Your Favorite Meal To Eat Out

The menu at our local (food) pub:

https://www.brunningandprice.co.uk/bullshead/menus/daily-menu/

I see they have braised lamb back on the menu, after several months absence, so we’ll be back there soon

5 Likes

Wow those are different prices compared to London! With such a menu and these prices I’d probably eat there every week… :slight_smile:

By the way, what is ‘coronation style’? I’ll be in London again next week for business, but we’re going with a large group now so for one night they made us choose from a catering menu. I saw coronation chicken and eton mess, both I’ve never had.

1 Like

I assume it must be some take on coronation chicken and, of course, with Liz’s Jubilee just passed, it seems very appropriate. So, probably, lightly curried mayo with a sweetness from raisins or some such. Eton Mess may well be my favourite summer dessert.

And, yes, once you get outside London’s central business/touristy area , prices become much more reasonable. When I was regularly visiting our National Archives, I stayed in Brentford and Richmond and restaurant prices were much the same as at home

4 Likes

For some inexplicable reason it is hard to get a shoulder of lamb in the USA. We can get leg of lamb, but it is usually (and sadly) boned. We can get loin chops and usually but not always rib chops, shanks, and shoulder chops, usually cut pretty thin. I would love a large cut of lamb braised for hours.

2 Likes

I don’t know where in the US you are located, but if it’s not a major urban area, a local farm might be the ticket. We’ve bought half a lamb the last couple of years, and get all the cuts we want - shanks, legs (bone-in), chops from all parts, innards, and lots and lots of ground lamb :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There is some discussion of Coronation chicken here. The egg , chicken or other chopped sandwich or salad thread

And Coronation Shrimp here
BRITISH - Fall 2020 (Oct-Dec) Cuisine of the Quarter.

I like it. Many pre-made sandwich shops (EAT, etc) and M& S, Boots, Sainsbury’s, have Coronation chicken sandwiches to go. The pre-made sandwich game in the UK is lightyears ahead of Canada’s.

2 Likes

I’m in the Southeastern US and it’s pretty similar, although I can regularly get bone-in leg and the rib chops etc. that you mentioned. But I haven’t seen shoulder in years at the grocery or the (admittedly few) meat markets I stop at sometimes.

To @bbqboy’s question, in general I prefer lunch to dinner, and we rarely eat breakfast out. Usually lunch is not so crowded as the same spot might be for dinner, and I really hate having to shout to make myself heard to others. Plus with a large family, cost is a consideration and I could feed us lunch at (e.g.) a favorite Persian restaurant for $140 whereas the same thing at dinner (although larger proportions) would be closer to $200. (Side note - we’re all water drinkers which here is just free tap water - we’d spend a lot more if the kids were having sodas and we were drinking wine.)

My exception about breakfast is if we’re on vacation, then I really like to eat breakfast out at least a few of the days. But I think that’s because I run into stuff for breakfast that I wouldn’t normally make myself for breakfast. Seafood frittatas or loco moco (thick hamburger with eggs over easy sitting in a big bowl of rice with gravy poured over), conch eggs benedict, etc.

1 Like

It’s a massive, massive business. All of the outlets pretty much offering the same sandwiches. I would guess there’s major wholesale production going on.

1 Like

Seeing as a sheep is getting butchered, I wonder what the shoulder meat is getting used for. Minced?

I love a good diner breakfast–french toast, bacon, hash browns, scrambled eggs. Yum!
I also go to Chinatown for roast pork and duck, I just can’t replicate these at home.

1 Like

I used to work for a catering logistics company that supplied most of the UK train operators. As you can imagine we supplied a lot of ready made sandwiches. There are indeed companies who supply a number of retailers.

The UK are a world leader in ready made sandwiches ( make of that what you will) with other countries manufacturers coming to the UK for advice. It started with staff in a Cambridge branch of Marks & Spencer knocking up salmon and even pilchard sandwiches in the early 80’s’ and is now a £8 billion industry. This Guardian long read charts the history and I found it really interesting. It’s also available as a podcast episode.

5 Likes

Late lunch early dinner/supper on a Saturday (Linner/Lupper). I cannot relax at lunch during the week and have no patience to sit through breakfast in a restaurant. Dinner at most San Francisco restaurants on a weekend are such a mad scene I prefer to eat early.

1 Like

Dim sum

4 Likes

We enjoy eating dinner out at nice BYO’s over the weekend. We dine early before it gets too crazy. I don’t mind spending extra on the food, but don’t want to spend triple the amount on wine. This way we get to enjoy our nice wines with some great food and service, and not have to worry about cleaning up afterwards.

5 Likes

We used to each lunch out 5 or 6 times a week B.C. (Before COVID). Now it’s still lunch, but more like once a week. We’re older and retired, and the portions at lunch are more the size (and price) that we want.

5 Likes

That was really interesting.
I associate cold sandwiches as home made or the other option at school lunch.
if I’m paying for it I want hot sandwiches :sandwich:!

Open faced turkey or roast beef sandwiches are the stuff of diner heaven :yum:

3 Likes

Lunch is the meal we eat out most often. I’m not fond of typical breakfast food and don’t eat much for breakfast at home. In my dreams we would have a place for dim sum! We usually only go out for dinner if it is a special occasion (birthday/anniversary) or if we have houseguests who have favorite restaurants here.

1 Like

Dessert

Dinner twice every week with reservations normally between 7-8pm

My favorite meal to eat out is dim sum at Yank Sing in San Francisco. A bit expensive but the quality is there and I always end up very satisfied.

I can’t stand lengthy meals like on cruise ships.

Really fresh fish from a quality fish restaurant, like Tadich, is something I can’t replicate at home. I miss whole belly fried clams from Cape Cod and lobster pounds in Maine.

5 Likes