What's For Dinner #82 - June 2022 - the Scary Campfire Stories and Sticky S'Mores Month

Thanks, I like it too, it’s a Riedel Nick and Nora.

2 Likes

Swap you on weather - forecast is high 90’s to over 100 the next 3 days in MN.

1 Like

My guess is they used a mandoline for expediency.

Ummm…no. LOL I’m OK with the cooler weather. Just unexpected 2 days before summer starts.

1 Like

That would be the only reason I could think of.

2 Likes

small h’s international salad bar buffet! Mushroom and sour cream salad (Finland), kimchi tuna salad (Korea), caprese salad with burrata (Italy), celtuce leaf oshitashi (Japan). Everything was good except for the oshitashi, which was bitter. I still don’t understand celtuce.

IMG_2858

17 Likes

Seafood feast at Ramiro last night.

17 Likes

If you like really hot food, have you tried this chili oil: https://twitter.com/digitalwineguy/status/324624586278842368

I am really addicted to it and no other chili oil/hot sauce/what-have-you will do.

2 Likes

When we ate at Ramiro’s I wanted to order 8 scampi/langoustines. The waiter told me, “No, that would be too expensive.” But he let us have 6.

6 Likes

Can’t believe I never thought of saving those flavorful corn cobs and doing the stock thing. I sure will do so from now on. Great idea.

1 Like

Same here. It is freaky…

1 Like

This is one of the reasons I came to HO. To read Harters as well as Linda Whit. We go through a lot of corn here. I have seen pics of beautiful corn with dinners and they are lovely but I know to wait. The way it works in this hood is corn peaks from mid July through at least Sept. Often, so often the farm stand I patronize has a corn delivery on a little tractor thingie directly from the fields a stone throw away while I am there loading the graphics on the tomatoes and zucchini. Then we have corn for dinner. I slap down some potato salad and maybe some chili, not too spicy as the chili is only a minor character. I used to eat six ears of corn at it’s peak but now only three. Always cook six or seven ears though. Cdc (constant dining companion) can manage four. Good thing we have a chest freezer as the frozen corn cobs take up a lot of real estate.

5 Likes

We were swayed from Ramiro by people telling us about the interminable wait/lines (which we witnessed several times) and that the food was too touristy. Looks pretty damned good to this tourist.

1 Like

Dinner tonight is Thai style cashew chicken - https://hot-thai-kitchen.com/cashew-chicken/ . This was quick to make and very good!

18 Likes

Back after a wonderful 2 week trip to the PNW where I walked bunches & did no damage. Returned home mid May & promptly stepped on a stone oddly causing a green fracture in a metatarsal. ~ 4.5 weeks done of 8 in a walking boot. Not doing much cooking and it shows. Completely misjudged the salt (way too much) in this Penne W/ Sausage & Spinach from Cooks Illustrated that @MunchkinRedux made at the tail end of April; appreciated the delayed addition of the dried tomatoes & using the spinach quantity. Good bones for a lazy night dinner.

20 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was an asparagus shrimp risotto. Tapenade was added near the end of the cooking time to give it a darker colour.

18 Likes

Used up the rest of some Easter lamb, the rest of a package of Rancho Gordo’s Royal Corona beans, some frozen chicken stock, some chicken gravy, and some baby red potatoes in this lamb, white bean and spinach stew.

The soaking/boiling/simmering bean liquid was also used, which had some sauteed onion, garlic, and celery in it during the long simmer during the day to get the beans tender. I added some dried rosemary and thyme and s/p and a good squeeze of tomato paste as it all simmered and reduced, then tossed in several handfuls of baby spinach at the end to wilt.

There was some garlic/parsley ciabatta bread and wine alongside.

21 Likes

We had a rez so no wait. Food is very good.

1 Like

Currently sitting outside in perfect weather having a martini of Bombay Gin, Lillet Blanc, and orange bitters. Will head inside to cook soon, which will be the current Sunday favorite: chicken, fresh mozz, and sautéed broccoli rabe on crusted seeded semolina.

Yesterday was the fifth anniversary of dad’s passing, and when it happened it was on Father’s Day. So this weekend wasn’t exactly joyous. Had to work today and was really happy to be there. Sometimes it feels like yesterday, other times it feels like another lifetime. Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there.

26 Likes