2022 Veggie gardens!

I ate one, and it seemed ripe, but I don’t often eat them that way. I think I have used it in short rib marinade.

I think he said “sweet”. Maybe "Italian " or

I’ll have to figure out what to do with those. These might be the same.

Italian plums!? If so, lucky girl. :slightly_smiling_face: As soon as I get my hands on some, I will be making this (there is a reason it is so popular):

2 Likes

They look a lot like Shinseiki Asian pears, which ripen in August, earlier than most.

3 Likes

I love them out of hand when ripe. We’re trying to grow them. I’ve used them also in bulgogi marinade.

1 Like

Do you have raccoons there? They’re very good with their hands

1 Like

Yes!

1 Like

Any animal you don’t expect is startling when it’s in your yard! pretty sure I posted about the bobcat that decided to chill in my yard summer before last when it was murder hot and we had no rain. I was out watering and saw a cat. I went over to shoo it out of the yard, and right about the time I thought “Wow, that’s a really big cat”, it turned around and looked at me with that bobcat face. Oops. So I went inside to give her a chance to relax in the grass, which she did. It made watering the yard pretty exciting for a couple of weeks. I saw her on the shop roof a week or so later, but mostly we have javelinas that can’t get in the back yard, fortunately, because they’re really destructive, but I can’t help liking them anyway. The babies are so cute.

1 Like

I’ll say! Still, a bobcat sounds more startling than a raccoon. A few months ago we had a bear, which I really didn’t expect. Mountain lions are more common around here, but I have not come face to face with one.

Our first grapette tomato pick of the year. Like everything else in 2022 - LATE. The earliest tomatoes were stunted and I blame the cold summer - I’ll be thinning them out today. What’s ripening now (on the verge of A LOT), is far more satisfying. Variety is Ruby Crush.

3 Likes

I can’t really decide whether I’d rather see a bear or a mountain lion in my yard. I’ve had to photograph the damage a bear can do to a person, but I bet a mountain lion could match or top it.
I’ve decided- none of the above. :neutral_face:

1 Like

Cringe :grimacing:

2 Likes

My husband’s heirloom tomato project has reached harvest stage:

Prairie Fire
Black Strawberry
Bumblebee

7 Likes

Beautiful tomatoes @MunchkinRedux !

These are both Dwarf Project.
Fred’s Tie Dye

Wildfred…I think.

2 Likes

So far, my half-collapsed-on-itself purple cherokee is still out-producing all the other tomato plants.

2 Likes

They know what they’re doing!

Today’s pick. It’s starting to look a lot more like a typical summer harvest basket. I’m making dill pickles - a couple of quarts every few days.

3 Likes

This is the inside of the Fred’s Tie Dye

2 Likes

A portion of our kitchen counters. Yum!

5 Likes

I will chime in here to say my Sungold just produced its 30th tomato. Which is very nice, but neither the Pruden’s Purple nor the Pink Berkeley Tie Dye is very far along, fruit wise. Plenty of peas and beans, though, at least.

2 Likes