What's for Dinner - #81 - the Planting Month - May 2022

I picked it up yesterday wondering, and then put it back. So it was good then?

I actually thought Nigella’s (ie Ash Sarkar’s) was the equivalent easy/tasty to my friend’s mom’s mustard fish adaptation that uses Coleman’s. I think you’d like it more than the one you linked, which has tomatoes and peas (the latter doesn’t go with indian fish in my brain).

There are as many bharta/bhorta/chokha (one state over) recipes as families. It’s intended to be an easy flavor-punch mash to go with rice when the rest of the meal is bland (eg plain dal).

Re mustard oil - I used to stock it but never used it… and I forgot to bring some back. So I use a sharp olive oil to finish instead, and a bit of sharp mustard in the dish (Coleman’s or similar).

There are some import restrictions so south asian mustard oil In the US can’t be sold as edible - it will be in the beauty section :joy:

4 Likes

Stir fried beef (filet mignon) with gai lan and an oyster sauce, garlic, ginger, soy sauce and sesame oil based sauce

14 Likes

Oh my. MY. Not that the rest of your dinner wasn’t fab but this sounded so wonderful I had to google it. Could you maybe do a pic of the ingredients list? Cuz I find recipes that use butter, cocoa, sugar, salt and vanilla. But then some things I find say it’s just butter and cocoa…

And clearly - CLEARLY - this is something I need. Especially on fresh baked bread…

Fingers crossed and many thanks!

2 Likes

thank you!

the chocolate butter is a revelation. and i’m not really a big sweets person.

2 Likes

i’ll have to look later on… i’ll get back to you.

1 Like

Pimiento cheese sandwich

14 Likes

Nice meal. Love the flowers. My peonies sprung up over night here in
Penna

Tonight we have spaghetti with creamy sauce and mushrooms

14 Likes

Mushroom pasta may just be one of my favorite dishes to eat :yum:

But that looks like fettuccine or linguine to me, not spaghetti (?).

3 Likes

Yes, you are right, it is just a matter of habit - my little daughter eats only “spaghetti” - despite the fact that it can be tagliatelle, fusilli, farfalle and even gnocchi :laughing: we call it all - spaghetti

10 Likes

Gotcha. Why complicate things :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve started the June thread here.

4 Likes

How did that come out? I keep hearing people say you can do a steak in the air fryer but I’ve always been hesitant.

1 Like

I have been trying to find the perfect temp and timing for cooking steak in the air fryer. The one cooked the other night was at 380 for 6 minutes. Still not rare enough for me, so next time will cook a total of 5 minutes. They are unbelievably juice and tender when cooked in air fryer and I highly recommend. This is how I prepared the one the other night. The marinade was an experiment and I truly liked it.

Waiting2Retire’s AF Steak
For large steak
1 T oil
3/4 tsp ground black pepper
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp soy sauce

Whisk together oil, pepper, salt, and soy sauce.
Add steak to Pyrex dish and pour in sauce until coated. Sprinkle with garlic salt. Marinate at least 30 minutes Then flip in the dish brush with marinade, sprinkle with garlic salt, and marinate another 30 minutes.

Preheat air fryer on Air Fry setting for 5 minutes @380. Add steak when “Add Food” comes on. Cook in middle slot of oven-type air fryer. After 3 minutes, flip and continue for another 2 minutes. When done add a pat of butter.

If you try it, hope you like it.

5 Likes

Nice Linda. Always look forward to your monthly intros. Thank you.

2 Likes

I hope to try it soon. Will post pics!

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s For Dinner #82 - June 2022 - the Scary Campfire Stories and Sticky S’Mores Month

Yeah, definitely decent! We liked it.

@Happybaker sorry it took me so long - here’s a pic of the ingredients.

all natural ingredients…

2 Likes