What's For Dinner #82 - June 2022 - the Scary Campfire Stories and Sticky S'Mores Month

Tonight’s dinner was an asparagus shrimp risotto. Tapenade was added near the end of the cooking time to give it a darker colour.

18 Likes

Used up the rest of some Easter lamb, the rest of a package of Rancho Gordo’s Royal Corona beans, some frozen chicken stock, some chicken gravy, and some baby red potatoes in this lamb, white bean and spinach stew.

The soaking/boiling/simmering bean liquid was also used, which had some sauteed onion, garlic, and celery in it during the long simmer during the day to get the beans tender. I added some dried rosemary and thyme and s/p and a good squeeze of tomato paste as it all simmered and reduced, then tossed in several handfuls of baby spinach at the end to wilt.

There was some garlic/parsley ciabatta bread and wine alongside.

21 Likes

We had a rez so no wait. Food is very good.

1 Like

Currently sitting outside in perfect weather having a martini of Bombay Gin, Lillet Blanc, and orange bitters. Will head inside to cook soon, which will be the current Sunday favorite: chicken, fresh mozz, and sautéed broccoli rabe on crusted seeded semolina.

Yesterday was the fifth anniversary of dad’s passing, and when it happened it was on Father’s Day. So this weekend wasn’t exactly joyous. Had to work today and was really happy to be there. Sometimes it feels like yesterday, other times it feels like another lifetime. Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there.

26 Likes

I’m sorry to hear about your father’s passing. And losing him on Father’s Day is the worst. I lost my own dear father 13 years ago - 8 years after my mother died - and I’m glad we had those 8 years together so I could get to know my dad a bit better. (My mom was the parent I was closer to when they were both alive.) Sending healing thoughts your way.

6 Likes

I went to friends’ house for an outdoor bday/father’s day brunch today with lots of bubbly, came home and napped, and woke up to this. BF pan fried polenta squares in butter and served them with the last of my meat sauce, with a really delicious lemony cuke salad on the side.

last night’s dinner at my sister’s - I made Balinese sticky glazed ribs (oven baked), she made Cook’s horseradish potato salad, and i made a thrown together cole slaw with red onion and Thai sweet chili sauce. All tasted much better than this crappy pic looks, although the ribs dried out some - i used baby backs instead of spare, my fault! - but the reduced marinade poured over them as we ate really helped.

24 Likes

it’s always difficult to lose a parent, but that’s really a tough one. sending a big hug to you.

4 Likes

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at Fiorentini in Rutherford, NJ, including truffled mushroom risotto; octopus; Chilean sea bass; cod; sweet pea fagottini with crab; burrata salad with asparagus and crispy prosciutto. It all went great with an excellent cabernet and red blend.

12 Likes

Happy Father’s Day to all you fathers and Happy Juneteenth to all of you who celebrate. Shrimp gumbo seemed appropriate. Served with boiled cauli rice and cabbage/carrot slaw.
Lovely day on the So. Oregon coast, looks like maybe, fingers crossed, summer will arrive on time.

22 Likes

So sorry about your foot! Glad to see you back here, dear Audrey…

dinner LOOKS like it would have been wonderful!

1 Like

we were there off-season (March, torrential rains) to Lisbon and there were no lines at all, and the food was great! A lot of Lisbon is touristy, but we were tourists! and it’s such a lovely city, reminds me so much of my own (SF).

2 Likes

perfect, all of it!

Made a little arugula, Nashville spicy chicken, cucumber and avacado salad with leftovers.

And cake for father.

23 Likes

Pan-roasted Copper River sockeye and the last of a never-ending Greek pasta salad.

20 Likes

Your never ending Greek salads always make my mouth water & my eyes smile!

2 Likes

Lol. We’ve eaten pasta salad every day for the last ten days. I cooked up a pound and a half of pasta, and chopped up many (but not all) of the veggies in advance. It was easy to throw together a fresh salad each night until almost everything was gone.

6 Likes

13 Likes

Or vice versa.

Pretty hard to ever think of you as lazy. Cdc (constant dining companion) is not so constant any more as he is working strange hours. Makes me appreciate the members who cook for one even more. Like you and Linda Whit. I cheat a lot. Waiting in the wings is a store bought chicken pot pie from the huge mennonite supermarket in telford pa. It is house made as was the other chicken pot pie I nabbed there. The Amish/Mennonite one with thick homemade eggs noodles and insanely delicious broth. Cdc and I managed to score a late lunch today at the best beloved Lansdale deli. This town worships this eatery and for good reason. We shared a cheese steak and an Italian hoagie so I might not be hungry again til July. We were clueless until I had cable installed. I offered the men lunch and they very respectfully declined. (hey that would be a great user name!!!) very nicely they said umm we get lunch at this place: https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=giuliano's+deli+lansdale&fr=yfp-t-s&fr2=p%3Afp%2Cm%3Asa%2Cct%3Asa%2Ckt%3Anone&ei=UTF-8&fp=1 the cable is long gone but now we know of this temple. You are the least laziest person I never met IRL, a human dynamo.

3 Likes

Dinner tonight is Soy Sauce and Butter Pasta with Shrimp and Shiitakes. I used buccatini per BF’s request. Very tasty and will make again at some point. I added some sugar snap peas that needed to be used up as well.

20 Likes