What's For Dinner #83 - the I Scream, You Scream Edition - July 2022

Quick stir-fry in the wok with pork tenderloin, red pepper, carrots, snap peas, bean sprouts, corn, pineapple, ginger, garlic, chili and sauce made from soy sauce, rice wine, light brown sugar, corn starch, white wine vinegar - served over rice

14 Likes

Thank you very much :blush: I try to do justice to the chef’s hard work.

1 Like

@LindaWhit, my gosh, that looks wonderful. Found the YouTube video and wrote down everything he did. I am hoping to replicate this.

1 Like

Tostones. Used a new-to-me technique that involves two soaks in seasoned water before and between frying. Arroz con gandules from Charity Morgan’s Unbelievably Vegan. Creole “chicken” using the Daring chicken (original flavor) in my first non-grilling application. Everything delicious.

19 Likes

8 Likes

Those tostones look masterful.

1 Like

Tonight we made José Andres’ gazpacho with croutons, CI crab cakes with lemony remoulade, and sauteed summer squash. It was all really good but I overdid the salt in the crab cakes (CI doesn’t specify the amount and I forgot Old Bay also contains salt).

20 Likes

Made something up tonight. Pretty good; but needed a bit more oomph in the flavor dept.

Couple of b/s chicken breasts seasoned with s/p, and a bit of fresh thyme. Pan-seared in butter and olive oil, then added 1/2 cup white wine, 1/4 cup dry sherry, and 1 Tbsp sherry vinegar, with some thyme sprigs.

Let that simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes, then removed the lid and added a large handful of red grapes and a smaller one of Marcona almonds. Simmered some more, then removed the chicken, grapes and almonds to reduce the liquid. Mounted with some cold butter for a sauce; added the chicken, grapes, and almonds back in for a gentle reheating.

Served on egg noodles with steamed broccoli alongside.

Wine.

17 Likes

This looks awesome!

1 Like

Thank you! The new (to me) technique is a keeper. They were the best tostones I’ve ever eaten. Fluffier and lighter on the inside than the usual, with a delicate but very crisp exterior. Perfect.

5 Likes

Do you mind sharing the recipe?

1 Like

Those tostones look amazing. I was going to ask if you would mind sharing the recipe but @gcaggiano beat me to it.

1 Like

Duck confit (already cooked, Brome Lake from Farm Boy, 2 legs for $14.99 cdn) with black currant & ginger sauce

Tres Leches from last night’s take-out

14 Likes

Simple summer dinner here, though our weather is still not very summery in SF but i’m acting as if. BLTs on sourdough and COTC for me, off the cob for the BF. Big fat heirlooms were tasty.

19 Likes

For openers, fresh corn on the cob from the garden – harvest to table in under 7 minutes.

Followed by panko-crusted halibut fish tacos on a bed of home-grown cabbage. Garlic-lime crema and store-bought tortillas.

A margarita from scratch for the cook.

23 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was a spring roll noidle bowl. Summer on a plate.

15 Likes

And that gorgeous pottery. Swoon.

Love that you served the corn first. When the corn is really in around here I can eat three ears and just a slice of tomato or something just to break it up a little.

1 Like

Chickpeas are a favorite, for me, at this time of the year. It always cheers me that they are so easy to cook up and go with most anything. Last night they were combined with local tomatoes, store shallots, a drizzle of honey, oo, a dusting of Aleppo pepper , and local goats milk feta then roasted at 400F for 30 or so minutes.

19 Likes

Heaven! I serve COTC as a starter too but have never picked my own.

3 Likes