What's for Lunch 2018

Boat noodles.

5 Likes

Did a big “fry-up” today. The fat kept us full longer so dinner was snacks and wine.

Potato “puffs”.

Smoked herring, hot-smoked salmon bellies, fried assorted fresh roe.

Apple slices were cooked until soft. Grated horseradish in the crème fraîche.

Based on the original mac and cheese called alpine macaroni, a typical simple meal from Switzerland.

I used almost all the cheese. The chunks amongst the pasta are waxy potatoes. This meal is served with applesauce/compote alongside, the way it’s done in Switzerland.

2 Likes

Was in a hurry yesterday and forgot to post these…

Austria meets Scotland?

Sauerkraut, crisp-fried smoked sausage, potato farls. All from leftover bits.

2 Likes

Just 15cm / 6 inch of snow and 3ºC / 37ºF, the whole transport system in Paris was down. Trains stopped running and drivers were not advised to use their cars. Quite ridiculous - chaos à la française. DH was not going to work. I made some waffle for both of us, accompanied with home-made chocolate sauce, chantilly and salty butter caramel, and cups of South African Bourbon rouge tea to keep us warm. It was supposedly to be breakfast, but when I finished the preparation, it was already 2 pm.

5 Likes

Btw, in the previous post it was supposed to be Ireland and not Scotland.

I said wouldn’t want to make anything remotely Korean until at least summer. Well, well, well… I guess summer is here.

Rice sticks 2 ways.

Never once saw this in my 2 weeks in Korea. This version precedes the now popular version with red sauce and fish cakes. There should be meat in this but I didn’t want any.

I read somewhere it’s the most popular street food snack in Korea. I believe this claim to be true. It’s absolutely everywhere. This version came into existence after the arrival of chillies and gochujang.

The assorted fish cakes/balls were cooked first to obtain a fishy broth.

In Vienna it’s called “Butterschnitzel”, everywhere else it’s meatballs and mash.

Some greens because you know, health.

Maatjes herring with beetroot potatoes and confit yolk.

4 Likes

And keep in mind, Lunar New Year is coming up this weekend so you have yet another reason to eat Korean food to your heart’s content! The duk (rice cake) dishes look very appealing!

1 Like

Near H’s office, he got many good bakeries, we tested an Alsatian for baguettes, crispy and soft, not bad. He bought home a bigger bread, it was good but old, quite hard already the first day , second day we used it for soup, third day, uneatable. So pain perdu for a late breakfast and lunch today. With melting butter and maple syrup, fantastic.

2 Likes

Naf, I don’t mind you adding the post to another thread but leave the original here. It was my lunch.

It’s not only the Chinese and Vietnamese who have the same New Year. I did some research and learnt these are some of the typical Korean New Year dishes. They are not hard to make. There’s more to come in the coming days as we can’t eat everything in a day.

Rice cake soup and dumpling soup are the most iconic Korean NY dishes so I had to make them. I used a big disk of beef shin for the broth, which looked almost clear after filtering to remove floating bits. The broth is super beefy, though. I used some shreds of the shin meat for decoration.

The Korean potato noodles were greenish/blueish before cooking. Sliced smoked tofu to replace meat.

A platter of stuff.

Based on a dish called Gujeolpan, like in the cookery book next to the plate. I used what I have so this is what it looks like, without a wooden plate with sections. Fun to eat. When I go to Korea again I must look up where to eat this meal. It’s not something one can find in most restaurants.

From left to right: chives, enoki mushrooms, daikon cress, shimeji mushrooms, Hokkaido squash, smoked tofu, salmon roe, chard ribs. The rounds in the middle are pancakes. I have Peking pancakes to use up.

Also, my usual camera has stopped working today due to some error. I had to use my holiday camera which is a different system and the lens is very different as well. Not very happy about it! A replacement costs 1400 euros (a Nikon body only)!

4 Likes

For lunch, I am going to make the same beet, apple and roast butternut squash except I roast the butternut squash ahead of time fo 25 minutes, then added

the beets for another 6 minutes. with EVOO, S/P . Then, I added the cubed apples, baby arugula and vinagrette. The last time I took pictures, it did not show the beets etc. So, I took pictures before I layered the arugula and feta cheese. There is about 1/4 cup or less of beet juice left from the package of beets I wander if I should add it? Lunch is still 2h away., so I am posting these for suggestion. I do have some mandarin orange (both canned and fresh) but never do I mix fruits in my salad.
Will also have some of my home made spring rolls and fry some calamari when ready for lunch. The guests did not wake up till after noon time, so breakfast was kind of late.

6 Likes

Red squid with leek, green chilis and Thai basil tartines as Sunday lunch - a big hit.

3 Likes

Here is the spring roll taken from the freezer. My son and his guests were not too hungry, not after late breakfast they want to go shopping , so they ask me not to cook the calamari util tonight. Just have 12 spring rolls. 3 per person. The dip is soy sauce, cider vinegar, a little splash of the pinoy spice, garlic , tabasco , and freshly crushed pepper. I also offered some Le Choy Sweet and Sour sauce as alternative. Clearly, the former is what is favored. That and the butternut squash and beets salad is enough. I added the beet juice to the salad as the guest likes the taste of the juice.

7 Likes

Picture # 8 is more like the Chinese Haam Sui Gok: Haam sui gok are made with a glutinous rice dough. Deep-fried, they come out blistered and crispy on the outside with a chewy, lightly doughy layer underneath. Fillings range from savory pork and sausage to coconut or sweet bean paste.

I looked up Ham sui gok. Looks nice!

I was not pleased with the photos of Korean new year noodles and soups last week so this weekend I made them again. Still learning how to use my travel camera which is also new.

Shredded the shin meat and made the broth again. I added egg white to the rice cakes this time. Much better. Decided to arrange the extra bits on the side. Much better again.

Korean seafood dumplings in beef shin broth.

Shredded meat in the marrow bone that was used to make the broth.

All the home-made bits together with the soups.

My favourite Korean soup/stew, “Doenjang Jjigae”. It has meat and clams, tofu and some vegs. Fermented soya bean paste gives the stew a distinct taste. The original photos didn’t turn out well and this is leftover. Have to make it again with white tofu.

Still not pleased with photo of the noodles. They were yummy, though. Leftover ribs became lunch. Still so rich as the first time.

Fish bowls for 2. The partner doesn’t like oysters so all 12 were for me. In this bowl: quinoa, red cabbage kinchi, maatjes herring, pickled daikon, tamari-sesame oil marinated raw tuna, samphire. In the middle are salmon roe, 4 oysters and confit yolk.

We swapped half way. In this bowl: buckwheat, confit yolks, salmon roe, pickled daikon, bean shoot kimchi, maatjes herring, raw tuna (tamari and sesame oil marinated).

2 Likes

I specifically like the ones fried without sesame seeds with savory pork filling rather than the bean filling or other sweet fillings.
The Asian stores have them for around .60 cents each
Pretty reasonable
Here are different pictures
ham sui gok - Bing images

Perfect day here for some pork schnitzel … eaten “standing over the stove”, ala Mariacarmen while cooking curry pork chops for dinner :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Another pork lunch today … this one for DH
it was almost better than mine

3 Likes

I have been meaning to make meatless “schnitzel” for weeks now. Making it tomorrow and hoping it will turn out.

From last weekend:

Maatjes herring with beetroot and egg. A very typical thing to eat in north of Germany. Often with (mashed) potatoes alongside.

This dish is not photogenic due to the only colour in it, Gochujang. I used prawns and seaweed to make a broth first.

A favourite in my house: home-made Austrian button dumplings with cheese. This time I fried the Tyrolean Speck to a crisp. So good! Apple compote alongside. I had French sheep’s cheese and used that. Half the block disappeared in the dumplings like it was nothing so I left the rest of the cheese next to the pan. If I put it all in the dumplings would turn into an ugly, unrecognisable mess.

Don’t like baking and sugar but saw this in an Austrian food mag I was reading and thought I’d give it a go. Had all the ingredients in the house anyway and my partner would appreciate these little cakes with coffee. I used only a table spoon of sugar. There’s also espresso powder, kumquat chunks, almond meal, flour, and ground pistachio in the mix.

3 Likes

Pho for lunch, with broth and sliced ribeye from the freezer.

6 Likes