2022 Northern and Central California Food News and Journalism [SF Bay Area, Northern California, Central California, Northern Nevada]

The taco truck is very good, with some of the best carnitas around.

3 Likes

Have you been to the one by Yen’s? (Gilman and San Pablo) If so, which do you prefer?

1 Like

The one at Gilman and San Pablo is just a few blocks away from my house, and I go there about once a week. I like the carnitas there, too, and there’s also a tamales stand in the lot most days. I can’t say whether the Hotsy Totsy truck is better, though.

ETA: The Hotsy Totsy truck uses larger tortillas, so the tacos are easier to hold. So, there’s that.

2 Likes

Cool spot. Great name. Used to be better. I miss the old school cardboard football crapola cheap prices and more sleepy California vibe. Still have the shuffleboard thing ?

That being said not sure there are too many places like that around any more. Used to bar hop that and the mallard. Sometimes still do!

What are the names of the trucks?

1 Like

I’m not sure but from Google the Hotsy Totsy club truck is Al Autlense. Th one at Gilman is El Rulas.

3 Likes

Kristina Cho for Mooncakes and Milk Bread: Sweet and Savory Recipes Inspired by Chinese Bakeries by

Restaurant and Professional

Brandon Jew and Tienlon Ho for Mister Jiu’s in Chinatown: Recipes and Stories from the Birthplace of Chinese American Food

U.S. Foodways

Bryant Terry for Black Food: Stories, Art, and Recipes from Across the African Diaspora

Vegetable-Focused Cooking

Bryant Terry for Vegetable Kingdom: The Abundant World of Vegan Recipes

Soleil Ho, critic for the San Francisco Chronicle : “The Bay Area is Having a Love Affair with Smashburgers. This is the One You’ll Want to Eat Again and Again”; “Impossible’s New Vegan Nuggets Taste Better than McNuggets. Sadly, that’s not Saying Much”; “S.F. Restaurant’s $72 Fried Rice Was a Runaway Hit. It Was Also the Chef’s Nightmare”

No specific dates given for the opening of new eating spots on Bay Street in Emeryville except that they may appear as early as September 2022 -

Bay Street Emeryville Bay Break Dining Terrace

excerpt from E’ville Eye:

Arthur Mac’s Little Snack – An independent Oakland-based beer garden specializing in local craft beer, brick oven pizza and spicy hot wings, will be opening an updated concept featuring house-canned cocktails after 5 years of operation at their original location across from the MacArthur BART Station.

Humphry Slocombe – Rebellious and unapologetic, Humphry Slocombe’s ice cream has its own personality and flavors that appeal to adult tastes, but is loved by all.

Sababa and Flybird Chicken – Both founded by chef/owner Guy Eshel, Sababa’s Israeli street food and Flybird’s first class chicken are San Francisco favorites making their East Bay debut at Bay Street Emeryville.

Shake Shack – Shake Shack serves elevated versions of American classics using only the best ingredients. It’s known for its delicious made-to-order Angus beef burgers, crispy chicken, hand-spun milkshakes, house-made lemonades, beer, wine, and more.

Uchiwa Ramen – Uchiwa is a play on words that can mean ‘fan’ or ‘house,’ and similar to the Japanese colloquialism ‘uchi-soto’ meaning ‘insider-outsider’ in reference to how one treats guests. For Uchiwa Ramen it symbolizes their premium on hospitality and creating a welcoming environment to enjoy traditional Japanese comfort food.

1 Like
3 Likes

Chron has a good peninsula update. I actually haven’t been to a bunch of these places yet (although certainly on my radar)

3 Likes

https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/wine/article/Visiting-Napa-doesn-t-have-to-be-expensive-Here-17130816.php

Esther Mobley in the SF Chronicle -

Breakfast: Model Bakery’s famous English muffin — a favorite of Oprah’s — can be had for $2.50, while bagels with a spread from Meadowood chef Christopher Kostow go for $5 at his new Jewish deli, Loveski. Contimo Provisions in downtown Napa has become a breakfast staple among locals for its hearty $4 biscuit sandwiches, like the Ham & Jam filled with smoked molasses-brined ham and homemade jam.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KQEDfood/status/1519018219310305286

https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/CheckPleaseBayArea?src=hashtag_click

Mark your calendars — @LeslieSbrocco and Check, Please! Bay Area return this May with brand-new episodes! The fun kicks off Thursday, May 5, at 7:30pm, on @KQED 9. 🥳 Here’s a taste of what you’ll see.#CheckPleaseBayArea pic.twitter.com/EmCOcelzBE

— KQED Food (@KQEDfood) April 20, 2022

https://twitter.com/i/status/1516899094257541120

1 Like

The Monterey Bay King Salmon season has arrived. In Santa Cruz, H&H has informed me that they will have some available starting tomorrow. It’s a short season, so take advantage while you can. I thought that last season produced the best salmon I had ever tasted.

4 Likes

Thanks, lots of interesting spots close to home for me :wink:

1 Like

As part of the Bay Area Book Festival on Sunday May 8 from 2-3pm In-person and Live Streamed from Freight and Salvage in Berkeley.

Mother, Daughter, Collaborators (Plus the Book That Changed the World of Food): The Lappés

Sunday, May 8 | 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM

• In-Person and Live Streamed

excerpt:

Extraordinary mothers, extraordinary daughters: together, they can change the world. Frances and Anna Lappé prove that, when it comes to visionary thought and action, the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. Frances “changed how we eat” ( The New York Times ) with her first book, Diet for a Small Planet , which has sold over three million copies and, in 2021, celebrated its 50th anniversary with a special edition. She went on to publish 20 more books, and is a leading advocate for “living democracy”—which she describes as not only a government accountable to its citizens, but a way of living aligned with the deep human need for connection, meaning, and autonomy. Frances’ daughter, Anna Lappé, is also a bestselling author ( Diet for a Hot Planet: The Climate Crisis at the End of Your Fork and What You Can Do About It ), as well as an educator and expert on food systems. The New York Times proclaimed her a “Food Fighter,” and she has received a James Beard Leadership Award.

In-person tickets are $12

and Virtual tickets are $5

2 Likes

The Noceti Group said they weren’t going to allow the Gilroy Garlic Festival to be canceled and have decided to host it this year. Exact details weren’t released.

Adhiti Bandlamudi in KQEDArts -

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cbm1AzTgvSi/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cbm1AzTgvSi/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Each sizzler has a base of pasta or noodles that gets topped with assorted grilled vegetables, shredded cabbage and, sometimes, cheese. (Beth LaBerge/KQED)

excerpt:

A Mumbai-style sizzler is as much an experience as it is a meal. In some ways, it’s more like multiple meals combined into one. A typical version consists of grilled vegetables or meat, finely chopped cabbage and a variety of spicy sauces—all steaming on top of a hot cast iron platter. While the sizzlers I tried in Milpitas incorporate Americanized ingredient combinations, sizzlers in India tend to lean toward Indo-Chinese flavors, with lots of red chilies, soy sauce and ginger. Everything is meant to melt together into one harmonious bite, in the same way as a good plate of nachos or loaded fries.

Milan Sweet Center

296 South Abel Street
Milpitas, CA 95035

(669) 600-6547

4 Likes

That’s a great read that’s all over the place.

Mozaik’s World Market on Saturdays at San Pablo Ave and 31st Street in West Oakland as well as Minto’s Jamaican on 15th Street near Franklin St in downtown Oakland sound interesting -

MINTO’S JAMAICAN RESTAURANT & BAR We missed this one earlier in the year — Minto’s now has a third location in Oakland in this welcoming new restaurant and parklet on 15th Street. Look for island-style dishes such as jerk chicken, curry goat, salt mackerel, oxtail and a range of soups, as well as a menu of Ital (Rastafarian) specialties. Drinks include beer, wine, Jamaican rum punch and coconut rum with spices, as well as flavorful nonalcoholic drinks. (Minto’s also runs a nearby juice bar.) Minto’s Jamaican Restaurant & Bar , 412 15th St. (between Franklin Street and Broadway), Oakland

MOZAIK WORLD MARKET The parking lot outside West Oakland’s closed Community Foods Market grocery store is the first home for new weekly open-air market Mozaik, featuring food stands, local artists and a range of other vendors. Grand opening was on April 23; the market will be held on Saturdays going forward. Mozaik World Market, 3105 San Pablo Ave. (Saturdays outside the closed Community Foods Market), Oakland

1 Like

Good-To-Eat Dumplings sets a May 12 opening at 1298 65th St near Hollis in Emeryville.

According to KQEDArts last year,

The aforementioned lion’s head meatballs, for instance, are stewed with just napa cabbage—no water—to yield an intensely flavorful broth. Lin and Tung will serve a chicken soup that gets slow-cooked in a clay pot for 24 hours. They’ll serve Taiwanese-style stuffed cabbage rolls. And they’ll be able to more regularly serve their labor-intensive pork belly gua bao, which include mustard leaves that they ferment in-house.

At the same time, the restaurant will continue to serve all of its staples: the dumplings, the noodles, the various small plates.

https://www.goodtoeatdumplings.com/

https://www.instagram.com/goodtoeatdumplings/?hl=en

Uptown Oakland’s First Friday event returns tomorrow, Friday, May 6 2022, from 5 pm to 9 pm on Telegraph Ave from West Grand to 27th St. with food, music and art exhibits. General admission is free and no ticket is needed but you can register. The theme this month is Latin Pride.

https://www.oaklandfirstfridays.org/

Elena Martinez of Tacos Picantes says that her family traditions from El Salvador help create pupusas for her customers as a labor of love. She will be at the First Friday event in Oakland on May 6 with her food truck.

1 Like