2021 California Food Journalism and News [SF Bay Area, Los Angeles, the rest of California and Northern Nevada]

Remember the fights over the coming of the wine train?
Good times. :sunglasses:

1 Like
3 Likes

The Thanh Long Garlic Noodle segment begins at about the 19:42 mark.

from YouTube -

Alioto Lazio Fish Co (https://g.page/AliotoLazioFishCo?share) - To begin this Dungeness crab tour in San Francisco we started with a trip to Alioto Lazio Fish Co, a generations-old family run seafood distributor. Among other seafoods, what they are most known for is Dungeness crab that you can buy live. They also offer small cups of pre shelled crab that you can taste test. It was a good way to begin this tour.

Crab House at Pier 39 (https://g.page/crabhouseatpier39?share) - Next up, just down the road we headed over to Pier 39, probably the most famous of all places in all of San Francisco. Yes, it’s touristy, but it’s really nice and a great place to walk around, and of course to see the colony of California sea lions. For lunch we headed over to Crab House at Pier 39, a restaurant that of course focuses on Dungeness crab. Their famous dish is Dungeness crab served on a smoking iron skillet. The crab is roasted in butter, bathed in a secret spice sauce mixture, and drizzled in white wine tableside to smoke on the hot iron. The crabs were fantastic, sweet, and naturally delicious.

Thanh Long Restaurant (https://goo.gl/maps/HPVbjseiG2kdNdNc6) - The Dungeness crab restaurant I was most looking forward to trying was Thanh Long Restaurant, a legendary Vietnamese American restaurant that was one of the first Vietnamese restaurants in San Francisco. It was amazing to hear a little behind the scenes of how the restaurant got started. The roasted crab and garlic noodles recipes are top secret - really a guarded family secret and they even have a secret kitchen to make them in where only family members are allowed. Their crabs are amazing, so garlicky and peppery, and then combined with the most addictive garlic noodles you’ve ever had in your life - it’s a heavenly combination.

Luke:

The truth is, 2021 also marked my return to a handful of posh, trendy restaurants—both for takeout and in person—but very few of them made any lasting impression. Instead, all I could think about were big pots of meaty stew, redolent with spice. Japanese curry ladled over rice. Pork chop bento boxes. Noodle soups in which a large number of bones simmer for hours.

including -

** Bo kho tacos at Pho Vy**

401 International Blvd., Oakland

** Jollof Indomie at Jolly-Jolly Coffee & Kitchen**

1498 7th St. Ste. B, Oakland

** Garlic noodles at Noodle Belly**

1014 Fruitvale Ave., Oakland

Iskender kebab at Richmond Kebab & Gyros

15501 San Pablo Ave. Ste. J, Richmond

** Roasted Goat Cutlet Plate at Jubba Restaurant**

5330 Terner Way, San Jose

1 Like

Interesting, for us it is very much the opposite. Since we cook a lot of those “comforting” dishes at home, getting such type of take out is OK but not that memorable compared to the few times where we got “higher” end restaurant dishes. And we really dream about the time when we can get again more regularly for tasting menus etc

Re Luke Tsai dreaming of comfort food -

I can relate to Tsai’s yearning, as well as to your (honkman) wish to go out again. Now that Spouse and I are aging, we really don’t eat as much as we used to, and making stews/braised dishes for two people never quite seems to work as well as cooking such on a larger scale.

Nothing against leftovers, but I don’t want to eat anything, even my own good cooking, for four days straight. And freezing doesn’t work for me - I dislike how the texture changes and the seasonings ‘flatten out’.

I enjoy dining out more than my Spouse, and this month we’re finally doing a one-day blitzkrieg visit to Monterey/Carmel with some friends. Parker-Lusseau and Lucia, here we come - woohoo!

We won’t be visiting Aubergine this time, but honkman, if you love tasting menus we can strongly recommend Aubergine Carmel if you haven’t been there already. A bargain and the food/atmosphere/service was perfection.

3 Likes
1 Like

Jollof rice topped with plantains, kale, shrimp, and baked chicken. (Luke Tsai)

Luke:

While jollof is the headliner, Jolly-Jolly serves a number of other dishes that are even harder to find in the Bay. There’s an akara burger, made up of fried bean fritters that Ukagumaoha sandwiches between slices of sweet agege bread made by a local Ghanaian baker. And in the mornings, he cranks out orders of Indomie jollof, a staple for thrifty Nigerian university students. “My mother used to buy [Indomie instant noodles] because we were five of us all in the university at the same time,” Ukagumaoha recalls. To make his version, he tosses the noodles with diced vegetables and spices, and serves them with fried plantains and a juicy egg scramble. All of those humble constituent parts combine to make up a hearty breakfast that’s almost unreasonable in its sheer deliciousness.

*Jolly-Jolly is open at 1498 7th Street in West Oakland (near the West Oakland BART station)

Tuesday through Friday 9 a.m.–7 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday 11 a.m.–8 p.m.

Call in orders at 415-941-8817 (preferred) or* order online .

from YouTube:

Long Xing Ji Juicy Dumpling (140 W Valley Blvd Ste 211, San Gabriel, CA 91776, United States) - Total price - $80.28 - To begin this Chinese food tour in San Gabriel Valley we headed to Long Xing Ji Juicy Dumpling, a Shanghainese dumpling restaurant. Along with their regular soup dumplings, the main thing Mike and I came to eat was the massive crab dumplings. They are so big and filled with so much juice and broth that you have to suck them up with a straw. A great start to this food tour.

Lan Noodle (411 E Huntington Dr Suite 102, Arcadia, CA 91006, United States) - Next we went to Lan Noodle, a restaurant that specializes in Lanzhou beef noodles, which are one of the legendary noodles of China. We got a chance to see them as they were making hand pulled noodles, and we ordered a bunch of dishes. They also gave us a few extra dishes, which were delicious.

Luscious Dumplings (4XJJ+PP Monrovia, California, USA) - Finally to wrap up this dumplings and noodles Chinese food tour in LA we went to Luscious Dumplings, one of the best dumpling restaurants in greater Los Angeles. We met with the owner who served us a mix of some of their best dishes including classic dumplings and some new modern dumplings as well. Some of the best dumplings you’ll ever have.

from YouTube:

Restaurants we went to:
Noodle Art
117 N Lincoln Ave Monterey Park, CA 91755

Dolan’s Uyghur Cuisine
Address: 742 W Valley Blvd, Alhambra, CA 91803

Mr. Dragon Noodle House
Address: 8526 Valley Blvd 108, Rosemead, CA 91770

Oakland:

Shooting Star Cafe
Gyu-Kaku Japanese BBQ
Peony Seafood Restaurant

Emeryville:

Baby Cafe Hong Kong Bistro (also with a branch in Oakland)

Berkeley:

Third Culture Bakery

00:00
Introduction

00:20 Horn BBQ

01:24 Orbit Coffee

02:01 Minnie Bell’s Soul Movement

02:45 alaMar Seafood

03:25 Sobre Mesa

Read the article: https://www.foodandwine.com/travel/ma…

Mam Hanoi Restaurant, open Tuesday to Sunday, 10am to 7pm, 261 10th St., Oakland. 510.817.4421. mamhanoi.com

https://mobile.twitter.com/taraduggan/status/1471516174319960068

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

The Eater article has Casa Latina as being on the Berkeley/Albany border. It’s quite a way south, in fact, closer to University.

There’s a tamale vendor in the parking lot at San Pablo and Cedar on weekdays.

1 Like
1 Like

from Center of Iranian Diaspora Studies at SF State -

1 Like

For the Year of the Tiger:

This sad news. They built something many said couldn’t be done but the pandemic hit.

Other closures: Trappist on 8th St. in Oakland.