Your Favorite Jarred Marinara/Pasta Sauce...

Just note that the sale occurred in 2017.

2 Likes

Guess we have to stock up now. After 2022, their devoted followers will know if the quality goes to shit.

1 Like

Everyone loves Rao’s, and call me a Philistine, but I tried it and I still prefer Classico. (Actually, I think the recipe Consumer Reports had fifty years ago is pretty good, very easy, and way cheaper: Saute a diced onion and a diced clove of garlic; add a 28-oz can of crushed tomatoes, 2 6-oz cans of tomato paste, a cup of water, 2 tsp dried basil (or 2 Tbsp fresh), and 2 tsp dried oregano; simmer 30 minutes. (Obviously, you can adjust the garlic, basil, and oregano.)

3 Likes

updating: picked up a couple of jars of mezetta’s at target — the marinara with plum tomatoes and the parm. the parm version i could eat with a spoon. the marinara i found quite oily and a bit salty.

so, i’m sticking with rao’s, which is now a bit more expensive at market basket (what isn’t?), but still far less than other places.

2 Likes

I have never heard of nor seen Carbone.
Is it widely distributed?
I know I miss a lot of things here in rural Oregon.

I keep trying new marinara, vodka, arrabbiata and Siciliana sauces.

I haven’t settled on a favourite.

I haven’t seen Carbone in Canada.

I’m trying Rao’s Arrabbiata next. I have liked Rao’s Vodka, Marinara and Tomato Basil Sauces. Deals in [Ontario]

My most recent sauce was Ursini Tomato Basil, which was pretty good. 8/10 $9.90 Cdn for 480 ml.

1 Like

I had to look up a picture of it, as I’d never heard of it in New England. Nope. Never seen it.

download (2)

1 Like

By all accounts, actually eating at Rao’s in New York is a near impossibility – you have to know someone who knows someone who knows . . . So, an old friend managed the trick on the umpteenth try and reported back: “Why the fuss?”

2 Likes

It’ll probably earn me a ticket to hell, but I feel that way about most Italian restaurants.
Sandwiches and pizza: love em.
Sit down places, I’ll pass.
:innocent:

1 Like

Lol ! I really do enjoy your sense of humour.

We love Rao’s but are always on the lookout for great items. Looked this up on line. Rao’s Marinara was $10.99 for 32oz yesterday at Albertson’s; less when I find it at Costco or on sale elsewhere. Carbone is available at a few local chains too, but seems to be $12 for 24oz. If I’m remembering my basic algebra, that means Carbone is 50% more per ounce. Not necessarily a total deal-breaker, but it wouLd have to be REALLY good at that price.

3 Likes

Agree for the most part… but some have outstanding dishes over and above pasta. Up here, the long gone “Dante’s on the River” had a calamari steak done in a white wine, lemon butter sauce with garlic and shallots that was a once a week lunch or dinner. Boy do I miss it.

1 Like

The Farm Boy tomato basil sauce is very good, especially for a jar that costs less than $6 Cdn.

What are your favourite spaghetti sauce hacks, to improve a jar?

1 Like

For a while I have been skipping the jarred sauces, but when I used them, I found I doctored them enough that the brand made very little difference. So I got the store brand. I recently got a bottle of HEB tomato basil, just in case, but frankly a sauce of crushed San Marzanos with a soffrito, white wine, plenty of black pepper, and the herbs or spices of my choice is awfully quick and easy. I keep a tube of tomato paste for times when something a little heartier is desired.

1 Like

“Toasting” some tomato paste (and anchovies or anchovy paste) & RPF in a bit of olive oil before adding the jarred sauce. Adding onion and garlic powder & frozen or fresh basil.

4 Likes

Has anyone tried these?
Muir Glen only $1.99
The Lucini is $5.99- from Italy

1 Like

Happy with Carbone Marinara that runs $9 Canadian a jar.

1 Like

I don’t always check out the peripheral-to-me food discussions. In Greater Boston these days, I choose Carbone over Rao’s. They’re both pricey but they’re often on sale.

3 Likes

Recently our local HEB stopped carrying Cento regular and San Romano whole peeled tomatoes in 14 oz. cans. 24 oz. is a lot. So I tried a can of Mutti. They are not San Marzanos, but they are incredibly good in a super quick marinara or a pizza sauce (basically marinara with a splash of red wine vinegar and some oregano). I refuse to let Rao’s, Mezzetta, or anyone else have the thrill of smushing the tomatoes in their hands.

6 Likes

I like the Mutti cherry tomatoes, too. Nice size of fan for my cooking style.

2 Likes