2022 Veggie gardens!

Impressive!

1 Like

I braided them to keep them down. LOL.

1 Like

I buy my better quality pine nuts at an Italian shop. I keep them in the freezer.

I had pine mouth years ago and now I splurge.

2 Likes

He looks like the toad who likes to visit garden too! I usually surprise him as I try to trim the overgrown grass (read: weeds) behind my blueberry plants, and he jumps out and gives me a heart attack.

3 Likes

You likely scared the c$#* out of her too :smiley:
Other than the sudden, startling jumps which scare the daylights out of me too, I love to see the varied lives in my garden.

$90 a pound!!! Yikes!

Where are you located? I am in the US and my browser shows $40/lb.

I’m in the US and it shows for Mediterranean pine nuts $44.99/8 oz.

Ah, gotcha. I was looking at just plain old pine nuts (origin unknown):

I thought it said China which I don’t like.

You’re right! I hadn’t read that far. In any case, I’ve had no issues with them, but I understand the concern.

1 Like

I finally got all of my tomatoes and peppers in their “forever homes” last weekend.

Struggling with thrips already. This appears to be for commercial growers but I will park it here.

https://www2.ipm.ucanr.edu/agriculture/tomato/Thrips/

and

2 Likes

That’s where the less costly pine nuts come from and have been implicated in causing pine mouth in some people. I don’t use them, as their taste is more resinous than either European Stone Pine or US Piñon Pine.
A small amount of peanut butter can substitute! I was at a friend’s and remarked how good the pesto was, when she revealed it was made with peanut butter. Cashews, pistachios also work well. I bet macadamia nuts would work well, maybe better than pine nuts.

2 Likes

More thrips stuff

Thrips management

Lucky you don’t have a peanut allergy. My son does, so my hackles go up every time I hear that pb is someone’s “secret” ingredient.

1 Like

I’m a pandemic gardener, which means this is only the third summer I’m trying to grow things. My interest is mainly tomatoes.

This year I started all my tomato plants from seed (!) and I have five heirloom varieties in the ground now: black cherry, purple cherokee, black krim, Polish giant and pink brandywine. My leftover seedlings will go to my brother tomorrow.

I grew lettuce in the garden for the first time this year (usually I grow red sail lettuce in small containers on the deck) and the heads are about ready. I also have a few beet plants, and a small selection of peppers: shishitos, sweet orange peppers, poblanos (first year for these) and 2 tomatillo plants.

Last year my attempts at Romanesco cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, and many kinds of melon plants all failed one way or another. The amount of foliage the melon plants produced - and not a single edible melon. Heartbreaking. So no more of that for me.

4 Likes

Well done! Where are you gardening?

Yes, none of my friends and no one in our family has a nut allergy. There were very few people with nut allergies in my generation (1950s-60s); we never heard of it and all the kids were eating peanut butter. Sure, it must have existed, but it was rare. It’s curious how this allergy’s prevalence has increased.

However, after a bout with Krohn’s disease, I can no longer eat chocolate or anything containing guar gum, which is a hidden ingredient in all sorts of foods. These were foods I had no problem with before the disease.

Bean pole is in - Blue Lake pole beans.

Also, another cinderblock bed - Rainier strawberries and Oregon Spring tomatoes.

4 Likes

I thought that plant looked familiar. It’s bladder campion (silene vulgaris), a wildflower that is widespread in North America. Had no idea that it was edible.

Thanks for the post!

1 Like