What's the weirdest food in Pa.? It's not what you think

What’s REALLY weird is that I photographed this dish at the Silver Leaf Diner in Richville, St. Lawrence County, NY, a good five hours from the PA border. Well, we have Amish up there too…

1 Like

Not a fan myself, but my mom loves the stuff. And it is indeed on every diner menu in PA. I’ll stick to scrapple myself :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Faygo is not weird.
Smelt is weird.
Faygo is not.

The most interesting thing I learned from that Buzzfeed list is that its assembler thinks fried squid is weird. And that it’s “a thing” in Nevada.

1 Like

Damnit, you made me click! Just kidding.

I’d say Nevada has those diabetes-inducing milkshakes where there’s a complete slice of cake in it. They’re all over Instagram.

What a goofy list. The overwhelming majority of those dishes are the backbone of the whole Roadfood community.

1 Like

I hadn’t clicked on to the actual Buzzfeed article earlier, but I have to agree that many of these foods are not that weird. I mean cider donuts are “a thing” all through New England and the Midatlantic, especially in the fall. And ham on a biscuit? Pepperoni rolls? Clams and breadcrumbs? Deep fried squid? Taylor ham? I can get any of these items without having to travel more than 10-15 mins from home.

I’ll give them muskrat and ice cream potatoes, though :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

Muskrat is definitely weird. I’d argue that it belongs as Delaware’s weird food rather than Maryland’s weird food, though. DE’s the only place I’ve ever seen it on a restaurant menu. (Sadly, or more likely happily, the restaurant known for it closed in 2014.)

But yes, classifying cider doughnuts as weird is, well, weird.

1 Like

Just got around to checking the cited Buzzfeed article, and noticed that they used a different CCBOT picture, one than may actually have been taken in PA. I don’t know why PenLiive chose to use my pic. Maybe they thought it was a prettier plateful :wink:

1 Like

Oh good lord, yeah, black tap still has crazy lines for those diabetes in a glass concoctions that tourists -and I’m sure plenty of locals- still want. How does anyone above the age of five think that’s a good idea?

2 Likes

Okay, Hoosier girl has to clarify that the Manhattan roast beef is an open faced roast beef with mashed potatoes…covered with gravy, because that’s what you do with open faced sandwiches. It’s normal diner fare lots of places, but I wouldn’t call it weird, nor an Indiana thing.

The sugar cream pie doesn’t go ON the sandwich…it’s dessert. That one is pretty uniquely Indiana…I’ve never seen it anywhere else. It’s also delicious … not weird.

Most buzzfeed listicles are apparently compiled from the input of people who have difficulty understanding the difference between their own rectum and a hole in the ground.

1 Like

Sounds like basic school cafeteria fare, more often made with roast turkey.

Its hometown diner fare, high on the list of confort foods (carbs!) and usually offered in beef or turkey. It can be really delicious if the components are well made. It’s cafeteria fare if everything is processed…but that goes for most dishes.

But the point is not only is it not weird (ive seen it on menus across the US) but there’s nothing about it at all that ties it uniquely to Indiana.

1 Like

The odd places are the locales that add a top piece of bread to what by law should be an open faced sandwich :sandwich:
:smiley:

1 Like