Where to eat in Mill Valley? "Talkin' bout Mill Valley, California, (not my home)."

We will be heading out of Muir Woods, late afternoon, this Friday. Family is visiting and said she wanted to go. I think it’s a great idea, and can’t believe in 30+ years I haven’t been.

Daughter worked a few years at a Girl Scout camp around those parts and I remember wanting to try a few restaurants, but can’t remember where. And that was a very long time ago.

I’m dreading the traffic coming back on the 80, but wonder if it might be worth stopping for eat in or take out.

We will have a few Napa excursions, and one to San Francisco.

BTW, our original reservation was for Monday, but the forecast says rain. Today I read the rain doesn’t get much past the tree canopies! Does anyone have experience with that?

1 Like

I haven’t been, but I’ve wanted to go for a decade. Harmony serves dim sum made from sustainable seafood. I guess the affluence in Marin means people will pay for dim sum made from sustainable shrimp. The price point is so important for restaurants in TO, that no Chinese restaurants, even our posh Chinese restaurants, have been making a commitment to using sustainable shrimp.

My foodie cousin who passes through Mill Valley once or twice a month on her way to see my aunt, has been several times.

about Harmony

Menu

3 Likes

If you have the time, driving up 1 to Inverness, then back to San Rafael on Sir Francis Drake is a really worthwhile endeavor.
I used to do this drive on my Lambretta.
Great fun.
“Saltwater Oyster Depot” http://www.saltwateroysterdepot.com

I see this place listed but have never been…
Perhaps someone here has. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A little past Inverness. I want to visit Due West next time I’m near Olema.

Due West

Olema House’ Due West Tavern’s Menu

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Sol Food (Puerto Rican/Latin) opened a branch in Mill Valley - I’ve always enjoyed their offerings at the San Rafael mothership.
Pizza Hacker - my favorite pizzeria in SF now has a branch in Mill Valley inside The Junction beer garden.

5 Likes

I too wanted to try Harmony for years, always driving past it on the way to somewhere else, with other food plans. We finally got takeout last year and it was good but you really pay for that sustainable seafood. I doubt I’ll try it again.

3 Likes

I live in the area. We don’t eat out much because things tend to be pricey. But I’d recommend:
Harmony (pricey, dim sum, upscale)
Grilly’s (semi-Mexican)
The Junction (excellent pizza)
Shoreline Cafe (funky, but the food is good)
Floodwater (sports bar)
Hog Island Oyster Bar - Marin County Mart - (haven’t been but what’s not to like?!)
Poggio - Sausalito - (Italian, excellent food, great people watching if you sit outside)
Fish - Sausalito- (wonderful food - mostly outside seating)
Sol Food (great food, not sure about the seating)

3 Likes

Sol Food is the place we tried to get to!

3 Likes

Sol Food is excellent. The Mill Valley location (near Miller) has easy parking.
The Junction w/ Pizza Hacker (semi-separate businesses – you pay The Junction for beer / wine, and Pizza Hacker for the pizza) is great and will be directly on your route leaving Muir. It will likely be pretty busy today, and parking can sometimes fill up. They have a nice outdoor beer garden but it’ll probably be a little chilly (down in the valley, gets the breeze off the creek).
Also nearby (same block) and excellent is Hook Fish (Like Pizza Hacker, another Marin branch of an SF restaurant). Same kind of outdoor beer garden, and same likely parking trickiness.
Shoreline Cafe is a great, kind-of sleeper-hipster Mexican/American breakfast cafe, but I don’t think they will be open in the afternoon.
Good Earth has decent grab and go options.
I can’t think of many other restaurants I’d highly recommend, but I don’t go out often (kids, cost). Burma Town is one I’ve been meaning to visit, not clear if they’re open for dining since I think they’re moving locations.

4 Likes

For classics: Buckeye Roadhouse.

4 Likes

Went to Mill Valley Sol Food.( Accidentally Cafe del Soul*, but no. )

They had only take out. On our way home and it smells so good!

1 Like

4 Likes

Oh man, I loved Sol Food. My office used to get take out from the one in San Rafael all the time. I wanted to also mention Avatar’s Punjabi Burritos as an extremely delicious carry out option if you make it to Mill Valley again.

4 Likes

A bit late to the party but… IL Davide in San Rafael, RH Rooftop in Corte Madera (overpriced but very relaxing), State Room brewpub

3 Likes

Not about food but still thinking about my visit, and had to share a picture.

Find the people in the picture for perspective!

6 Likes

next time you can stop at Sushi Ran in Sausalito for a glass of Born nama genshu sake and some food

3 Likes

I had lunch at Fish in Sausalito last weekend, the fish and chips were as good as ever and daughter loved the grilled fish tacos. Some of the pricing has gotten a bit precious though, the dungeness crab roll was $49.

5 Likes