2022 Veggie gardens!

Thank you for this link!

2 Likes

Cherry tomatoes are in full swing. The ones in the box were picked a few days ago, and have been ripening indoors. The ones in the colander were just picked.

4 Likes

I picked 23 pounds of tomatoes today and they will ripen over the next few days. Have 8 pounds already ripe. All Brandywine and Black Krim. Please send help!
Made a broiled tomato and Serrano salsa a few days ago and froze much of it. Have made tomato soup and sauce. Have eaten 1000 toasted tomato sandwiches. Lots of salads too.
Next week I will make a roasted beet and tomato relish preserve.

5 Likes

Enjoy the fruits of all your hard work!

3 Likes

Wow! I have only 3 tomato plants and have given some tomatoes to our son. Can’t even imagine what we’d do with that much. Great work!!

3 Likes

I made the pickled Asian pears, but haven’t tried them yet.

2 Likes

The best help for me are tomato mills. Squeezo, Victorio and, if you have crates full, an Italian Fabio Leonardi are good mill choices to make fast work of creating tomato juice/puree, without seeds or stems. It’s fairly easy to can the end products (sauce or puree). Also, if cooked down, around 11 quarts of juice/puree cooks down to 3 quarts of reduction. This can be frozen, too.

I have seen those, but this year’s crop is an anomaly, so am just using my regular food mill. Must not plant so many seeds/keep all seedlings next year! My mother can’t have any tomato seeds at all, so this has been great. We were surprised how easily it handled raw chunks of tomato. The first time I reduced it, I was surprised how much the volume decreased! Tomorrow I will do lots more—to freeze, for roasted tomato beet relish, and watermelon gazpacho. Thanks for your tips—they are always so helpful.

1 Like

That’s the one I have. It’s a beast and can handle whole, raw plum tomatoes without issue.

Yes, I love the Fabio Leonardi mill. The only issue is that it leaks a lot, so I had to make an aluminum catch-tray to avoid making a mess. It also has a very low profile, too low for a decent bowl to fit under the output tray. So, I aim it over the edge of the table, into a pot positioned on a lower bench.

Generally, I chop (to double-check for internal rot), and briefly cook the tomatoes to denature an enzyme which causes solids/juice separation. That’s less of an issue with reduction sauces, but helps if the end product is puree/juice. The Fabio will go through tomatoes as fast as you can load it!

That’s a pain about your machine leaking; ours has been good so far. When we have garden tomatoes, we chop to inspect, but this year it was supermarket, so a wash and outer visual inspection made quick work of them. I also wish there was more clearance under the output tray, but that would make the machine too high to load comfortably.

I cook the puree after the tomatoes go through the mill, then pour into jars and pressure seal. That method works well for me as I don’t have to pour hot, chunky tomatoes into a mill. If there’s an accident that can happen, it will usually happen to me, so I reduce as many risks as possible. Many years ago I used a manual mill for all of this. The first year with the electric mill, I had a grin on from ear to ear. It made things so much easier.

Cook’s Illustrated Provencal Vegetable Soup (The Complete Vegetarian P. 86).

Leeks, carrots, green beans, tomato, zucchini and basil from the garden.

So good and fresh!

6 Likes

made this soup many times over the years.

1 Like

How does it hold up? I made enough for today and tomorrow. I was thinking if it held up without the veggies getting too soft, I would opt for a bigger batch next time. I really liked it!

I just chopped up another bowl of gazpacho to marinate overnight. Note to self: just as you can’t out-exercise a bad diet, you cannot out-gazpacho a summer garden. You just can’t. Self, please remember that next summer.

This is a basic Jose Andres recipe, nothing exotic… Well, that’s not true. Earlier this summer I acquired a bottle of Spanish oloroso sherry, so of course I used some of that. It has a HUGE Mr. Stripey tomato, another very large Purple Cherokee, and a normal-sized Purple, plus a green pepper I grew (they’re supposed to ripen to orange, but always start to rot before they turn, so I gave up and am just harvesting them green. Taste way better than store-bought, even green.) Two Persian cucumbers, garlic, good olive oil, salt, and the aforementioned sherry.

It’ll marinate overnight. Before I blend, I might toss in two rapidly-softening peaches.

3 Likes

It’s late, or at least that’s my excuse. What do you mean?

Oh! Can’t keep up with the bounty?

Gazpacho in bulk?

August 2022 Image from New York Times - Vacaville, CA

2 Likes

Interesting! What will you use them for? Are they a sweet and tangy pickle, or more of a briney salty pickle?

i mean to remind myself that i can’t possibly eat enough gazpacho to consume all that i insist on planting.

Oh no! That’s my exit! I was wondering why folks were taking the back roads yesterday morning

2 Likes