What's For Dinner #83 - the I Scream, You Scream Edition - July 2022

Fettuccine with poached cod (in a mixture of olive oil, pasta water, scallions and capers) with oven-roasted grape tomatoes and a lot of parsley

13 Likes

We DoorDashed tacos in tonight. Hit the spot even if they were lukewarm.

16 Likes

Picked up another dozen ears of local corn at my farm stand today. The drought is definitely affecting the size. But still pretty good.

Two small ones were nuked for 4 minutes in-husk, then stripped of the husk and silk. The rest will be stripped from their cobs for freezing for wintertime meals and the cobs will be used for yet more corn stock.

Mozzarella Bacon Cheeseburger on a lightly toasted Brioche bun with ketchup on the bottom, and homemade crispy dark potato chips leftover from a company lunch this past Thursday.

Wine. And A/C. Thank goodness.

22 Likes

Boneless pork chops seared and then simmered in a beer and bbq sauce, spicy Moroccan carrots. Mixed greens and romaine salad with snap peas, avocado, baby bell, red onion, honey mustard dressing. G&T and negroni.

18 Likes

Leftover lamb kebabs with the works.

18 Likes
4 Likes

Too soon for another chicken cutlet? This time with arroz con gandules as I am potato-ed out.

Whiskey Ginger (Fever Tree refreshingly light ginger beer) to drink.

21 Likes

You’re having a great night!

2 Likes

Every night is a great night is you have a bottle of gin.

5 Likes

My great nights are too frequent!

3 Likes

Yeah, mine too. Somebody has to do it.

3 Likes

To those who enjoy breakfast for dinner, cheers to you my friend.

16 Likes

I’m giving this a thumbs up . Thawed out a package of red snapper . Cut into pieces. Rick Bayless batter recipe. Sort of . I don’t measure . Baja fish tacos. With potato salad . Beat the heat .75 . 1030 pm . 20 degrees cooler. Night time in Mt Shasta. Cheers .

22 Likes

It’s never too soon for another chicken cutlet.

4 Likes

Needed to pivot from my planned dinner to something quick, with ingredients that we had on hand. So pasta and rosé night it was. Zucchini and cherry tomato spaghetti, with a zing from dried Aleppo pepper flakes.

Forgot to take a picture of the rosé. Lovely to sip on a hot evening.

20 Likes

Those serving plates!

1 Like

Last night’s dinner was fettuccine with homemade marinara sauce and steamed kohlrabi greens and waxed beans on the side.

17 Likes

Sister and I made two versions of Vietnamese garlic noodles to see which we liked better: she followed a Kenji recipe (on the right), and I made my go-to (left). Kenji’s called for TWENTY CLOVES OF GARLIC. She cut the recipe in half, so only 10, but still - TOO MUCH. Tasted sharp and bitter. First time Kenji has let us down! Also, she picked up Costco pre-cooked/sous-vided pork belly, just gets seared in a pan. Super salty, with a texture like ham. Would not buy again. I also made bok choy with Maggi seasoning, oyster sauce, a little brown sugar.

15 Likes

oh MY! that looks crazy good! what recipe did you follow, loosely or not, please?

1 Like

Thanks! It was from a batch from the freezer. I followed the recipe from Pok Pok: Food and Stories from the Streets, Homes, and Roadside Restaurants of Thailand by Andy Ricker and JJ Goode. To paraphrase: make a paste of 1oz cilantro roots, 1oz galangal, 1tb white peppercorn, 1.25 oz garlic, and 0.25c five spice powder. Fry 2 skin on, bone-in pork shanks in oil in a large pot, and set aside, and then fry paste in the pot with oil as well. Then add 5 quarts of water, the pork shanks, 1.25c Thai thin soy sauce. 0.5c Thai black soy sauce, 0.75c Thai oyster sauce, 1/3c Shaoxing wine, 4.5oz palm sugar, 2tb Milo powder, a piece of galangal, 5 or 6 cilantro roots, 6 pandan leaves tied, 1 quartered onion, and a whole unpeeled garlic head. Simmer for 4 hours until pork is starting to fall apart. To serve, make a platter with jasmine rice, hard boiled egg, and pickled mustard greens. Both the (peeled) egg and mustard greens can be simmered in the sauce for awhile. For the dipping sauce (a little different from book) I just mashed up some garlic and Thai chilis in a mortar and added a tsp of sugar and 1/3 cup of white vinegar. The spicy acidic garlicky sauce goes well with the rich pork. Used the recipe for dipping sauce from Hot Thai Kitchen: https://hot-thai-kitchen.com/kao-ka-moo-braised-pork-leg/

3 Likes