What's For Dinner #83 - the I Scream, You Scream Edition - July 2022

In this version, I think the pasta is supposed to be mushy. Here’s how NYT describes the texture, after instructing one to cook it for 2 minutes past al dente:

…until swoony and soft all the way through.

I tend to ignore directions I don’t like :slight_smile: When we do blue box mac & cheese, the directions say to cook the pasta for 8 minutes. If I wanted baby food, I would just crack a can of Gerber’s. I don’t think we ever cook it for more than 5-6 min.

5 Likes

I haven’t tried it for such a pasta dish but in another dish where the crispy texture was more important. It would definitely also work for this pasta dish but with the creamy sauce the zucchini most likely wouldn’t stay crispy for a long time

2 Likes

I didn’t cook it that far either. I tend to ignore a lot of things which don’t sound appetizing.

2 Likes

Tonight was quick and easy - meatballs (Sam’s, fresh) simmered in jarred organic marinara and served over angel hair, with garden kale on the side. The meatballs were dense and sausage-y - not at all what I expected from the ingredient list. I’ll stick to homemade or TJ’s party meatballs.

14 Likes

Tuna Cobb, using Benedictine Blue and Farm Boy Double-Smoked Bacon

16 Likes

Vietnamese rice noodle salad with shredded carrot, sliced tomato, cukes, corn, scallions, Serrano pepper, mint, basil, cilantro. Proteins were done in the air fryer (an impulse purchase by B a few years ago but we use it often enough to justify it) - shrimp and tofu, both marinaded in soy sauce/chili sauce. Tofu pressed and coated with cornstarch. Satisfying meal on a beautifully warm day (I love heat and humidity but it’s been bone-dry since we’ve been home from vacation…our local farms could probably use some rain right about now).

Yet another yucky photo. I caught B mid-meal/bite. But he is very accommodating.

I surprised Spring Onion with a “burger cake” from a local joint a couple of days ago. He’s almost done with it. B and I took a bite - surprisingly not overly sweet.

22 Likes

So cute. Sweet

1 Like

I want this!

1 Like

A day gone awry. Tomorrow’s boneless, skin-on chicken breasts became today’s Hail Mary, pan roasted with oven fries. Five minutes of effort with not a veg in sight, despite a backyard full of them. We ate at 8:00 p.m… I guess most people would do take-out on a day like this. This is our homemade version: greasy, salty, hot … with ketchup.

23 Likes

Another riff on a Ming Tsai recipe, this is turkey chipotle meatballs with rice and a snap pea broth. I did my best to make it look pretty although it’s not pretty food.

18 Likes

Lazy Wednesday. It’s becoming a habit. But hey – it’s vacay after all.

Dinner was an Italian/French/Portuguese snacky affair: taleggio, raschera & coppa, marinated zukes & eggplant from the Italian market, bufflo mozz / avocado caprese, SALAD with mustard vinaigrette, and one of our Lisboa conservas - delectable robalo aka dorade. Lovely bread from a local Italian bakery. Pistachio & French chocolate ice cream for dessert.

22 Likes

Last night was bbq chicken.

Huh? I’m sorry? What? No I didn’t upload the wrong pic, I had BBQ chicken last night!!

Ground chicken, egg, grated pecorino romano and seasoning as the crust!!

Going into the oven 425 20 mins

Finished product! If you like Mc Rib this is for you!!! I liked the chicken crust, maybe try to make it crispier next time, but overall pretty dam good!

Next attempt will be Chicken Cordon Blu. Topped with ham, Swiss and some kind of bechamel sauce!

Yes, my son saw this on tic tok and asked to make it, honestly not too shabby!

19 Likes

Neat! Looks like whoever put this up on TikTok repurposed a Nigella Lawson recipe from 2012 - Meatzza. She uses a baking tin (and 3 T. of breadcrumbs to help bind), rather than freeform, but same idea.

2 Likes

Yeah, they gave the nutritional info after the video, so I assume the video was an Atkins, paleo etc. type diet dish. Trying to avoid carbs as I do, this is an excellent alternative. I bet the breadcrumbs would help, but then increase the carb load.

Probably - and I’m sure she wasn’t the first to publish this type of thing either! If you feel like it needs more to help bind it, I wonder if pulverized fried pork rinds would be the way to go?

2 Likes

I was thinking also of using a “vented” pizza pan I have with holes to allow for better air circulation. I’m wondering if that would help vs. a baking sheet.

1 Like

It certainly would help with air circulation - you might also consider (if feasible) forming the crust on something like the upper sheet of a broiling pan. Then you get air circulation and extra drainage for fats, which would help with crisping.

1 Like

I think full direct metal contact would help crisping vs a vented pan – I wonder if starting in a cast iron pan or griddle on the stovetop would help.

Once the base is done, it can be transferred to the vented pan or a rack on the sheet pan, topped, and finished. Or you can leave it in the cast iron pan and finish under the broiler.

Maybe more cheese too - like a frico on the bottom.

3 Likes

Only a few short years ago, I had a “city” studio apartment for work. Not only no AC, but top floor under the roof, giant south facing windows, and the window and “deck” door all on a single side. Because it was about 170 sq ft all told. Every day after work, I came home to 86 degrees inside, and with a fan running nonstop until morning, could only get it down to 81ish. What helped was to sit on the futon with a jar of pickles out of the fridge between my feet. I.e. sit like a yoga master, soles on jar. Seriously. Don’t knock it till you try it lol!!

6 Likes