What's for Dinner #84 - the National Food-A-Day Month Edition - August 2022

Let no one call me a slacker when it comes to food.

2 Likes

It’s hard work, but someone’s gotta do it :yum:

2 Likes

Those scallops are not going to eat themselves!

4 Likes

Right? If you ever need a helping hand (or mouth), holla. I might even do it for free.

PS: On second reading, I’m not sure about this reply taken out of context :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

6 Likes

What people do with their filthy minds is not my business.

6 Likes

Inspired by an idea in the Sahadi cookbook, last night I made a berbere-spiced salad of butterbeans, sungold and grape tomatoes, sweet onion, celery, banana pepper, parsley, and preserved lemon. Served on a bed of similarly dressed arugula. Potatoes were tosses in olive oil, berbere, and preserved lemon and roasted to go with. I didn’t use the berbere recipe in the Sahadi book, but rather made a hybrid of Bryant Terry’s recipe and the one in Mourad. Like the harissa blend from a few nights ago, I included some citric acid, which gives it a tang and means you can toss it with oil and not need any other acid. That way I can get a salad with tang but not a lot of liquid dressing pooling on the plate. Also great for roasting when you don’t want to add moisture.

23 Likes

That salad! It looks so flavorful and satisfying as a meal in itself.

4 Likes

Monday night’s veggie plate was eggplant baked in tomato sauce (leftover), potato salad dressed with olive oil and lemon juice, and corn on the cob.

22 Likes

I order cooked food. Since I’m a vegan, it’s easier that way than cooking on my own. Today it’s like this.

13 Likes

a maangchi recipe - yay!

1 Like

Dinner tonight is Poul Nan Sos (Haitian Chicken in Sauce) with mushroom rice pilaf via Food and Wine Magazine by Gregory Gourdet. This was hearty, but not in a way that makes you feel weighed down. We liked this a lot! Leftovers for dinner for the next couple nights, too.

23 Likes

That looks amazing!

1 Like

But you have many more options when cooking for yourself

3 Likes

Thank you! I just did a little write up for it over in the Cuisine of the Quarter thread too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Home late. I’m not fond of 10+ hour days.

I had picked up some ground lamb at Wegmans last weekend, so that made for an easy burger. Mixed some of the meat with ground sumac, dried mint and s/p and pan-fried in butter.

I schmeared some leftover tzaziki sauce on the bottom of a lightly toasted Brioche bun, then the burger, some excellent feta, some mixed lettuce leaves, top bun.

Potato chips alongside, because I couldn’t be arsed to do anything more.

23 Likes

Last night (of 6) in the country, No days under high 90s. Looking forward to fog tomorrow,

Chilis rellenos, fresh tomato sauce, crema; scorched zucchini, hot sauce, and of course more crema.

Like the Italian cookie, “ugly but good”.

22 Likes

It’s Taco Tuesday. Chicken thigh, seasoned with oregano, cumin, s&p, Hatch chile, onion, garlic, simmered in a little chicken broth, avocado, lime crema, cilantro. Muy caliente. Pinquetto beans. Margarita.
We had lightening, thunder, rain Saturday night/Sunday. Drizzly yesterday. The earth smells fresh and clean today.

24 Likes

Filet of wagyu beef on the grill. Hearts of romaine from the garden with sourdough croutons and homemade Caesar dressing.

21 Likes

Pan seared Barramundi with roasted Brussels sprouts and salad was what’s on the menu tonight

12 Likes

WFD tonight was Kinoko Gohan (Mushroom Rice). I added salmon so technically I guess it was Takikomi Gohan. .

Fresh shiitake mushrooms from Chinatown last week, finally using up the sushi rice I’ve had stocked for ages, but had to run out to buy salmon because I was wrong about there being a piece in the freezer

This was very flavorful.

23 Likes