What's for Lunch 2019

Last lunches in Lyon.

Lyonnaise sausage with pistachio

Veal head (mostly fat and skin). Slow-cooked and served with a sauce. Lyonnaise love this kind of things (head, feet, offal etc).

It’s a one-man show here. The smallest buchon with little character and personality. Without the plaques I wouldn’t have guessed it’s a real traditional buchon.

My table

A regular directly in front of me.

I was first to arrive again. The small kitchen back there where I could watch the cook’s almost every move. I think the restaurant used to be part of a shop. They partitioned it and added the kitchen and toilet (directly behind the man in another photo above). The toilet seems out of place but everything is so cramp in here. A few more tables behind me and that’s it. And the tables are so small and so close it’s not pleasant to see strangers’ every pore and hair.

There are 3 markets within walking distance from my lodging where I got stuff for my own lunches and dinners.

Brawn and pâté from the poultry/butcher stands.

So many cheese stands at the market it’s amazing.

Mushrooms and Lyonnaise sausages to take home

This is what 100gr of dried morels look like. I also got a Bresse chicken which lasted 2 meals. I left the stock for the flat owner to use. He’s a good home cook and we discussed how to make good use of it.

Now you know why any restaurant meal containing morels and/or Bresse chicken is very expensive…

7 Likes

But yet, indulgences should always be a choice we have…

2 Likes

I love living vicariously through your posts! I have never been to Lyon, your view of it is so charming (although potentially not vegetarian friendly :joy:)

1 Like

Lyon is France’s 3rd largest city and the sheer amounts of places to eat are mind-boggling. There’s something for every taste and budget. Also, seems every other eatery is either Lebanese or “Indian”.

Paris is not for me. Lyon and smaller towns in the region are my style.

More pics when I have time to put them together.

5 Likes

I love Paris. As well as other parts of France.

I know you do. I was speaking only for myself, as in if it boils down to those 2 specific places.

Some pages on the Lyon-Rhone-Alpes region from my brilliant Culinaria France book. Unfortunately the original publisher (Könemann) no longer exists. Would like to have a few more but many people want to hold on to theirs or costs too much to ship from elsewhere.

3 Likes

I always abstain from meat and alcohol for 2 weeks after a holiday. Have been eating lots of seafood and vegs. But never leeks. These are for the partner.

This more my style. No leeks, spring onions or garlic chives. Garden chives are all I can tolerate.

4 Likes

Shared a couple small pizzas with friends in downtown St. Petersburg Saturday afternoon before a wedding. Interesting place called Oak & Stone. They have a beer wall (56 beers on tap) and you are given a wristband that will turn on the tap. You can pour as much or as little as you want from any tap and it records the amount. When you turn in the wristband it downloads the info to your bill

I had a Belgian Tripel which was quite tasty

5 Likes

Cool concept and a fantastic variety of taps. Don’t some people make a mess pouring their own beers?

I don’t know why but in Hong Kong, when it was still a craft beer wasteland, I used to sit at the bar and watched how they tapped… not professional at all. It used to get on my nerves how someone poured or tapped a beer, or used the wrong glassware. Now I no longer care :beers: :triumph:

1 Like

I ate half next to the kitchen sink, the other half went into some food.

Broke the tip of the knife this morning. The first oyster was stubborn. Those are 2 “pearls” in 2 different oysters.

Never cooked oysters before, such sacrilege. Well, as soon as the scrambled eggs were done I turned off the gas and chucked the oysters in. So no really cooking them.

A lot of oysters

My meat and alcohol abstinence will end on Tuesday.

5 Likes

There is a perforated stainless drain board under the taps with built in glass rinsing stations which creeps my wife out

going through a breakup and i wanted some old school little kid comfort food. Grilled cheese with yes american cheese, and peaches and cottage cheese.

9 Likes

It’s tough, good that you have decided to treat yourself.

1 Like

That is just you need, and if you need it again tomorrow, make it again! The sun will be out today and shine upon you!:sunglasses:

1 Like

Looks good, Zoey. Face it. It’s the only way to get through.

I loose appetite even under stress. Can’t eat or do anything when enduring emotional hardship. It takes everything out of me.

Lunches this week:

Giant beans and chorizo

A typical light meal in north Germany. Scrambled eggs with herring and bread. Some greens alongside because you know, health.

4 Likes

Some cacio e pepe. Not really authentic as I used Korean noodles and parmigiano reggiano instead of pecorino. And some asparagus.

8 Likes

Authentic Schmauthentic! :grin:

2 Likes

I agree. If it’s good, it’s good.

3 Likes

Zoey I hope you find comfort where ever you find it.

2 Likes

Lunches of smoked fish.

Almost June and not bbq weather. Nothing but cold, wet and windy. Asparagus cooked in cream instead of grilled on the Weber outside.

I have lots of Rosette de Lyon (the sausage in the photo) laying round so I used it. I dropped the poached eggs in the middle of transfering them to the plate.

These were posted on the smoked eel thread a couple of weeks back.

7 Likes