2022 Veggie gardens!

Black Krim, Big Beef and Champion. Planted from 4” pots around April 1, so approaching 90 days.

2 Likes

Wow! I don’t know! It sounds like you may have a crazy long growing season, so there’s time! Do you know your Sunset zone?

Edited to add according to a rather random Google search
Black Krim is supposedly 80 DTM ( days to maturity)
Big Beef 73 DTM
Champion 65

You mention moving them; are in pots? Pictures are always nice!

Yes. They’re in large pots. I think we’re in zone 22. Inland South Orange County, CA. Last year they were planted around the same time, grew faster and started to ripen by now. Our season can go another 3-4 months, so I’m assuming I just need to be patient. I just didn’t want them all ripening at once.

2 Likes

You’ve got one amazing setup there!

2 Likes

Thank you! It’s a set-up all right!

Our first test pick of carrots this year.

Usually I do two plantings a few weeks apart. The first typically is more successful as warmer temps bring rust fly. I found a little sign of it today - not too bad, but some. I’m going to try and get this bed picked this week. Our 2nd crop (actually our 3rd, because pincher bugs got #2) is doomed due to a late start. :frowning:

A lot of folks around here will cover their beds to keep the rust fly out. My approach is plant and pick early or late (just not mid-season), and rotate beds annually. I have a 5 year moratorium on any bed which has hosted carrots.

Carrot cake is on the menu this week!

8 Likes

Those are beautiful! So is the picture. I’m going to find that picture of your garden, and imagine where they were.

Lol. The carrots are in a small stock tank, located at the far end of the cinderblock bed, out of view behind the peas.

Hidden Carrot Bed

Ahhh! Is a stock tank those galvanized things?

Yes. We got a good deal on a few of those several years ago. They’re handy.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

Here’s the yield from a 40" trough.

Cleaned of their greens (and including yesterday’s pick), it was net 9 lbs. I found rust fly in about a dozen of them total, which is an acceptable rate of attrition to me. I also left about 2 dozen small ones in the ground, which I’ll pick in a few days to make roasted baby carrots.

Kept in the crisper, in a green bag with a paper towel, they’ll hold up for months.

Photo is of my work station for cleaning them.

4 Likes

Nice! How much soil or soiless mix do those hold? Are they connected to the soil underneath? What do you fill it with? I’m guessing you re-use it; is there a straegy for that?

I do almost all my gardening in long term containers.

Yes! I noticed your container set up and was immediately attracted to it.

The capacity of this one is about 50 gallons. We have a couple of different sizes. We drilled holes in the bottom for drainage.

We had 4-way brought in to fill them, but first mixed the 4-way with a lot of compost, worm castings and any available organic material. We try to keep our beds continuously planted (or at least 3 out of the 4 seasons), and with each rotation work in more compost and worm castings. Most years, during a down season, we’ll mulch: leaves, straw, grass clippings. I have yet to find a mulch I’m happy with, but it all helps. The quality of the soil in our older beds is noticeably nicer than in our newer beds. As things compost, we do have to top them off with a couple of inches every couple of years.

ETA to add: the quality of the 4-way we get varies widely, from barely acceptable to terrible. One year it was so bad I had it tested … mostly sand! So we do work in as much organic material we can.

1 Like

I’m a novice gardener - only began randomly during quarantine.

This year in the garden I have:

6 heirloom tomato plants (Cherokee Purple, Mr Stripey, Polish Giant, Black Cherry, Pink Brandywine and Black Brandywine.) These have a few green fruits. The stripey and giant I bought as seedlings; the rest I grew from seed (!)

2 tomatillo plants (first time trying these.) At the moment these have the papery shell, but no fruits inside yet.

2 poblano peppers (new), 2 shishito peppers (third year with these, love them) and 2 bell peppers

6 beet plants

6 heads of buttercrunch lettuce (already harvested - delicious)

In containers on my deck, I have red sail lettuce (second planting growing now) and arugula (already finished for the year.) Once again this year I tried growing strawberries in containers. One container has produced nothing; another occasionally gives me berry, which I savor.

5 Likes

I’m always impressed by folks who pursue the heirloom varieties. We grow mostly common, generic stuff. My goal is to have a grocery store in my back yard, but my ambitions don’t go much further.

Yours sounds like a wonderful beginning!

2 Likes

Thank you! I did grow some non-heirloom varieties in the previous two years but I generally prefer the flavor of heirlooms, and they didn’t seem more difficult (or different at all really) to grow, so…

3 Likes

You might also like some of the Dwarf Tomato Project varieties. They are generally heirlooms crossed with smaller, more manageable (for me) plants

2 Likes

A very nice garden! I, too, love heirloom tomatoes. If you haven’t grown it before, the black cherry can be a monster. But soooooo tasty.

2 Likes

The black cherry is my single most beloved tomato. I am obsessed with it. Third year growing it.

It does indeed grow like gangbusters.

So far this year, Mr Stripey is outpacing all the other plants, but in past years Black Cherry caught up and outgrew/outproduced everything else by about midway through the summer.

2 Likes