Where do you like to vacation?

I’ll start the ball rolling. Summer – NC shore, Mountains (Vail and Tahoe), Maine; Fall – (Europe, mainly France, one river cruise); Winter/Spring – Florida (N Palm Beach area; Marco Island; Key West), the Islands; CA/AZ.

We don’t do that every year., of course. Maybe one mountain trip, Europe every other year; two or three trips to FL or the Islands. We’re retired and able to travel a good bit.

3 Likes

This will, I hope, segue into where you like to eat when you’re there

2 Likes

It varies, but I wanted to chime in. If I had to pick I’d say the Amalfi coast, but I hope I never have to pick, and right here on the California coast is pretty nice too.

3 Likes

We visit Spain each year at least once. Also enjoy weeks away at home, here in the UK. We’ve also visited North America fairly regularly since 1980 (eastern states) - but my eyesight has deteriorated in the last couple of years, particularly night vision, so I no longer feel comfortable (or safe) driving “over there”, so those trips are probably now history. We have a couple of cruises planned over the next couple of years.

4 Likes

@harters you know we got drivers here who drive anyway despite being pretty much legally blind. And some drivers who aren’t blind but drive like that.

9 Likes

Since I live in the mountains of southwest Virginia, I head to South Carolina or Florida beaches! I hope when hubby is done farming (yeah that will happen) and I retire (again I will have to work until the day AFTER I die), I will be able to buy a place in SC close to water. And when I visit either state, I eat all kinds of “things without shoulders” which is my husband’s term for seafood.

7 Likes

Possibly and hopefully within the next 18 months:
Montreal
Calgary - Banff - Rockies
NYC

——
Someday:

Amalfi
Puglia
Lesvos- Thessaloniki
Scotland and more of Northern England
Paris
Japan

5 Likes

I’m an exceedingly private person so don’t officially vacation but starting to feel the urge. My eye is a beach spot on Nusa Penida or Lombok.

2 Likes

What constitutes an official vacation as opposed to an unofficial one?
Asking for a friend :sunny:
I already live in a locale that many vacationers frequent so an interesting question.
As opposed to Kansas where vacations were a reward for residing there the other 50 weeks. :sunglasses:
:partying_face:

4 Likes

Is there a difference? I think either way you declare yourself on vacation – as long as you aren’t still at home

1 Like

Nice!

vafarmwife,

We used to go to Hilton Head annually, and once last year. I really iike Red Fish there, and this last visit we had a great meal at the Lucky Rooster. My last trip to Charleston everything I ate had shoulders.

2 Likes

As an Angus beef producer, whenever I go somewhere I never eat steak. Like I told one man in Ormond Beach, why should I eat it here when I have it at home for free. LOL

5 Likes

Some years back, we declared we were having a week’s holiday - but were staying at home. Didnt do any household chores (other than those we’d do if we’d rented a holiday apartment). Sat in the garden, read, had siestas, ate out or had takeaway every night. It was great - although not as great as actually going away

5 Likes

In my case it would be a destination away from my current locations where the intention is to break the normal routine and relax or sightsee. In reality work and relaxation are so coalesced they’re nearly indistinguishable. I think that and the need for privacy are the prime factors for not craving a true getaway vacation.

2 Likes

When my wife and I were together we declared ‘holidays’ where there was no cooking or chores…just endless cocktail hours and grazing on heavy hors d’oeuvres. :yum:

3 Likes

My cousin, who raises cattle, mostly eats chicken when he dines out. I found out when he visited me, he only likes dark meat, which means his choices were limited mostly to wings at the pubs and restaurants where I live.

4 Likes

I went to a steakhouse when I was at the beach last year and ate chicken :crazy_face: I had three nights of seafood and wanted something “plain”. But the reason I went to that particular steakhouse was the salad I wanted.

3 Likes

I often order Oysters Rockefeller, Shrimp Cocktail or a Wedge Salad at steakhouses, since they’re the main places that keep those dishes on the menu up here in Toronto and southern Ontario.

The main places to get a tableside Caesar salad, Crêpes Suzette or Cherries Jubilee in Toronto are at some old-fashioned steakhouses.

3 Likes

Everyone thinks I am weird for vacationing by myself-no husband. One he does not travel well and two he will not leave his “girls” on the farm. Finally, I love him, but I need a break. I go to the beach, people watch, eat what i want to, no cooking, no cleaning, no dishes. I love it.

14 Likes