What's for Dinner - #81 - the Planting Month - May 2022

Not much dinner cooking here recently. I made myself a “crazy bowl” of leftovers last night - cauli-jasmine rice topped with roasted beets and turnip, finely chopped cucumber, celery, and carrot, lightly smoked salmon (canned, from TJ’s), peanut sauce, rice wine vinegar, furikake, sesame seeds, and togarashi. It hit the spot.

I have been baking and prepping up a storm the last few days to get ready for our kiddo’s 5th birthday party:

The cookie decorating station was a huge hit :laughing:. We also ordered pizza.

24 Likes

That looks like such a fun party!! Bravo!! :partying_face:

4 Likes

Torchiette and grape tomatoes with pesto Genovese

Kind of rushed since had to finish before the game (go Warriors!) and don’t have my wood pestle here but still very good

22 Likes

Wow! 5 years already. Time flies.

1 Like

That’s true, but I think that restaurant staff is responsible for what happens in the restaurant, even when it’s uncomfortable and difficult. I also meant that the experience sounds so unpleasant that I would have a hard time going there again. Just my opinion.

1 Like

The staff was very pleasant and extremely apologetic. Aside from forcing the diners to get up, they couldn’t have done more.

3 Likes

Stunning!

I’m planning to make it tonight!

1 Like

Happy Birthday!

1 Like

Prime rib, veggies and salad, and some leftovers.

14 Likes

I made @MunchkinRedux’s pasta with greens, beans, tomatoes, and andouille using garden Swiss chard. I added a can of large limas and their liquid, as well as some homemade chicken broth and finished the pasta in the sauce. I would add a little tomato paste next time, I think. Very tasty almost-one-pot meal (I cooked the spicy sausage separately). Side of blanched green bean salad with avocado dressing. DH added fresh dill and chives to the salad - it’s definitely best with some fresh element.

16 Likes

Swedish meatballs (via ikea) pirogies (Mrs T’s) and baked beans (Bushes). Yummy!

17 Likes

A little lighter fare tonight. Our Mexi-mart sells precooked sausages of Argentinian, Uruguayan, Peruvian style, and tonight we had the Argentinian. BF made boiled/roasted potatoes, a salad of slivered tomatoes/red onions, capers and kalamata olives, half a hard boiled egg each, and a grilled whole scallion. Also llajwa (Bolivian salsa) which got slathered over everything.

20 Likes

Have you ever tried making Ikea’s meatballs? They released the recipe during the pandemic - we love it.

4 Likes

We neglected to properly thin our leeks last year, and this spring have a plethora of slender ones. I had hoped tonight to make a repeat of the Afghan Aushak (leek and scallion dumplings) with some of them, but life got in the way. Instead, I followed the lead of another poster here, and made a lamb and leek ragu based on a similar recipe.

Served over pasta and topped with a pile of baby garden peas.

17 Likes

Stir-fried pork tenderloin with choy sum in plum sauce (plum sauce, rice wine, soy sauce and toasted sesame oil) over rice

19 Likes

Fried rice with impossible burger and lettuce, and smashed cucumber salad.

21 Likes

Finally turned the broth and chicken from the white-cooked chicken I made when I got back two weeks ago into Tom Kha Kai. So delicious for so little effort!

Started with a small bowl for dinner (I made it for lunch) while I figured out what actual dinner would be.

Since the mushrooms have been sitting in the fridge for a while (oyster and baby trumpet) I sautéed them, then remembered the small butternut squash I bought at the same time last week, so I pan-roasted that as well with some red onion (pan faster than oven…)

Dinner ended up being a big salad of all that plus shaved fennel and arugula, dressed simply with olive oil, red wine vinegar, and a squeeze of lemon to finish - just delicious. I’ve never been a salad person, but I’ve really been enjoying these big dinner salads of late, especially the fennel-arugula combination, which I do love.

18 Likes

:open_mouth: :yum:

@Mr_Happy I have wondered about the mock meats for fried rice! Nice to see they work.

I will add that the Colombus turkey bacon from Costco makes a fabulous fried rice.

1 Like