youtube recommendations

Are there youtube channels of cooking instruction that you wise ones can recommend? I have found some (Adam Ragusea, NYT, Epicurious, and others) but what might I be missing? What are your favorites?

I like these ladies.
Not sure if this is what you’re looking for :wink:

2 Likes

These ladies are fun to watch and they have a supplemental cookbook.

2 Likes

Usually, I’m drawn to chefs that are women yet lately Jacques Pepin is my new favourite:

3 Likes

Pretty much the only one I have any use for.

And I still have a soft spot for this, even though Francis (aka Dog) has shuffled off the mortal coil.

2 Likes

Maangchi is a pleasure to watch.
She also shows tips and tricks about shopping in a Korean Market.

She is a treasure, generally. Walked me through my first batch of kimchi.

1 Like

Ancient Recipes with Sohla
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w20anHB8kFY

Chinese Cooking Demystified

Pailin’s Kitchen

Rie McClenny

These are my favorites right now.

2 Likes

Wilderness Cooking, with this guy from Azerbaijan who just kicks butt. Love his cutlery and skills.

3 Likes

Mandy at Souped Up Recipes is my go to for Chinese cooking. She is an excellent teacher!

Helen Rennie is another great teacher.

The Woks of Life https://thewoksoflife.com/ - Chinese

Another vote for Pailin’s Kitchen.

Check out Chris Morroco’s segments on Bon Appetit’s youtube channel where he reverse engineers a dish by a famous chef. He tastes it blind folded then tries to recreate. Here’s an example

Many of the food youtubers that I used to watch have become so successful and great for them but they feel so inauthentic to me due to all the handling by marketers and PR that I find them insufferable and no longer watch. Binging with Babish is a great example.

6 Likes
2 Likes

June from Delish (Budget Eats and Spice Show) makes miracles in a microscopic NYC apartment kitchen. She isn’t afraid to let her frustrations show.

Delish Budget Eats playlist:

Delish Spice Show playlist:

2 Likes

I like these quick and inexpensive sheet pan meals

1 Like

This is more “food entertainment” but I have also been enjoying Steven Lim’s food related work on the Watcher YouTube channel:

Dish Granted

Homemade

1 Like

I like watching him because of his style and he’s good for 3 or more recipes per video.

1 Like

Thanks–wow! I’ve been binge-watching Helen today, but am eager to check out some of the others.

Well, yeah! Even now, as an octogenarian, he’s a cutie. When he was in his forties and my mom was in her eighties, she had a crush on him and never missed whatever PBS cooking show he had at the time. She was very proper, but always cracked up when he baked using a “cookie shit”. :cookie::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::cookie:

1 Like

Glen and Friends is a Canadian show on Youtube. He frequently uses vintage and antique cookbooks, which have interesting recipes, e.g. something that’s sort of a combination of popover and cupcake/muffin.

Arne and Carlos are Norwegian yarnwear designers with a weekly video podcast that combines yarncrafts and lifestyle activities. Their YouTube channel includes a list of their cooking/baking videos. Most of the food is traditional Scandinavian; part of the interest is their personalities, their dogs, and their lovely home.

3 Likes

I recommend Kimono Mom. 20% food recipes and 80% Sutan! :baby:

3 Likes

I’ve been reading the upgrade syndrome thread.
Watching the above video and her peeling potatoes, now that is the definition of a true minimalist !