What's for Dinner #84 - the National Food-A-Day Month Edition - August 2022

Is this essentially salmon larb? Looks and sounds delicious!

1 Like

Penne with Pesto - pesto made from lots of parsley, sage, olive oil, parmesan, lemon zest and ricotta. Served with some chopped walnuts for texture

12 Likes

Got back a response from TreeHouse. They said

“Thanks so much for reaching out – we want to assure our loyal Cain mayonnaise fans that the brand is alive and well. We’re working through some of the same supply chain constraints you may be hearing about which are affecting a range of industries. We realize it’s disappointing not to find a favorite item in stock, so please know we are actively making and shipping Cain mayo and hope to increase volume very soon.”

On a FB food group, someone else noted that they (TreeHouse) are getting Emails on a daily basis asking about Cain’s, so they know the demand is there.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing that interesting response. I had a faint recollection of TreeHouse buying Cain’s. I used to buy a Cain’s olive oil mayo that was nice for its price then couldn’t find that variety anymore. That’s when I learned that Cain’s had been bought. So I gave up on the brand several years ago.

I was making a joke about being under the thumb of Big Mayo, without knowing that it’s probably accurate. Oh, well.

2 Likes

Gf loves turkey sandwiches and kept talking about it yesterday for whatever reason so had turkey sandwiches for dinner. I do sometimes toast the inside of breads depending on the sandwich, but this time also added a thin layer of cheese when broiling the bottom. It was really good — you tasted the mustard more, and got some of that broiled/kind-of crispy cheese thing, but only just enough. Will be doing that again.

Tomato, Turkey, Cheddar, Pepperoncini, Little Gems, Mayonnaise, Dijon on Ciabatta

20 Likes

Trinidadian doubles for the COTQ were dinner last night. Served with cucumber and green mango chutneys.

20 Likes

I think you and I must read the same recipes on NYT. I have the fish larb recipe in my queue. This recipe did not have the essential rice powder coating the fish. I don’t have rice powder in da house right now but I do have rice flour and I’m wondering to myself if that’s an appropriate substitute. I don’t have jasmine rice, either which I could grind but I probably won’t have time to get that as we are leaving for vacation on Sunday and have many things to do.

BTW my herb mix was mint, cilantro, and basil. We’re having leftovers tonight but over rice noodles.

5 Likes

If you have rice you can make the rice powder yourself. I don’t think rice flour will provide the crunchy mouthfeel the toasted and pestled rice lends to the dish.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t use rice flour as-is, but you could try toasting it in a pan or in the microwave and see if it tastes any good!

1 Like

Dinner tonight is grilled pollack tacos with pico de gallo. Also used up the last of the spring mix to add some heft to the tacos.

19 Likes

Salmon, slow-roasted (275 convection) with soy, lemon and butter, over peppery FM arugula with green beans, everything dowsed with the roasting juices.

20 Likes

Caprese with TJ’s ciliegine, Wegmans roasted tomatoes, FM maters, avocado, basil, olive oil.

Also split 3 HOT Eyetalian snossidges from TJ’s (they really do have a nice kick!) – no pics cuz they looked like…snossidges :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

17 Likes

Haha - yes, I think similar recipes appeal to us :smile:

What prompted me to ask was the dressing.

I’ve had pretty amazing fried whole fish with essentially a larb dressing at one of my favorite spots here, and so my mind always goes there.

When I saw your pic and description, I was thinking that I could use either the salmon or fish fingers in my freezer to get to something similar!

(Fwiw I use basmati for toasted rice powder, because I stopped stocking jasmine - I just have sushi rice and basmati these days. Most powder is milled too fine for the desired outcome.)

4 Likes

I made oyster mushroom quesadillas with a tomato salad, Cuban black beans, and (sorta) esquites. The TJ’s “roasted corn” is an abomination. Think: lighter fluid. Everything else was good.

Garden raspberries and figs pilfered from never-harvesting neighbors for dessert. And bourbon in a bubble bath.

24 Likes

I haven’t bought that corn in several years, but that disappointing to hear! It used to be very good!

And those raspberries and figs…oh my! Glad they’re not going to waste!

3 Likes

I know! I bought it on so many positive reviews. Truly awful. Maybe it’s a bad batch?

Yikes! I bought a packet of their frozen esquites with some hope…

Best summery days are here! Dinner tonight was an all-timer for us this time of year:

Sourdough BLT’s with heirloom tomatoes and Red Sail lettuce from my garden
Local corn on the cob
Roasted beets also from the garden
PA Dutch-style cole slaw
august dinnah

17 Likes

Pad krapow gai - chicken stir fry with holy basil, with salad, rice, and a fried egg.

21 Likes

Oh, the good life, full of fun seems to be the ideal.

1 Like