What's your favorite starch ?

Potato would be on the top of my list.
then bread
and then pasta .
I don’t mind rice . I just never make it .
I almost always have a starch with dinner , a vegetable , with some kind of protein .
I love my croissants in the morning also .
Is cake considered a starch ?
Or do you just leave it all alone ?

1 Like

Anything in which flour is a major ingredient is a starch, IMO, so that includes most cakes and baked goods, pancakes, crepes, etc.

Bread tops my list. Then potato, rice, other grains, legumes, and pasta at the bottom, but I still like it a lot.

1 Like

I do love many starch variations, but when it comes to picking a favorite, there’s little room for debate. Put me down for a freshly baked loaf of bread.

1 Like

As MZ said - if there’s a freshly baked loaf of bread and a baked potato to choose from? I’m tearing off a hunk of that bread and slathering it with some butter and noshing.

But potatoes, pasta, bread, and rice are all enjoyed in my house, depending on the main. Beef tends to get potatoes; chicken/fish gets rice; and a red sauce Italian gets both pasta AND bread.

2 Likes

Potato!

1 Like

Easy: pasta wins hands down. Then potatoes. Then bread. Rice? Eh. I could live happily without ever eating rice again… whereas I could eat pasta almost every day - versatile, cheap, delicious.

But I don’t. I’m one of those low-carbers, so any of those are special occasion foods. :cry:

2 Likes

We don’t eat starchy stuff often and try to make it worth it when we do (like Valentine’s Day dinners lemony risotto with asparagus, wild gulf shrimp and porcini.) If I had to choose just one I’d say sweet potatoes, which we indulge in the dinner before long bike riding days at the beach.

1 Like

Oooh tough one! I’d like to eat pastry and French fries all the time, but in practice I eat a lot more rice. I love sticky rice especially!

1 Like

Bread.

1 Like

Y’all need to combine the bread and the spud. Recipe here - http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Chip-Butty

Although, please note that this link appears not to have been written by a Briton and, as such, any relationship to the authenticity of parts of the dish is entirely co-incidental. I can, if required, give the authentic north west England version of the recipe.

1 Like

Bread, pasta & potatoes in that order.
I have never met a starch I did not like!

2 Likes

Bread. Pasta. Potatoes. Rice.

In no particular order.

I don’t miss pasta (paste, after all) rice, potatoes at all. I eat low carb, too, and have not had a bagel or pizza with the crust in about a decade. I don’t crave them, but if I ever find out I’m facing imminent death/terminal illness, I’m going to have a fresh, hot slice of NY pizza followed by an everything bagel top half chaser. :slightly_smiling:

Of course, then I’ll bloat and ache all over, and remember why I don’t eat them any more, but heck… ya can’t have everything.

2 Likes

Low carber here as well, so as others have said, all starches are special occasion foods. I guess bread/pizza crust would be at the top of my list - I probably eat it more frequently than any other starch. Then noodles and rice. Potatoes would be at the bottom - while I love a really good gratin or French fries, most potato dishes bore me to tears, and I have gotten to the point where i actually prefer cauliflower puree as a soup thickener and topping for Shepherd’s Pie and the like.

1 Like

Hmmm…this looks like a great childhood meal - fish sticks and french fries - just with the fries between the bread!

1 Like

WHAT A TOUGH CHOICE!

Bread, I guess. But not just any bread. Must be stellar in taste and mouth feel. Chewy crust also.

Then potatoes. Then rice (any type). Then pasta. But then again, wouldn’t slight pasta in the least.

2 Likes

I don’t have any adverse physical reactions… unless you count gaining weight.

3 Likes

Good bread, potatoes, pasta and rice in that order.

1 Like

Corn on the cob. Before I had to start limiting carbs, I was known to eat five or six ears at a sitting.

YES! Granddaughter of a farmer (a teeny one in upstate NY) I had to be stopped at 3 ears of corn at the age of 4 and, at 11, only narrowly lost the contest with my cousin when he ate 13 ears.

Next favorite starch: If I’m being, honest, croutons. Buttery, garlicky homemade croutons made with any of the great bread we have in the Bay Area.

I may not be able to drink milk anymore but, by god, I love My Starches. They play so nicely with My Fats.