Your favorite food scene in a movie

Quite a few movie fans on HO. What is your favorite movie food scene and why. Did the scene inspire you to create the meal?

My wife loved the meals filmed in Mama Mia because it was so joyful.

A curious guy, Rooster

1 Like

There are many movies with food scenes I enjoy watching. First 2 that come to mind are “Eat, drink, man, woman” (Taiwanese), and “Tamporo” (Japanese). I watched Tamporo on VHS more than 25 years ago, saw it again a couple of years ago. Want to see it again soon, probably.

7 Likes

Excerpt wiki. After a controlling owner (Dustin Hoffman) pushes him too far, chef Carl Casper (Jon Favreau) quits his position at a prestigious Los Angeles restaurant. As he tries to figure out what his next step should be, he finds himself in Miami. Carl joins forces with his ex-wife (Sofía Vergara), best friend (John Leguizamo) and son (Emjay Anthony) to launch a food-truck business, and the venture provides a chance to reignite his passion for cooking – as well as his zest for life and love.

Chef was a fun food film and gave props to food truckers.

7 Likes

Julia’s first experience of sole meuniere in Julie and Julia. It zeroes in on what it is like to taste a food that is immeasurably better than anything that has hit your taste buds before .

7 Likes

Great choice. I enjoyed MStreep’s onion slicing scene.

1 Like

Stephen Chow’s “The God of Cookery”. Bought the bootlegged DVD (gasp) in Shanghai for a dollar 20 some odd years ago. Have watched and rewatched this very funny flick at least a half dozen times.

In one scene, the star was a simple Cantonese bowl of cha siu (bbq pork), greens, fried egg on rice, drizzled with a touch of oyster sauce.

Super humble simple dish. That just hits all my sweet spots. Yes, I’ve made this at home, and ordered countless times in restaurants (even before the movie).

From Google:

The God of Cookery is available on YouTube. :wink:

7 Likes

Thank you. I will seek this out. So cool when a film hits all the spots!

The God of Cookery may not ring the bell for most folks. It’s campy, in the vein of Austin Powers.

But hey, I lik Austin Powers also.

2 Likes

Babette’s Feast. A thanksgiving tradition.

10 Likes

Big Night. The NY Times published a recipe for the star dish, timbalo, and a friend of mine made it and liked the result. And I loved the end, a very long single take where one of the brothers makes an omelet and shares it with the others.

14 Likes

I ‘m not familiar. Will def look into this film.

This:

4 Likes

@jimmy gives new meaning to the phrase go big or go home. I dont think I could stomach that scene more than once.

2 Likes

I couldn’t help myself, Dan. :stuck_out_tongue:

(and it has stayed in my memory all these years)

I hear ya! There are a few episodes from Portlandia (although thats cable tv) that are burned in my brain.

9 1/2 Weeks

lol…while this song plays.

Ratatouille - When the nasty critic has the first bite of the namesake dish and is transported back to childhood

Spanglish - Adam Sandler makes himself a late night sandwich

3 Likes

Couldnt agree more. Really enjoyed both of those films. I dont always enjoy Sandler but that was a fun movie and how can you resist that scene in Ratatouille.

In the mayhem department:

5 Likes