What's For Dinner #83 - the I Scream, You Scream Edition - July 2022

I think that’s the worst - not smelling and not wanting to taste anything when you’re sick. But it makes the first meal after recovery taste all the better - even if it’s just scrambled eggs. Hope you’re feeling better soon!

2 Likes

It’s a shame that hake is not more commonly eaten. I would absolutely mistake it for cod, it’s not over-fished, and it was inexpensive compared with other similar fish (at the Waltham MA Market Basket, it was $7/lb; I think cod loins [a term that makes me giggle - cod have loins?!] were $12/lb).

3 Likes

Enchiladas filled with a squash/mushroom mix, with tomatillo sauce. Mex rice. Instead of just serving black beans, I swerved to a black bean salad to use up more CSA/garden veggies and herbs.

24 Likes

Yup! Cusk is another more affordable fish that’s hard to tell from cod. We didn’t offer a choice, it was just “Fish & Chips” on the menu. If people asked we always told them. The most common question: “Is it haddock?”

2 Likes

Yes! I bought and prepared some a couple of weeks ago and then wondered why I didn’t get it more often.

1 Like

WFD was another NYC HO group dinner last night - an Egyptian feast cooked by just one guy, and lots of fun!

6 Likes

(post deleted by author)

feel better soon! that dish looks amazing. sorry you couldn’t enjoy!

had one last night, too!

1 Like

that polenta and shrimp dish looks phenomenal!

1 Like

Pork Larb

Your normal larb with some extra herbs, shallots, and dried fermented Thai chile mash on the plate.

20 Likes

Thank you, it was delicious, that’s why it got two Olés.

2 Likes

See Larb → want to eat Larb. Immediately!

8 Likes

Ever get one of those ideas in your head for dinner that even though you knew it wasn’t the right season, nor was it really what you wanted, but nothing else came to mind, and you had the damn chicken that was now defrosted and it HAD to be used so you just went with it because you knew you had the rest of the ingredients, and halfway through you ask yourself “What the hell were you thinking, you idiot?”

No? Huh. Well, that was me tonight.

Chicken Stroganoff to use up an onion, mushrooms, sour cream, and the defrosted chicken.

Served on egg noodles with peas and corn-off-the-cob alongside.

There was wine. And I have plenty of leftovers that’ll probably go into the freezer in small containers for very gentle reheating at a later date.

Oh yeah. The wine was poured at the halfway realization mark. So there’s wine with dinner, too.

17 Likes

Ya, I love larb — from the real deal ones I’ve had in Laos and Thailand, to Lapats’ duck version, to the ones I make.

One of my favorite easy dishes.

4 Likes

My neighbor friend invited us over for amazing Neapolitan -style pies and lemony kale salad. It was phenomenal. I overdid it but at least I had the good sense not to eat much earlier. No pics. :pizza:

15 Likes

IMG_3425

Redfish with Tony’s seasoning, oyster mushrooms, cucumber salad. No notes! All good.

17 Likes

I don’t know why it’s been so hard lately to post. I’m cooking! Anyway, this is pre-plating and post plating would’ve been prettier, but I start to feel self conscious about snapping pix when the food’s already on the table. I don’t typically plate for people but serve family style, so I’d have to be taking pictures while everyone is dishing. I digress.

Tonight’s dinner went over really well. All the picky and non picky crew were satisfied. I’d bought a bunch of dill and basil for 2 recipes that didn’t need it all, so this dinner was an attempt to use the rest rather than let it spoil. Lamb kebobs marinated in basil/evoo/garlic/oregano/lemon juice and grilled. Dill/sugar/vinegar cold pickles. Persian dill and lima (except edamame) rice with tadig! And proper baba ganouj, having charred 2 eggplants in the fire that I then grilled the kabobs over. Summer eating at its best.

21 Likes

BF took Boursin garlic & herb cooking cream (someone here recommended - sorry I can’t remember who!) and blended it into a little sauteed zucchini with fresh thyme/rosemary, parm, extra garlic, and then mixed into leftover fresh egg noodles. Salad with a warm vinaigrette and slivered salami. I’m not sure i like that Boursin cooking cream any more than I like just the regular Boursin cheese spread, but it was all pretty tasty.

20 Likes

Chicken-zucchini meatballs over bucatini with freshly made pesto.

Not shown are the hearts of romaine with homemade Caesar dressing, and a dessert of buttermilk-blueberry cake.

Zuccs, basil, romaine and berries from the garden.

22 Likes