White residue on wine glasses in dishwasher

We drink wine with almost every meal and have decent quality (but not expensive) stemware we put in our dishwasher at an angle on the top shelf. Due to the curvature of the larger stemware (red wine) we almost always find a semi-circular white residue at the bottom inside after drying. I try to be around to take them out during the drying cycle and dry them with a polishing cloth, but that’s not always possible. I wind up rewashing by hand, using white vinegar, and I’d love to find a rinse aid that works on this in the dishwasher.

We currently use a product called Finish Jet Dry, but it doesn’t seem to accomplish what I need.

I don’t have this problem, but live in the Sierra where or tap water has very low TDS (total dissolved solids). I also don’t ever use the heated dry element, but don’t know if that is a cause or not.

Interesting thought re the heated dry. I’ll give it a try without that and see if it makes a difference. Thanks.

‘rinse aids’ are surfactants - they make water ‘wetter’ so it does not bead up into drops.

the water is draining (smoothly) to the rim, and puddling there. when it evaporates it leaves dissolved solids . . . so, it’s a water chemistry problem, not a rinse aid issue.

Thank you. I thought that was likely the main issue without knowing exactly what rinse aids do.

I have some cool L-shaped rubbery support brackets made specifically to allow larger stemware to be vertical in the lower portion of the dishwasher, but it actually takes longer to set them up than to rewash.

If it is mineral deposits on the stemware, putting a small bowl with !/2 cup of white vinegar in it before starting the dishwasher, may help to prevent them from forming. As we have no water softener, we use this method to prevent damage to the machine and the dishes/glass. I always hand wash my stemware, so I can’t give you any first-hand knowledge about those.

1 Like

Moved this to cookware (and kitchen appliances), as it concerns dish washer.

Thanks…… I think. On my iPhone the category says only “Cookware”. Am I not accessing it correctly or is there some way I would know that kitchen appliances are included?

Actually, it’s a bit confusing right now, and we will be doing some organizing soon and see if we will rename the sub-board or split into different sections.

I’m sure you’re all very busy right now with the influx of CHs and figuring out how to best keep new people happy.

This has nothing to do with CH influx.

Note that this has been mentioned well before. We want to tidy up tags and probably do some structuring.

You can read more here:

@LilRedHen where do you place the bowl of vinegar?

Maybe this thread is useful.

You probably need a rinse agent that adapt to the hardness of water in your region and work well with glass ware.

Personally, I hand wash wine glasses, it’s faster and cleaner.

Not as fast as drinking from the bottle!

But seriously; thank you!

If the glasses are etched, you’re hosed. Try soaking one glass in vinegar for 5 minutes and assess.

If this works, you don’t have to soak every one individually. Cascade recommends putting a bowl with 2 cups of vinegar on your bottom DW drawer and running a cycle without detergent or metal utensils. Then wash again.

I only use liquid DW soap because I’m now on a septic system, but my understanding is that many of the brands of packs and pucks come with a rinse agent.

It sounds as if we have the same stands made to DW wine glasses vertically. They work well, but are definitely not space-savers. I end up handwashing most stems.

I had that white powdery substance residue problem back in the 80’s but it wasn’t on the wine glasses. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Mostly I wind up having to do is to get the ‘crusted’ area wet with hot water and dry by hand. That’s usually enough. It doesn’t require soaking.

If I’m able, I pull them out before the heated dry begins and just need to lightly hand dry.