What's for Dinner - #81 - the Planting Month - May 2022

Thanks, I’d heard of it before, but this was a first time trying it.

1 Like

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Brussel Sprouts and Spaetzle Gratin - Cooked brussel sprouts and spaetzle are mixed with bechamel sauce (more heavily spiced with nutmeg) and grated Gouda. Baked in the oven and than topped with roasted onions and chives

16 Likes

Yes! I was inspired to try “pernil for one” with country style ribs.

7 Likes

Oh sweetie I was old at 30. Going out and getting good food and bringing it home? Perfect!

More years later than I’d care to admit? Still perfect.

Your meal looks fab and count me in as a George Carlin co-fan.

3 Likes

Where is my portion of this? Correction - where is my BUCKET? This looks fab.

1 Like

That xtapodi! Faboski.

1 Like

I guess you can take Linda out for dinner but you can’t take steak tips out of Friday night’s dinner. Those look yummy.

7 Likes

:rofl: I hadn’t even thought about that, but you’re right!

4 Likes

Ooh nice! What a great idea to use country style ribs. I’ve saved the recipe and it will be interesting to try a new version!

Every time you have steak tips I always chuckle to myself. My uncle’s favorite restaurant used to be Hilltop Steak House and he ALWAYS had steak tips there. It’s the only place I had ever seen them.

Does Hilltop still even exist?

6 Likes

The octopus was fabulous; it was very tender and had a perfect char.

2 Likes

It’s one of those ‘must order’ dishes for me when it’s on the menu,.

1 Like

It has gone the way of the Dinosaur (and I’m not talking about the orange Dinosaur on Route 1 in Saugus…that’s still there…just moved up a bit closer to an office park/hotel that took the place of the the mini golf course where he used to be!) They sold off most of the fiberglass cows that stood sentinel out front. My sister says 2 cows are still there facing Rte. 1 in a new mini-shopping/housing area.

I used to drive to the Saugus Hilltop to buy their steak tips. The best ever.

3 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Pan-fried chicken boobz seasoned with paprika and ‘roast chicken’ seasoning. Didn’t quite get the sear on them I was hoping for (still on a learning curve with induction), but they were tasty nonetheless. New taterz with parsley butter and a salad of lamb’s lettuce, radishes, cuke, maters, avocado, tossed with a dressing of Knorr garden herb mix, peanut oil, lemon juice, s&p, Dijon mustard & a touch of crème fraîche. Positively stuffed now.

22 Likes

Yum!

1 Like

Last night was meatball sliders on brioche with Japanese mustard greens and spinach. So good.

Tonight, ww macaroni elbows with chickpeas, dino kale, ricotta, browned butter, garlic scapes, Parmesan, and garden dill, basil, and chives. It was OK.

20 Likes

Taste way better than look!!

An interesting fusion attempt by combining corned beef hash brown potatoes with diced Prosciutto and Chinese egg foo-yung style scrambled organic eggs.
Surprisingly delicious end results with every components jiving seamlessly together and created a salty, savoury, umami bomb!

20 Likes

An at-cabin dinner after driving around doing some antiquing and shopping.

Grilled chicken marinated in olive oil, s/p, and Herbs de Provence.

Sides were Jasmati rice and sauteed sugar snap peas, onions, and red bell pepper with s/p, and Penzeys’ Tuscan Sunset.

And wine.

22 Likes