What's For Dinner #82 - June 2022 - the Scary Campfire Stories and Sticky S'Mores Month

Awesome work around especially since you are not grossed out by his vampire penchant.

1 Like

Tonight’s dinner for me is a couple of bowls of vegetable soup (no pictures). What makes it really good is the homemade corncob stock. Recently, every time we have corn on the cob at home I save the cobs and pressure cook them with water and save the stock. It is sooo flavourful, and takes a humdrum bowl of veg soup to an amazing height. I regret all the years I used to just gnaw and throw. I have issued a fatwa at home that all corn cobs shall be saved for my soup. I must look for soup or other recipes that highlight this ingredient, and I bet it would make excellent daal or even rasam. Suggestions welcome!

13 Likes

A pasta salad tonight. Tri-color rotini with turkey pepperoni, diced tomato, diced cucumber, sliced black olives. We add shredded mozzarella on ours. And have naan on the side. I used Copycat equivalents for the Salad Supreme Seasoning topping and the Italian Dressing.
Quite a bit of math involved since for about 6 main-dish servings I made a half recipe of the pasta/veggies mixture, a half-recipe of the Seasoning mix, and 3/4 of a half recipe (i.e., 3/8 recipe) of the dressing, which is plenty.

10 Likes

I got this idea from Linda Whit and if I have room in my chest freezer I love to boil the cobs in darkest winter. I use the broth in soups, stews, chicken ala king, chicken pot pies. Dreamy.

1 Like

Chinese sausage stir fry with pad thai noodles, sliced up omelet, lots of veggies. All courtesy of El BF. Topped with an egg roll from the Chinese restaurant nearby.

15 Likes

Half-and-half pizza and Greek pasta salad. Pepperoni and cheese for him. Kalamata olives, feta and sun-dried tomatoes for me. Crust is Lahey’s No Knead with partial whole wheat flour.

21 Likes

4:1 martini with Roku gin and an olive.

Sautéed shiitakes, broccolini and tomato with Kewpie sesame dressing, sous vide NY strip with chimichurri, frozen fries.

21 Likes

Roku is one of my favorite gins these days — so smoooove :yum:

2 Likes

It’s good!

Our first meal in Lisbon… in 2… maybe 3 parts :grimacing:

First up: octopus & potato salad with cilantro at the popular Timeout Market. We also tried croquetas I didn’t like. I don’t think we’ll be back - too touristy. But before leaving, we grabbed ourselves a 6-pack of pasteis de nata!

Second part: a recommendation from our Airbnb hosts for a neighborhood joint frequented by locals. Very good sautéed shrooms with cilantro, chouriço, and the weirdest tomato salad I’ve ever had. It wasn’t so much the flavor as the way the tomatoes were cut. I’ve honestly never thought of cutting tomatoes into batons, but here we are :smiley:

Tried the ginjinha and white port for digestives - when in Lisbon :wink:

17 Likes

BF requested a different cocktail tonight, and so I went with a blackberry-basil smash. Aside from the title ingredients, there’s also Bacardi, simple syrup, lime juice, club soda, and a Chambord floater.

There was Chinese takeout.

21 Likes

It is cool and breezy here in the 'burbs of Philly today but just gazing at this beverage is refreshing.

3 Likes

Roasty, roasty, freshy.

Dixie Fry oven-roasted BISO chicken thighs, augmented with paprika and a garlic herb mix.

Roasted yellow potatoes (tossed with olive oil, s/p, and a healthy pinch of the garlic herb mix), and halved Sweetie tomatoes with fresh mozz, slivered basil from my deck garden, and a dressing of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and freshly ground pepper.

Wine. And a chilly-willy night tonight (50°) and for the rest of the weekend.

23 Likes

You da’ man Greg!!! Fanfuckingtastic!!!

3 Likes

Tonight was another outdoor summer in the north east dinner. Grilled steak - chicken - sausage kabobs with corn on the cob - sautéed broccoli - oh and (frozen) pierogies!!

19 Likes

Looks good! What is the corn and orzo thing?

1 Like

Actually I forgot to mention my daughter brought that and that is exactly what it is. Some “corn orzo” thing she made, it was flavorful but dry.

1 Like

I love a blank slate. Could become anything!

What a lovely glass!

2 Likes

Looks perfect. Same weather here Usually Father’s Day weekend is stifling hot.