What's for Dinner - #81 - the Planting Month - May 2022

Have been craving good grilled chicken, so dinner tonight is a spatchcocked, dry brined pasture raised bird, seasoned with TJ Ajika seasoning, grilled on our little propane Weber Q220 :yum:. Good white corn on the cob & a salad of chopped cauliflower, yellow zuke, red onion, garlic, Italian parsley & tomato dressed with olive oil & lemon juice. Altogether a very satisfying meal :heart:

21 Likes

@ChristinaM - you are the bomb. Know that.

A thoughtful meal, offered with hope and choices is way more powerful than you know.

Thank you and, carry on!

4 Likes

Awww kitty! Stay cool!

Happy Victoria Day.

1 Like

Last night’s dinner was pan fried Korean short ribs wrapped in a lettuce leaf with sriracha and sliced tomato and fiddleheads on the side.

19 Likes

@piragde mentioned that there are no knives in a post from March 2017.

https://www.hungryonion.org/t/recommendations-for-berlin-and-hamburg/8812/6

2 Likes

From the sounds of their post, they seemed to have a few more … unusual issues that made it difficult for them to consume the chicken like everyone else, including myself: with their hands :slight_smile:

I don’t even use the fork for the chicken, just the potato salad. Sometimes it’s good to go native.

1 Like

Another light dinner: asparagus soup from the supermarket, augmented with 3 stalks of asparagus cut into coins and par-boiled, s&p, and fresh parsley.

A salad I first had many moons ago at an Italian restaurant in my hometown that was run by a dude from Bologna. It doesn’t get much simpler than this, but the combination is truly fab: arugula tossed with lemon oil, s&p, fresh ground parmesan & topped with poached shrimp. Sofa king good :slight_smile:

21 Likes

This was dinner a couple of nights ago, or at least a part of it.

From top to bottom:

Steamed Chinese broccoli (or “gai lan”)

Red braised pork spare ribs, with carrots, daikon and hard boiled eggs

Stir fried zucchini with yellow and red bell peppers

Stir-fried cauliflower with tomatoes.

f

20 Likes

Thank you!

Last night, I had my morning all planned out. I was going to go up to Salem, NH to run errands at Kohls, Petco, Christmas Tree Shop, BJs, World Market, and Market Basket, all within a couple of miles of each other.

This morning: :::Screech::: My phone’s calendar reminder at 8 a.m. of my haircut in the OPPOSITE direction put the kibosh on those plans.

:::PIVOT:::

Petco remained in the errand mix, as the boyz need their food and litter, and Trader Joe’s and Wegmans were the replacements. (Not bad replacements.)

So dinner was sea scallops from Wegmans, as it always is on Haircut Day. Simply seasoned with s/p and pan-seared (although they didn’t come out as seared as I would have liked, despite being dry as a bone).

Served on toasted Israeli couscous with red onion and dried thyme, with a mango salsa on top (Italian flat leaf parsley standing in for the dreaded cilantro), and steamed asparagus.

A 2020 Hahn Chardonnay as the libation. And I’ll remain indoors during our 97° Sunday.

22 Likes

We brought dinner over to our friends’ place to enjoy together:

Pita chips, hummus, and spinach dip (all purchased)
Pork tenderloin marinated in lemon, oo, garlic, rosemary, and fennel and grilled/smoked
Sauteed garden Swiss chard
Mac n cheese
CSA lettuce salad with fig balsamic vinaigrette

They made a watermelon, feta, and mint salad and tiramisu. So full.

I brought this rosé, which was really nice.

22 Likes

I thought these were tacos de canasta at first. If you’ve never had them, I highly recommend giving them a try if you ever have a small crowd to feed.

3 Likes

I almost never have or make dinner because lunch is the main meal here, but occasionally I make something. Tacos árabes are light enough to serve as dinner, so I decided to make some tonight. Usually I go with pita or similar yeast-raised flatbread, but I decided on tortillas this time, which are perfect for this. I always like some avocado on my tacos árabes. In a way I like the simpler taco árabe more than al pastor. The flavors of the spicy red chili salsa with the garlicky yogurt sauce and the ultra savory, crispy pork just really work perfectly for me.

23 Likes

And @bcc thank you, that gives me warm fuzzies.

Well with the beach club move in day looming tomorrow and some family visiting today it was time for a family meal. Family tradition Sunday sauce with sausage and grandma’s meat balls.

( kudos to Pastosa’s of Brooklyn who opened locally to me)

Apps: spinach & bacon bread ( store made) - fresh mozzarella w/sweet roasted peppers

Garlic toast points with broccoli rabe, prosciutto and balsamic reduction drizzle (a new favorite)

Italian egg rolls - homemade garlic bread both with Sunday sauce.
Regular toasted Italian round.

Entrees: crab ravioli in a vodka sauce, rigatoni in sauce, meat

Delicious! It’s always family first!

23 Likes

A simple, truly one-pot dinner from Budget Bytes: pasta with spinach, onion, bacon, and parm. Don’t skip the lemon and red pepper flakes.

20 Likes

Big ass oysters. (This is their official name.)

IMG_2513

Also squid and portabello, roasted, over balcony lettuce, my one good crop so far.

IMG_2513

19 Likes

I’m ** yrs old and I have never had perogies. I saw Mrs. T’s in the grocery store and remembered that they were the ones @NotJrvedivici used. I served them with Italian sausage, broccoli and a sour cream chive sauce. Red cabbage, carrot, green onion slaw. Oo and vinegar dressing. They were good, very filling.

22 Likes

I started off my birthday weekend with an excellent dinner at James on Main in Hackettstown. My actual birthday is on Tuesday the 24th. We enjoyed wood fired NY strip steak in a red wine bordelaise sauce with potato mille-feuille and green and white asparagus; burrata with English peas, organic cucumber, and shaved radish; chilled asparagus soup with foraged watercress, Meyer lemon yogurt, and toasted bulgur wheat; Icelandic cod tempura with foraged ramps, cashew velvet, white asparagus, and pineapple gochujang BBQ; soft shell crab; awesome hand cut truffled fries; and chocolate mousse for dessert. It all went great with an excellent Chateauneuf Du Pape and red blend.

22 Likes