Who has the best outdoor dining setup (distance, heat and good food)? [Boston, MA]

I’d consider Spoke. I’m not sure how big a group they’ll take but their outdoor setup is quite nice and they appeared to be taking very good COVID precautions when we ate there.

I haven’t been since having spring onion but I loved it then. The current menu looks absolutely Felisha (aka Flea)-worthy.

Curious minds look forward to a post-meal report @uni (no pressure!).

ETA: What happened to the full-on sun that we were supposed to have today? That might make heaters even more imperative this evening, but hell, we’re hearty New Englanders, correct?!

4 Likes

If you’re in the Waltham area - Gustavos (which moved from Main street to Moody street this year) has a pretty nice outdoor set up. Their seating is not directly on Moody street (unlike others), it is in this little open space beside the building. It is surrounded by acrylic panels to cut down on any breeze (top is still open, so not tented in) and they have lots of heaters. They’ve really put a lot into trying to extend their dining season . . . .

3 Likes

We had an early lunch at B & G Oysters. Two outdoor options to choose from, a below-grade terrace in back and street level tables on the side. Tables well-spaced, and abundant heat lamps.

4 Likes

We’ve enjoyed a lot of Semolina Kitchen take out since March, though I have no experience with eating on the patio.

2 Likes

Has anyone ventured outdoor dining in Boston this fall? Friends are coming into
town so I’m wondering if a meal outdoors is still possible and/or tolerable in November. Where?

This is a long shot, for scheduling reasons also. Though if don’t ask I certainly won’t be ready with good suggestion(s) for a get-together.

We had a very nice meal on Pammy’s street patio earlier this week. I don’t love the new prix fixe format, but the food was as good as ever. It was not only tolerable, but quite beautiful to dine outside this past week (and most of the fall). However, it is supposed to be colder moving forward. We did some outside meals last November, mostly out of desperation, but it was damn cold. Many places have heaters, but make sure you are right under one.

4 Likes

^ Keeping this in mind for sure, thanks.

1. Loyal Nine? It was warm when we ate there, but they did have heating lamps.

2. Oleana now takes garden reservations, but I have not checked since September.

I like both of these because you are not on a sidewalk. Also the food.

1. Forage has an outdoor set up in their off-street parking lot, but my experience with their food has been a bit mixed. They do have interesting-sounding Tuesday-wine dinners, though.
4 Likes

^ This. I much prefer not being on the sidewalk, both from a distancing perspective and because I don’t feel the need to be a public spectacle while eating. It’s dinner, not a show. :laughing:

Thanks for the tips!

Now you have me intrigued. How dramatically do you eat anyway?

Eating on the sidewalk in the US has all sorts of implications and consequences. We don’t face this particular problem as much in the Greater Boston area:

but it is a theoretical question for us. American cities were not set up for outdoor dining, unlike European, so we’ve a long way to go. (Set up a better safety net, anyone?)

3 Likes

Saltie Girl has a nice setup.

As do we at home - I picked up a second propane patio heater for $99 recently and we have been getting maximum benefit from our small terrace.

5 Likes

Well, I do wish I could unhinge my jaw or something amazing like that. Then I’d sell tickets, LOL.

And in relation to the article you linked, food insecurity is a very big deal to me (personal history from times in childhood). Whatever we do to help always feels like a drop in an ocean of need. Yeah, a long way to go.

6 Likes

Great to know. Sounds enticing!

Unless your friends know what to do after a random person screams “O-H!!” in an eating and drinking establishment, then I’m afraid I can’t make any suggestions.

That said, we have dined into December outside and fared well (I think once was at Brewers Fork?). Have blankets, will travel.

2 Likes

I can’t believe we’re having this conversation again a year later. Such a bummer.

We had a nice dinner right under a heater, on a set-back space, at Pagu.

5 Likes

Yes, the Pagu outdoor space does have, as you say, some tables “set back” from passersby .

4 Likes

We had dinner (inside) at Little Donkey last weekend and they had the sidewalk set up with tables and heaters.
And Sarma is still taking reservations for the patio…not sure about heaters though.

5 Likes

And of course we are under a tornado watch. We’re experiencing thunder and lightning right now. I don’t think blankets can help under these conditions. More important I feel bad for restaurants that are depending on outdoor dining.

5 Likes

Thank you all for the recommendations. These should come in handy the next time around. Alas, the schedule of our friends and reasonable weather for outdoor dining did not mesh.

2 Likes