What's For Dinner #83 - the I Scream, You Scream Edition - July 2022

Didn’t feel like grilling and we had a couple of lobster tails in the freezer, so I made Lobster Rolls. More of a “Connecticut style”, meaning no mayo, but cooked in butter with scallion, salt, cracked pepper, cayenne pepper, and paprika. Served on a split-top Brioche bun with homemade fries in cast iron. The meal was delicious and the meat was sweet, though I missed having the contents of the whole lobster.

A Beefeater Rocks to drink outside before cooking. Appropriate glassware though not exactly feeling patriotic lately.

28 Likes

Wild mushroom burger - simple ground chuck beef patty with soy sauce, salt and pepper, Topped with a sautéed wild mushroom mixture (chanterelle, shiitake, oyster with shallots, garlic, thyme and madeira wine)

22 Likes

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::star_struck:

1 Like

Loved those Gilroy Garlic festivals and the Stockton Asparagus festivals! Somewhere around here I’ve one or two of the festival cookbooks. That rib eye looks divine. How did it work out?

1 Like

I’ve got a Gilroy Garlic Festival Cookbook, too. I used to make the dragon’s dip at my Christmas party. Sour cream, cheddar, bacon, garlic, Worcestershire, green onion iirc. Pretty close to a Crack Dip I’ve been making lately.

Looks like a 2022 Gilroy Garlic Festival will happen this year, in 8 days, after a 3 year hiatus.

CARIBBEAN is our COTQ for this summer - come join us! CARIBBEAN - Summer 2022 (Jul-Sept) Cuisine of the Quarter

5 Likes

And KEBABS will be our DOTQ - a perfect choice for all those summer cookouts!

5 Likes

Cool. Once I’m back stateside there will be KEBABS on the menu!

1 Like

Fantastic

YUMMMMM!!! :yum: :kissing_heart: :yum: :kissing_heart: :yum:

1 Like

Now that our local jazz festival

is over I can pursue some other interests. Last night I made peanut soup adding the kale I got in my CSA last Thursday. Served with rice on the side and garnished with peanuts. Tonight I had a garden salad with a Korean style salad dressing from Maangchi’s website followed by Korean short ribs and rice.

15 Likes

A very gray day with off and on rain called for comfort food. So, I made a quarter batch of the mac and cheese with cheesy garlic bread crumbs from Chrissy Teigen’s Cravings. I also was in the mood for collard greens, so I braised a bunch with some toasted and deseeded chile morita and duck confit I found in the freezer. Really, really good! I kind of want to make ramen out of the remaining duck, greens, and pot liquor.

22 Likes

I made “smashroom” sandwiches with portabella mushrooms, to which I added balsamic caramelized red onions. I skipped the pesto as mine had gone bad (unfortunately applied it to the baguette top before realizing. We’ll call these tartines.) I did not follow the fussy cooking instructions, added TJ Umami powder as well as a Maggi and spicy smoked pepper mayo, and they were great.

Sides of creamy cucumber salad, FM yellow tomatoes with local goat cheese, and microgreens with tomato and vinaigrette.

20 Likes

Steamed yellowtail with ginger and soy, basmati+quinoa, sautéed bok choy with sesame oil and vinegar.

19 Likes

i forgot to post my toast to @gcaggiano ! cin-cin!

8 Likes

Leftover bbq pulled pork became tacos tonight, of course. Only thing missing was crema. BF’s got a little quesabirria action, almost.

and I’m still on the COTC train…

21 Likes

Chicken Diane and peas with tpstob. Salad of mixed greens, tomato, avocado, red onion, blue cheese, ranch dressing.

Chicken Diane and peas with tpstob. Salad of mixed greens, tomato, avocado, red onion, blue cheese, ranch dressing.

19 Likes

Road tripping for a few days. Staying in a cabin at the foot of the Cascade Mountains. The kitchen is fully equipped, as these things go. Still, most of our prep was done in advance. What we lack in variety we’ll make up for with volume.

Tonight was a beef, pork and chorizo chili with black beans (DH had his over hot dogs). On the side, NYT’s Hawaiian mac salad. I skipped the spuds and added peas and carrots. Otherwise, I followed the recipe, right down to the copious amount of mayo. Too much mayo for my taste, but somebody here liked it. It will get eaten, in any case.

Peas and carrots from the garden.

17 Likes

Looks great!

1 Like

Mushroom escabeche tacos following a recipe from Guerrilla Tacos by Wesley Avila and Richard Parks III. Used shiitakes and oyster mushrooms rather than the wild mushrooms in the recipe. Very good, would make again.

22 Likes