Zucchini Bread

I made zucchini bread using James Beard’s recipe with slight change
Instead of a cup of vegetable oil, I used EVOO. I also added 1 tsp of nutmeg . The flour I use was King Arthur’s ll Purpose Flour . I did not peel the zucchini, also used 1/3/4 cup sugar instead of 2 cups.
The batter looked very dry, so I added half a cup of butter.
It was not bad but I thought it is a little on the dry side.
My son likes it though…
I read some bakers let their zucchini sit for 30 min and squeeze the liquid out. I let it sat for 30 minutes but the zucchini was dry, no juice to speak of. They were store bought small zucchini, total 2 cups per recipe.
Any one with experience with zucchini bread and how to correct it? It is great for breakfast.

Don’t drain the zucchini, the moisture is figured into the recipe.

My Fanny Farmer Baking Book is my go-to for classic American desserts. This is a good basic starter recipe that you can adjust according to taste. (Replace veg shortening with butter or oil, use different spices, no nuts or different nuts).

The ratios of flour, fat, liquid are spot on.

https://fromthefamilytable.com/tag/the-fannie-farmer-baking-book/

After dinner or tomorrow, I might make another batch as I still have 4 zucchinis left over. I looked at SS recipe, almost same as Beard’s, but they use light brown sugar and also 1/2 c olive oil and1/2 cup vegetable oil. I only have peanut oil ( buy that in 5 gallon quantity) , EVOO and so, am wandering if I can use Extra Virgin coconut oil as I hate grocery shopping. Those are the only oil I keep plus a bottle of grapeseed oil. I am trying to research on that as substitute for vegetable oil.
Thanks for info.

You can replace butter with coconut oil. 1:1 ratio.

1 Like

thanks

Found out that I only had 2 cups of Arthur’s all purpose flour. .So, I followed SE recipe, used 2/3 cups all purpose flour, 1/3 cup white wheat flour, same proportion of 3 eggs, 2 cup zucchini etc ut used 1 cup of demurer brown sugar per suggested by SS, 1/4 cup greek yogurt and just to on the safe side, added had a stick of butter to the cup of EVOO.
It turned out good, moist, but slightly crumbly.
Found out I have still 3 cups of zucchini,. Since my son already brought two loaves of the baked bread to share with some friends, I will bake tomorrow again, experimenting with 2/3 cup white wheat flour, 1/3 cup unbleached wheat flour and see what happens. Son usually prefers whole wheat products.
Thanks

just made and sent reply but forgot to preview
Sorry aout typos
SE not SS
Demurer sugar

just made it again to use up my zucchini
used 3 c King Arthur’s Whole Wheat unbleached flour, 3 cups, zucchini , coconut oil 1 cup, 1/4 cup greek yogurt and 3.6 oz of mott’s unsweetened applesauce, 1 cup walnut, 1 c raw brown sugar. cinnamon, nutmeg salt 1 tsp each .
This would be an excellent breakfast as it is not sweet at all.
Turned out moist, not dry at all. Incidentally, the other mix with 2/3 cup KA all purpose flour, 1/3 c white wheat flour did not crumble as I stated after it cooled a bit.
Trouble typing with swollen fingers

2 Likes

Wonderful adaption, it sounds terrific. Baking is funny, how there is so much chemistry involved, not to mention balancing sweetness and flavor.

I’m so glad your most recent batch turned out so well.

thanks, and I had been eating them ( sampling each batch) , without any significant rise in my BS
Time to go out and work in the garden again, ( sorry about all typos) but my index finger is completely numb from a callous as well as a big blister which probably is resting on my digital nerve, secondary to using a hemostat to pull weeds between cobblestones. had to order more, perhaps this time they are larger. Between my disability and cataract, either accept typos or not communicate.
Finally, decided to spray the other ones. Hate spraying bec of the babies ( hate chemicals) as well as the ugly brown weeds when they die.

1 Like

We’ve been making lemon-zucchini bread. I use the basic Zucchini Bread recipe from Betty Crocker (here: https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/zucchini-bread/5f75d183-d3e9-431a-9a93-22f0c957b56a ) & omit all the sices but add 1/2 of the zest of one lemon & all of the juice.

The basic Zucchini Bread recipe is pretty good too.

1 Like

Here is the newer version, adapting both the Betty Crocker and SEE’s recipe
Dried Ingredient: 3 cups of KA’s unbleached wheat flour
1tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp kosher salt
Beat 4 eggs , add 1 cup raw brown sugar, beat till frothy, add 3.9 ounce of molt’s unsweetened apple sauce, Kirkland’s greek yogurt with fruit under but removed the fruit, 3 cups of shredded zucchini, skin intact, 1 cup coconut oil, add the sifted dry ingredient
bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean

It was not sweet at all which was ideal for breakfast with cream cheese or butter
Was pretty good.

3 Likes