some rocotillo seeds, then. I like that flavor but Scotch Bonnetsā€™re just too over-the-top hot.

My seeds are taking SO LONG. I planted a mess of stuff on 2/12, and so far the only things that have sprouted are the cilantro from @bogman, the Sungolds, and one lonely Anaheim pepper. Which is extra weird, because peppers usually take a month or more for me.

No problem! Same address? If the 2015 seeds grow, I can send you vert fresh seed later this year, or I can send some soon from 2015, which should be viable. Please email your preference.

1 Like

Since there are multiple generations, it wouldnā€™t hurt to cover the other Alliums, each type separately, so if there are already eggs, maggots or pupae, they donā€™t spread under/inside the fabric!

2 Likes

Youā€™re being too nice, you know. If I canā€™t find any Rocotillo seeds or seedlings I may take you up on it. I appreciate the offer.

My Peach Rush and Chapita (sp?) seeds sprouted! Used the Aerogarden.

Thanks! but Iā€™m just passing it forward, folks mail me seeds for free; I send seeds around. Itā€™s part of a weā€™re-all-family approach. And, it helps plant varieties survive. Weā€™re all stewards of the Earth. Plants help undo the damage we do by sequestering carbon, bring growers joy and offsets to terrible news or events. Sprouting seeds give us hope, peace. Thereā€™s something innate about growing plants that help us, by food, spice or fiber. Sharing seeds is not unlike breathing, a natural vital action.

Just beware that if the Rocotillo are described as hot, they are outcrossed imposters. During the early 80s, most of the Rocotillo were true, mild peppers. Over time, the variety became corrupted with outcrossed, very hot types.

1 Like

Yay! I hope you love those varieties! Theyā€™ve become two of my favorites, for flavor and productivity. Both have endless possibilities in recipes. Those Aerogardens are getting popular. So convenient!

1 Like

Oops! Sugar Rush Peach and Aji Charapita Peppers

First favas!

Anybody know what these might be?

Not sure they can be seen . They seem smaller than gnats, and they like they are floating around, but some of them collect into a little swarm. They seem to come and go.

1 Like