What's for Dinner #9, 5/2016 - the "Don't Cast a Clout" edition

I have never tried the regular alexia fries-and from your comments doubt i will- but i have to say the sweet potato puffs (aka sweet potato tater tots!!!) are totally amazing. They just need a bit of salt

2 Likes

Russ and daughters at the jewish museum for brunch- mom was disappointed it was vegetarian chopped liver on the menu (they are kosher) so she went with the smoked whitefish and baked salmon salad on a bialy, i had the silky smooth borscht with a bialy.

For dinner we picked up middle eastern food at nish nush- we shared the falafel platter, and ordered a large side of the fabulous hummus that we used some raw veggies to scoop up. Split the large slice of cinnamon babka from russ and daughters for dessert. She leaves early in the morning, but we had a blast and she has a bunch of bagels and a few knish packed to share with family back in CA.

7 Likes

Breaking in a new grill and decided to get a baking stone for it. So tonight was pizza on the grill. Fresh tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil. Not bad for the first test. Bottom of the pizza got a decent bit of char on the bottom crust.

7 Likes

Wow! Pizzaliciousness!!!

OK. Gotta ask. Whatā€™s vegetarian liver?

2 Likes

Dinner at Harters Hall features lamb. Specifically a boned breast of lamb. Itā€™s smeared with olive oil, rosemary, thyme and garlic and then rolled up. It poaches for three hours in chicken stock and then cools. Just before dinner, itā€™s cut into thickish rounds and fried to crisp it up. Thereā€™ll be mint sauce to accompany, of course. And Jersey Royals and peas.

6 Likes

Thanks! They really were good - I just wish I didnā€™t have to endure a kitchen full of smoke to get them looking like that. Hopefully in just a couple of short months, weā€™ll have an outdoors and a grill, not to mention a hood that vents to the outside - no more smoky house!!!

I see my husbandā€™s feet also made an appearance in these photos. He claims he made a special effort to omit them this time! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Toad-in-the-hole is indeed inside bread - but you flip the bread - and the yolk is cooked - I make these too, but what I meant was Egg-in-a-blanket is when you cut a big hole in the bread and let the egg just fry until crispy and donā€™t flip - much better!

1 Like

We had the most wonderful last four days - and from what I see above, you all did as well. We drove to my brotherā€™s for the holiday - amazing weather - we sunbathed, ate, swam, ate, laughed, ate and to top it off saw a great basketball game when we got home! Curry is hot - and I donā€™t mean the spice!

Tonight on the menu is some Chinese: Kimchi, Eggplant salad, Cucumber salad (latter two made with soy sauce, vinegar and sesame oil) to start and then entree of lemon chicken with rice and some steamed broccoli on the side.

2 Likes

i make them your way too. i still think of them as toad-in-the-holes.

1 Like

Yeah - truth is - I just call them crispy egg in bread turned over or not.

Their version was a purĆ©e of nuts, matzo, and onion. Iā€™ve also seen recipes where it is made with lentils and nuts, those are usually just referred to as vegetarian pate (instead of vegetarian chopped liver)

To be fair, itā€™s only his left toes '-D

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been in a bit of a funk, cooking-wise. The kitchen in our pad is challenging, to say the least, so I generally dread having to prepare anything more involved than throwing together a salad or maybe some pasta.

Weatherā€™s been crapola, so weā€™ve been shacked up at home catching up with The Americans. Bit of a case of cabin fever, if you ask me. Another reason weā€™re trying to eat at home for a few days is my momā€™s impending visit this week, which means going out a lot again :slight_smile:

Last night I threw together a ground beef / eggplant / zuke dish that resembled prison food when it was done; at least the addition of feta made it more palatable than it looked. Feh.

As for WFD ā€“ I scored a tiny chicken (just over 2 lbs.) that is currently roasting in the oven, just salted liberally and a few lemon pieces shoved inside.

On the side is the big-ass salad I never made yesterday, because the prison slop was plenty.
Mixed lettuces with juicy baby roma tomatoes and sautƩed oyster shrooms in a simple vinaigrette.

Iā€™m getting hungry as I type thisā€¦

ETA: the chickie & salad both came out quite well. At least the oven here worksā€¦

6 Likes

Interesting. In the UK, toad in the hole is a dish of sausages cooked in batter - http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5822/toad-in-the-hole-in-4-easy-steps

And very delicious it is too. You need lots of onion gravy with it.

2 Likes

Interesting indeed - I never know where these funny names come from - both the sausages and my egg in bread look nothing like a toad :smirk:

We have an Israeli restaurant in our area that makes vegetarian chopped liver but they use pureed eggplant. Iā€™m not an eggplant fan normally, but itā€™s pretty good.

Last post before May is over. Iā€™m between Lingua and Harters and we have almost the same weather year round. It remains crappy til sunday, probably. As long as itā€™s dark and stormy I donā€™t want to pick up the camera.

Today I made twice cooked pork belly with Chinese chives. Another dish was scrambled eggs with tomatoes. The latter is common all over China, and S.E. Asia (introduced by Chinese migrants most probably). The pork belly was really nice but I donā€™t see the point of Chinese chives. Had it several times in Chengdu but I never touched the spring onions or chives. At least the chives donā€™t reek and arenā€™t slimmy like spring onions, however.

Still have Bershire pork loin steaks but thatā€™s for tomorrow.

Never cast a clout til May be out.

2 Likes

Looks far better than Mexican prison food for sure.
Weather is worthless.

WFD: CSF Hake fillets from the F/V Captain Joe.
~ Fish Salad a la Papa from The North End Italian Cookbook by Marguerite DiMino Buonopane. More or less.

Fish Fillets poached in stock, then cooled. The cooked fish, cut into 2" squares and seasoned with S & P, is set on a platter of lettuce and assorted vegetables. This is topped with sliced almonds, minced garlic, thinly sliced sweet onion, and dry-cured black olives. Olive oil and lemon juice is then poured over all. Various marinated and pickled vegetables are scattered over the salad, then the platter is showered with minced parsley.

~ Additionally, weā€™ll serve garlic grated, smooshed tomato slices, crushed Gorgonzola, olive oil drizzled bruschetti.

5 Likes