What's for Lunch 2017

Leftover beef rendang from Monday night. I’ll go pick a handful of snow peas to go with it.

2 Likes

Beautiful shiso leaf and mackerel tempura. Bento lunch including rice, miso soup, potato salad and pickled, $5.25!

3 Likes

Diced potatoes fried crispy in buffalo butter, then topped with two eggs. One yolk broke. Wah.

Tasty nonetheless.

4 Likes

Potatoes look good. I give the hardened yolk to the partner :smiling_imp:

Bookwich, very nice. I don’t usually order tempura but if it’s light and fluffy… yes!

Just hard boiled eggs with some quark, chives, seasoning. Topped with grated salt-cured yolks.

The whole thing.

Australian and Swiss natives.

I like my chocolate paste coarse.

Make a batch sometimes. We finish the entire pot straight away anyway.

4 Likes

(REPOST) A snapper for lunch, with fennel seeds, egg plants cooked with red onion and mint. Ozzy camembert followed.

1 Like

I hit the gym and swimming pool 5 days a week, me thinks this is enough protein for tomorrow.

How I ate it. Got a kilo of roe yesterday, half of it went in this.

More protein. The meat became dinner.

I love the sea and the hills (as long as it’s empty and not so hot).

1 Like

Chicken satay, homemade peanut sauce, served over shredded lettuce, carrots, and celery.

4 Likes

Smoked breast brought back from Hungary, next to my own cured goose breasts to see the difference in colours and texture.

From left to right: smoked, soft and smokey.

After 3 weeks. Hard like jerky. It’s nice with a beer.

After 2 weeks. Less hard. Next time I shall try 1.5 weeks.

It’s cold in my kitchen, perfect for drying things. In this photo is the “jerky” breast. I used Greek oregano after the salt was removed. In the curing salt there was finely chopped dried juniper berries. Next time will use only that.

Loosely based on Austrian dumplings with meats (Speck and smokey sausages). I also threw in lots of chopped goose meats in pics above. Fried in goose fat.

My own dumplings

4 Likes

We hit up the last day of the Los Angeles Roberta’s pizza pop up. This was, outside of Italy, the best pizza we have had.

Margarita and Bee Sting. The pic is the Bee Sting, spicy soppressata and honey, a combo that worked perfectly!!

7 Likes

Nice!! Roberta’s is fantastic pizza- i haven’t tried the bee sting (odds are it’s weird without the meat) but their crust with perfect blisters is what makes it for me. That margarita is my favorite

1 Like

I’m going to miss Roberta’s. But they are doing a pop-up at The Rose in Venice on Feb. 20, and a yet unannounced date at Salazar in (?) Highland Park.

1 Like

Excellent Mexican food at Taqueria Los Anaya on Adams Blvd.

Tortilla soup, al pastor taco, potato and manchengo cheese taquitos, chicken enchiladas, and Vera Cruz-style grilled fish.

3 Likes

I sure wish I had had more Roberta’s before they were gone. But, I think the pop-up was pretty successful, so hopefully they will come back. Four of us split four pies…and we all said the only thing wrong with our order was that we did not get 8 pies. We have two mushroom haters in the group (me being one), but next time I will try all the pies just hold the shrooms! DH is pretty sure we should remove our backyard spa and put in a wood burning oven and some seating. We shall see.

3 Likes

Really lousy weather this weekend. Dark as night (almost) in the middle of the day. The flash has ruined the photos but at least you have an idea what the food looks like.

As Turkey is on my list I want to have a Turkish-esq breakfast for lunch. It’s great that we have a big community of Turks and Moroccans here, and a visit to their supermarkets is a lot of fun as I have mostly no idea how to use many ingredients.

Turks eat a huge breakfast. They have a bit of everything, enough to fit the entire table. I think they don’t eat a massive dinner so breakfast is a big meal which they really take the time to enjoy.

Turks eat a lot of bread.

Turks eat a lot of cheese! Mostly as part of breakfast. This cheese is quite salty but OK alongside a salad.

Turkish clotted cream with honey. So good. My favourite.

Soft fried eggs with spicy sausages. I also wanted to make Turkish scrambled eggs but thought it would be too much food. It was.

Baked sheep’s cheese with tomatoes. My second favourite.

A couple of hours later we had Chinese tea with Turkish pastries. It got a bit brighter by now, I still needed to change exposure to +2 for these shots.

Drank so much tea with these honey drenched pastries.

2 Likes

Made a big batch of beetroot dumplings the other day so well, I’ve been eating them.

Grated 2 cured yolks and mixed well.

Purple chicory lost its colour on contact with heat. Meat bits are smoked goose breast. Fat part had melted and caramelised the chicory.

Beetroot goes well with goat’s cheese, I have Turkish cheese so I use that. Works just as well.

With hard boiled eggs soaked in water I used to boil beetroots. Forgot about about them til 2 days later. The colour has reached the yolk.

5 Likes

With my own chocolate paste (see upthread).

Love smoked fish. Goes well with rye sourdough.

North Sea shrimps (I prefer them with shell and head intact but they are not ready yet. Soon.)

At first I wanted to make it Moroccan, but then I added Turkish cheese.

4 Likes

Roe for lunch.

Dusted with potato starch then pan-fried.

Seaweed

Has several names in Germany depending on the regions. In the north it’s “Frikadellen”, in Denmarkt it’s “Frikadeller”. Austria and many other European countries have their own versions but some basic ingredients remain the same. Most often served with boiled potatoes. Here I have a simple potato salad and Sauerkraut. We like it sour with something meaty.

Dutch food. Broodje Bal just means “little bread/roll with meatball”. You won’t see it eaten like this that’s because I like it my way. Drizzled with more gravy later.

Grated horseradish again for a sinus hit.

2 Likes

Got invited to a wedding in Cherating on the East coast of Malaysia yesterday. Left to right in the pic.
Veg pickles, buffalo curry, chicken curry, stewed melon and dried anchovies. Out if shot was coconut rica and also pandan rice. All delicious.

4 Likes

I made a tasty Manhattan clam chowder today. I guess it wasn’t a true chowder because I omitted the potatoes to cut the carbs. Delish just the same!

2 Likes